Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:29 PM

285 posts, read 1,040,013 times

Advertisements

I moved from Durham to Orange County in '03. We live in the country, not far from Maple View Dairy. We heard coyotes and found coyote scat and wondered if we had lost our minds, because we had no idea there were actual coyotes in the area. Then one day we saw one within a mile of Maple View Dairy. Since then, we still occasionally find coyote scat near the gas line where we go hiking. My sense is that packs pass through fairly frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 11:52 PM

25 posts, read 153,267 times
I have lived here for the past 3 years and didn't even have a clue there were coyotes around here until I read this thread. Never heard or seen any. Chances of cats getting hit by a car are a much bigger worry than coyotes and bears!

Old 09-28-2007, 02:19 AM
jdl

2 posts, read 41,815 times
Default Coyotes

We have seen 4 to 6 at a time running between houses here. We have lost two grown cats to them.. Our neighbors have seen them run onto their decks and grab their cats and run away with them.. When sirens can be heard in the distance so can the coyotes. 1 year ago they sounded like maybe a dozen or so singing in the night. Now there may be 30 or more and the sounds are from different areas around us at the same times. They must like our community they are either still moving in or reproducing quickly.
I am searching for a trapper to thin them out or totally erradicate them. If I ever get a chance to kill one myself I will.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:26 AM

583 posts, read 2,803,031 times
I've seen two coyotes. One was on family land in Sampson County. It was young & came toward the truck while we were looking for deer one night. It was eery--we tried to make it be a fox or something, but it was clearly a coyote. It came within a few yards of the truck & stayed for a long while. I got to check him out really good with binoculars. When it's quiet, you can hear the young howling in the woods. Needless to say I'd have to have a really good reason to go in the deep woods after dark! The second I saw get hit crossing I-40 near the Cary/54 exit while I was running an errand at lunch. The one in Cary definitely surprised me. There's also been lots of documented cases of coyotes in Forsyth/Stokes counties. My parents have trouble with trying to get the young animals on the farm. A while back the coyotes even attacked a dog being walked on a leash up that way. That would have REALLY scared me!

Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 AM

68 posts, read 211,211 times
I was told that a dozen or so years back, that the state actually released coyotes here in the foothills. I've heard (at work) that they are a problem killing small animals and chickens. I've never seen one, but I have seen a lot of foxes (or what I've assumed were foxes!)

Old 09-28-2007, 08:09 PM

673 posts, read 2,681,101 times
My neighbor said she saw one in her backyard several months ago. I wasn't thrilled with this news. I am in Union County.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I live right by that exit in Cary but I've never seen one or heard one and I've been here 36 years. I hope I never do! I have seen plenty of foxes though.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:51 AM

450 posts, read 2,321,943 times
I have family in Brunswick County near Shallotte, and they have 100+ acres of land, and they see coyotes quite often. They worry about their cats and other animals.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:05 PM

9 posts, read 31,635 times
I live in Wake County, the north end. I have coyotes go between my fence and the pond behind me. They seem very cautious. Glad I am fenced for the kitty's sake.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:47 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
When sirens can be heard in the distance so can the coyotes. 1 year ago they sounded like maybe a dozen or so singing in the night. Now there may be 30 or more and the sounds are from different areas around us at the same times.
The fire truck and police sirens seem to get them going in our area as well. I can hear at least one large pack of them within a mile of our house. At first I thought that there was a dog kennel nearby, but soon realized that they were coyotes. We live about 1/2 mile west of 401 at Ten Ten. We had lots of them in Dallas too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina