U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-03-2012, 04:05 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,931,770 times
Reputation: 4077

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well it depends on where in AL. If you put them in Birmingham or Huntsville or Mobile, they'd say it was culturally different simply due to the rural/urban differences; they'd say the same if you put them in Charlotte or Raleigh or Winston-Salem. But if you put them in a similar rural area in AL, they could probably go on with life without missing a beat, especially if you're talking about the coastal plain areas of both regions.

Culturally, I think the only places in NC that might be said to have something of a mid-Atlantic-ish vibe are the Outer Banks and the Triangle. Structurally, there are hints of it in Winston-Salem.
I disagree about rural AL as opposed to rural NC. There are some similarities, but the two are quite different culturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2012, 04:29 PM
 
29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Reputation: 18529
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I disagree about rural AL as opposed to rural NC. There are some similarities, but the two are quite different culturally.
How so, comparing similar rural regions in both states? I'm not saying they are identical--rural Alabama can look more run down in places than rural NC, for instance--but what huge cultural differences are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 04:54 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,931,770 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so, comparing similar rural regions in both states? I'm not saying they are identical--rural Alabama can look more run down in places than rural NC, for instance--but what huge cultural differences are there?
I've been to both and they are different...I can't really list the minutia of each area, but they do not feel like the same place culturally. If you were dropped on the middle of each place I feel sure you could tell the difference in accent, scenery, food, etc.

I was making a point that the South is not the same culture across the board, therefore just because somewhere like MD or NOVA are different doesn't mean they aren't southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 05:27 PM
 
202 posts, read 300,565 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so, comparing similar rural regions in both states? I'm not saying they are identical--rural Alabama can look more run down in places than rural NC, for instance--but what huge cultural differences are there?
There aren't many cultural differences. I'm a rural North Carolinian. I've been to rural Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi. I've also, on more than one occasion, visited rural Pennsylvania and Maryland. I've been to Delaware a couple of times. You are absolutely correct in saying that a rural North Carolinian would hardly miss a beat in the Southern states. That would most certainly not be the case in the Mid-Atlantic states. Hell, I feel like a fish out of water not long after I pass Richmond on 95 North. The culture is just far too different. I'm sure there are a few similarities, but not nearly like you'd find in other parts of the South. Although, I will credit parts of southern Maryland for retaining some Southern culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 05:31 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,931,770 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
There aren't many cultural differences. I'm a rural North Carolinian. I've been to rural Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi. I've also, on more than one occasion, visited rural Pennsylvania and Maryland. I've been to Delaware a couple of times. You are absolutely correct in saying that a rural North Carolinian would hardly miss a beat in the Southern states. That would most certainly not be the case in the Mid-Atlantic states. Hell, I feel like a fish out of water not long after I pass Richmond on 95 North. The culture is just far too different. I'm sure there are a few similarities, but not nearly like you'd find in other parts of the South. Although, I will credit parts of southern Maryland for retaining some Southern culture.
My experience with rural Alabama is different from yours for some reason, so I totally disagree. I would say any rural area anywhere in the U.S. is going to have some similarities, but they would be different enough that you can tell the difference - even within the same region and even within the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Albemarle, NC and Gaithersburg, MD
113 posts, read 160,192 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I've been to both and they are different...I can't really list the minutia of each area, but they do not feel like the same place culturally. If you were dropped on the middle of each place I feel sure you could tell the difference in accent, scenery, food, etc.

I was making a point that the South is not the same culture across the board, therefore just because somewhere like MD or NOVA are different doesn't mean they aren't southern.
I agree with you that the South is not the same across the board. I have spent some time in Alabama. I have visited Montgomery, Birmingham, Mobile, and Eufaula. Yes there are some differences, but it is still the South. The culture is similar enough that it would not be a dramatic cultural change for someone to go from AL to NC, or vice versa. It would be like someone from Vermont going to Maine. There are differences, but it still has the same New England feel. However, if you take someone from AL or NC and put them in Delaware, that would be a significant change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 PM
 
202 posts, read 300,565 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
My experience with rural Alabama is different from yours for some reason, so I totally disagree. I would say any rural area anywhere in the U.S. is going to have some similarities, but they would be different enough that you can tell the difference - even within the same region and even within the South.
Fair enough. What, in your opinion, are the differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM
 
29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Reputation: 18529
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I've been to both and they are different...I can't really list the minutia of each area, but they do not feel like the same place culturally. If you were dropped on the middle of each place I feel sure you could tell the difference in accent, scenery, food, etc.
I haven't found any drastic differences. I don't have experience with the mountainous/Piedmont areas in both states, but eastern NC and south AL in particular are pretty similar in that Deep South sort of way: agricultural, more impoverished, large Black population, lots of Baptist churches, soul food/country cookin'/BBQ, general Southern accents, etc.

Quote:
I was making a point that the South is not the same culture across the board, therefore just because somewhere like MD or NOVA are different doesn't mean they aren't southern.
I thought his point was that the differences meant that NC wasn't mid-Atlantic. I don't think we were talking about the disputed Southerness of NOVA or MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 05:45 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,931,770 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I haven't found any drastic differences. I don't have experience with the mountainous/Piedmont areas in both states, but eastern NC and south AL in particular are pretty similar in that Deep South sort of way: agricultural, more impoverished, large Black population, lots of Baptist churches, soul food/country cookin'/BBQ, general Southern accents, etc.



I thought his point was that the differences meant that NC wasn't mid-Atlantic. I don't think we were talking about the disputed Southerness of NOVA or MD.
Okay, that's your experience. Mine is different...I'm a different person in the world, and to me the differences in rural AL and rural NC are obvious. But I guess we don't see things the same way do we?

That may have been his point, I don't even know now. I wasn't talking about HIS point - I was talking about MY point. Geez.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 09-03-2012 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 06:14 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,824,138 times
Reputation: 2068
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I disagree about rural AL as opposed to rural NC. There are some similarities, but the two are quite different culturally.
My mother is originally from rural Alabama. Outside of Selma, Alabama. She settled in Coastal/Eastern North Carolina without missing a beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top