Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 PM

181 posts, read 631,469 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from Michigan. It has been a big change and adjustment that is still in progress. Did anyone else from Michigan or a northern state move here as well. What was the hardest adjustment and the least hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 05:45 AM

38 posts, read 131,529 times
Hello! I know you were asking about people who have already moved...but since we are moving in less than two weeks I thought I might be able to get away with saying hi. My family will be leaving Kalamazoo/Portage Mi for Wilson NC. Only my husband has been able to actually visit so we will be renting while we learn the area and decide where to live. I think the biggest adjustment will be apartment living until we find an area we like...but since we haven't even left yet I'm not sure.

How about you, what are you having the most trouble or fun with?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:18 PM

Well it is hot here and humid. In the early morning it can be in the 80's already. I'm not used to that and the my kids can't really go out and play. It seems like winter in Mihigan only it is summer and everyone is in their homes with the air on.We are renting to. WE have been here for two weeks and I have to say it hasn't been easy for me. I just miss my older kids and the feeling of belonging. When I go shopping at Walmart as I did in Michigan as they are all the same inside. Here I forget and will see someone and think I know them and have to remind myself that I don't know them or anyone else. We only moved in to our house this last week and we still aren't moved in yet. We had no family here or friends to help so it took forever. I guess it will take time.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:15 AM

14 posts, read 38,546 times
Hi Reese,
My wife and I moved to NC a year ago from West Branch Michigan. It hasn't been easy for us either. I lost my business in MI and haven't been able to sell our beautiful home there that we will lose soon. We are renting a house in Waxhaw, NC now and we've driven all over the State. It seems every town here has it's good and bad parts unlike Michigan with entire towns being good or bad. My wife found a good job right away but, I'm still looking. After sending hundreds of resume's and going on numerous interviews, I'm losing faith. I'm an electronic technician and didn't think I'd have much trouble finding something here. The fact is, if I could work for $9.00 per hour, there is work, if you want to call it that. I keep getting told I'm overqualified which generally means I'm too high priced. We found the Raleigh area to be very nice compared to Charlotte. It's a college town with lots of cool stuff going on and seems quite safe in most area's. We'll likely end up living in the town of Monroe which definitely has it's very bad parts but, very good parts too. It's close to work for my wife and I'm pursueing any job in that area right now.

The weather here is tough to get used to but, not impossible. People are generally very nice but, you still have to be careful. I've found that being a Northerner, it takes people awhile to trust you and you really have to show that you can be trusted. At least they do trust you eventually. The Southern food is great, and the low taxes and gas prices compared to MI are a relief.

Anyway, I hope you get used to things and finding work for you is easier. Maybe this could help. Plan a day-long ride over to Myrtle Beach or Charleston, SC. It's really nice over there right on the ocean. Take the less traveled roads to get there and stop at the little diners on the way. It's a long but, nice day.

Take care,
Jim

Old 08-05-2008, 06:32 PM

Thank you for your thoughts. We to lost our home in Michigan because there isn't any work. My husband found a ood job here and that is why we moved. I'm really having a hard time. I hope it gets better.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
you have to be creative when talking about where you are from to the locals. you aren't from the north, you are from the midwest. there is a huge difference between people from michigan, and people from NY. my experience with those from michigan, wisconsin, and places like that, is that they are for the most part friendly people. I am pretty well traveled. born in michigan, grew up outside DC, and lived in several other areas. I get along with locals just fine down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reese7 View Post
Thank you for your thoughts. We to lost our home in Michigan because there isn't any work. My husband found a ood job here and that is why we moved. I'm really having a hard time. I hope it gets better.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 PM

Since we have been here about three weeks I haved noticed this. We are adopted parents in Michigan we were Foster parents. We adopted three children and one is african american and we are white. I feel like in stores people are staring at us and even my daughter who is 5 said the same thing last night when we were in walmart. In Michigan that never happened. Is this a issue here people raising children of different races? MY husband works in Virginia in the Hampton Roads area and he thought that there were more people that wer transplates there then where we are living in North Carolina.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM

62 posts, read 202,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reese7 View Post
We just moved here from Michigan. It has been a big change and adjustment that is still in progress. Did anyone else from Michigan or a northern state move here as well. What was the hardest adjustment and the least hard.
My husband and I just moved to NC a month ago. We are from Bay City, MI but we only lived there for a year when we got married (he's from Midland, I was from Mt. Pleasant). We weren't forced to move but we weren't happy and couldn't see ourselves settling down there.

Anyway, we haven't lived in NC long and we can't even start settling in yet. My husband's new company gave us the option of temporary housing for 2 months. They set us up in Chapel Hill, but in a few weeks we'll be in our own place in Mebane.

I'm just now getting homesick because I haven't met anyone yet and I'm so far from family. I love everything about the area otherwise, I just need some friends I can talk to.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 PM

I know how you feel. At first we have been here 3 weeks and just moved into a rented home last week. Now that we are somewhAt settled I miss people more. Good luck

Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,103 times
Default Michigan to NC

Hi Everyone,

My hubby and I grew up in SC, and both our families lived in SC. One day -- October 19, 1987 -- hubby goes to work and is laid off within 2 hours of his arrival that day, the stock market crashed, he accepted a job offer at Parke Davis in Ann Arbor, MI, and we learned I was pregnant with our first baby. Off to Michigan we went, and we had no family near by -- visits to family were now 12 to 14 hour drives or were expensive air fares that we, as a young couple, could not easily afford.

It took time, but Michigan became home. Both of our children were born in Michigan and grew up there. Hubby worked for Parke Davis, later Pfizer, and we enjoyed great family benefits and relative job security. I stayed home for several years raising our girls and later returned to work, and this past year would have been 10 years that I returned to work.

Then came January 2007 -- Pfizer announces they are closing the Ann Arbor research facility. After many months and many hours spent agonizing, we came to NC. We were coming back to the South! We should be so excited!

After learning that it took time to adjust to Michigan, we are allowing ourselves time to adjust to NC. We loved Michigan -- we loved our house (that we could not sell but were able to find a renter for), we loved our friends, we loved our Church, hubby loved his job, I loved my job... Alas, some things are not meant to continue. Right after we left Michigan, my employer (the job I had just left) laid off my department -- I would have been out of a job. We know this was the right move for us.

We are giving it time. I am going back to school, we are going to Church and making new friends, we both have new jobs, we have a beautiful new house, and we are closer to relatives in SC.

Please allow yourselves time to adjust. It tooks us a couple years to really settle into Michigan, so I am allowing plenty of time for us to settle in here. Get out, meet your neighbors, make friends, do whatever it takes!

Feel free to send me a DM if you have any questions, and good luck! And... Go Blue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina