U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 PM

8,190 posts, read 10,803,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
Transplants don't identify themselves as Southern. Interesting! In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet.
Actually, I've seen more than a few posts in there where someone says "I can't wait to move there and be a Southerner!"

Um, sorry, being "Southern" is about the way you are raised, where your roots are, the way you talk, etc. Just like I could move to NYC but I wouldn't be a "New Yorker" or moving to Texas and saying I was a Texan in the sense that they use it (and take pride in), even though in the most literal sense I would.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 02:11 PM

113 posts, read 87,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Actually, I've seen more than a few posts in there where someone says "I can't wait to move there and be a Southerner!"

Um, sorry, being "Southern" is about the way you are raised, where your roots are, the way you talk, etc. Just like I could move to NYC but I wouldn't be a "New Yorker" or moving to Texas and saying I was a Texan in the sense that they use it (and take pride in), even though in the most literal sense I would.
I do have to disagree with you somewhat here. I think that if someone moves to a southern state and embraces the culture, they can claim to be Southern. I love NC, have a Confederate flag hanging in my room, a Carolina Panthers license plate on my car, and my northern friends say that I have a southern accent. Can I not claim to be a southerner. My wife's grandfather calls me a "converted yankee." I can live that. I will get offended if I am lumped into the same group of people who come down to NC with the "this is how we do it up north" attitude. When I meet someone like that, I am very tempted to tell them that I will be happy to drive them to the nearest airport where they can get on the next plane to LaGuardia. Either that or I can give them directions to I-95 North. Nobody forced them to come here. If someone does not like the NC culture, they can leave. I left the North because I could not stand most northerners and their northern attitude.

This type of mindset is not limited to the South. I know people that have lived in Vermont for 50+ years, and but are still considered "flat landers" because they were not born and raised there. If you live someplace and embrace the local culture, you should not be considered an outsider.

Nobody can change where they were born, but they can change their attitude about where they live.

Last edited by Ex Vermonter; 09-07-2012 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 PM

568 posts, read 412,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Vermonter View Post
I do have to disagree with you somewhat here. I think that if someone moves to a southern state and embraces the culture, they can claim to be Southern. I love NC, have a Confederate flag hanging in my room, a Carolina Panthers license plate on my car, and my northern friends say that I have a southern accent. Can I not claim to be a southerner. My wife's grandfather calls me a "converted yankee." I can live that. I will get offended if I am lumped into the same group of people who come down to NC with the "this is how we do it up north" attitude. When I meet someone like that, I am very tempted to tell them that I will be happy to drive them to the nearest airport where they can get on the next plane to LaGuardia. Either that or I can give them directions to I-95 North. Nobody forced them to come here. If someone does not like the NC culture, they can leave. I left the North because I could not stand most northerners and their northern attitude.

This type of mindset is not limited to the South. I know people that have lived in Vermont for 50+ years, and but are still considered "flat landers" because they were not born and raised there. If you live someplace and embrace the local culture, you should not be considered an outsider.

Nobody can change where they were born, but they can change their attitude about where they live.

I respect transplants that assimilate to our culture but can you call yourself a true southerner? A lot of it has to do with being raised here. That's my opinion.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:46 AM

113 posts, read 87,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I respect transplants that assimilate to our culture but can you call yourself a true southerner? A lot of it has to do with being raised here. That's my opinion.
If you look at it in terms of where I was born, no. I can't change what it says on my birth certificate. As far as where my heart is, it is 100% southern!

Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,988,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Vermonter View Post
If you look at it in terms of where I was born, no. I can't change what it says on my birth certificate. As far as where my heart is, it is 100% southern!
As far as I'm concerned, anyone from Vermont or NH can gain full membership as a southerner. You guys are our kindred spirits of New England.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:32 PM

200 posts, read 159,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I'm going to have to agree completely. I think you have to be born and raised here by parents that were born and raised here to be a true Southerner. It usually takes a few generations. Being southern isn't just Confederate flags, accents, and adopting a local team. It's fond memories of Grandma's ham biscuits, fried okra, collard greens, etc. It's growing up with oyster roasts and pig pickin's and then having your daddy teach you how to continue these traditions. It's religiously believing that Eastern NC barbecue is far superior to Lexington style. It's the tongue lashings you'd receive from your parents for not saying "Sir" or "Ma'am" to an adult. It's going hunting the same friends and family that you went hunting with as a child. It's being taught the difference between the real Stars and Bars, the Stainless Banner, and the Blood-Stained Banner. I could go on and on and on. This is all simply my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

With that being said, I can wholeheartedly appreciate your love for our culture. I always enjoy hearing from transplants that have completely adopted our way of life. Ex-Vermonter, you are A-OK in the book of this North Carolinian.

Last edited by SonofDixie; 09-08-2012 at 02:01 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 PM

15 posts, read 9,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Mid-atlantic is just a subgrouping of some of the states from two different regions. The southern states that are in the mid-atlantic area are still southern...same goes for the northeastern and "border" states. I look at mid-atlantic as a different designation of some states from the Northeast and Southeast that are in the middle. It's not really a big deal - those states in question are still part of their larger regions.
I like how you just put that . . . I still am resolute in saying and maintaining that NC is a strong southeasstern state. Any time I been to VA or MD they would pick at us for the way we talked and or knew we weren't from there. Economically we can bare similarities to Norway for all I know but culturally things just aren't the same.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:25 PM

1,298 posts, read 715,740 times
What is Mid-Atlantic supposed to be? I like "New South" better.

Charlotte - Atlanta - New Orleans - Raleigh - Memphis - Tampa - Columbia - Myrtle Beach

VS.

Charlotte - Richmond - Baltimore - Raleigh - Philadelphia - Pittsburg - Arlington - Washington DC - Charlottesville - Virginia Beach

It seems weird to see Charlotte/Raleigh grouped with other Mid-Atlantic cities instead of southern cities. And There is nothing "Mid-Atlantic" about rural NC...

Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 PM

9,051 posts, read 16,475,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Amen

This "mid Atlantic" tripe is largely argued by transplants from the north and to me it is a product of most Yankees' underlying prejudice about all things southern.
And how dare you tell them their newly beloved NC is anything like Alabama!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 PM

1,298 posts, read 715,740 times
^ or worse... Mississippi

. Still love bevvy for that one! Ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina