Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine recently moved from CT to Charlotte area, NC and after 8 months came running back to CT. He said that it was rather difficult to live there as a nonreligious person. People would frequently ask him, "Which congregation are you going to join?" He found it to be very annoying and decided to move out once and for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
A friend of mine recently moved from CT to Charlotte area, NC and after 8 months came running back to CT. He said that it was rather difficult to live there as a nonreligious person. People would frequently ask him, "Which congregation are you going to join?" He found it to be very annoying and decided to move out once and for all.
if your friend is so insecure on a basic conversation question in getting to know someone then sounds like he has bigger issues.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:03 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Was he walking around in a church for 8 months or what?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM

68 posts, read 138,101 times
LOL, Raleigh doesnt have a small town feel. I dont know what kind of drugs you are on to think that.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 AM

68 posts, read 138,101 times
Funny, Ive lived in NC all my life and have never had anyone ask me what church I go to.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:11 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper952 View Post
LOL, Raleigh doesnt have a small town feel. I dont know what kind of drugs you are on to think that.
And this next statement explains why you feel your first statement is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper952 View Post
Funny, Ive lived in NC all my life and have never had anyone ask me what church I go to.
To the op. Also check out some areas 25 to 30 miles outside of Raleigh/Durham to find what you are looking for.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
^ North Carolina is one of the most urbanized states in my opinion. 10th most populous spread out among the state. So if he has lived in NC for his whole life, I don't see how that "explains a lot."

North Carolina is more urbanized as a whole than even Illinois and Georgia are as a whole in my opinion.

Take North Carolina's Top 10 Cities VS. Illinois and Georgia's Top 10 cities. I bet most of ours would be larger or the same besides Chicago VS. Atlanta VS. Charlotte.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM

24 posts, read 47,473 times
I totally agree with above ^^ North Carolina is a wonderful state and hard to beat. We have large cities (but not ghetto like Atlanta), beautiful mountains, wonderful coastline and more!

The MAJOR thing is you MUST find a job first. I think that is going to dictate where you live...CLT or RTP.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:09 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This is the one time when I must disagree. Chicago and Atl alone both have metros more populated than Charlotte/Triangle/Triad combined. In all honesty, Charleston and Charlotte (thanks to their downtowns) are the only cities in the Carolinas that actually feel like somewhat large cities. When standing on King Street in Charleston or the corner of Trade/Tryon in Charlotte, one feels as though they are in MUCH larger cities than what they are truly in. Everything else in NC/SC (and I do mean EVERYTHING else) truly feels like "small towns". This is coming from someone that has traveled the entire lower 48 as both a trucker and a tourist.

No offense to Raleigh, but even the likes of Birmingham, Ala, El Paso, TX, and Omaha, Nebraska all feel like larger cities than Raleigh. That is not to say that Raleigh is "small". It just looks and feels small. The OP was spot on with his/her "small town feel" description. Only folks with limited travel experience outside of NC would disagree with that honest statement.

FWIW, Charlotte feels "smaller" than about 20 to 25 other US cities/metros (and quite a few of these metros make Charlotte look and feel like mayberry). This is NOT an insult to Charlotte. It's just me keeping it real.
Seek help.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 6,417 times
I guess I worded my thoughts wrong. I don't expect to come to the actual city of Charlotte or Raleigh and expect to get a "small town feel." What I'm looking for are those places 20 miles out of the actual metro area, where people who work in the city can live away from the chaos and still have an acceptable drive to get to work everyday.

As far as religion goes, we completely realize that NC is close to, if not part of, the bible belt. We have friends who live in the Raleigh area and my mom lives in SC and both were originally from Ohio and know what to tell us to expect and both have warned us that it's much more religious than NE Ohio. That doesn't scare us though. We're not religious but we don't run around broadcasting our beliefs to people so we're hoping it won't really make a difference. My mom never attends church and no one gives her a hard time about it so I'm sure we'll be fine also

We also fully expected everyone on this forum to have different opinions of the areas; we wanted to hear both sides because inevitably there are good and bad things about every city and you never know who's opinion may influence your decision. We were previously hell bent on moving to Houston and I talked to a lady on here who mentioned in passing that there's no good hiking in TX because it's all flat with no trees. That was big enough that it totally changed our minds but something we hadn't even thought to consider. So please, all information we can get will help, even if it's just your opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina