U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 07:40 AM

29,696 posts, read 27,133,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
In colonial North America the middle colonies were Pennsylvania, NJ, & Maryland. When Delaware was spun off from Pennsylvania, it was included. The English colonies went as far south as a handful of parishes in Georgia, encompassing Augusta & Savannah.

In the mid 20th century the MidAtlantic was taught as being the transition from New England to the South. It was taught that it was comprised of Pennsylvania, NJ, Delaware, Maryland & Virginia, & that New York & North Carolina were sometimes included. North Carolina was taught as being the southern terminus of the the MidAtlantic AND the northern start of the South.
It wasn't taught like this everywhere, that's for sure. Probably not in most places as a matter of fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 07:56 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,766,082 times
the triangle is mid atlantic, charlotte is the south, the coastal plains are part of the south

most of the piedmont is mid atlantic

Old 03-06-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
the triangle is mid atlantic, charlotte is the south, the coastal plains are part of the south

most of the piedmont is mid atlantic
How so?

Old 03-06-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiny77 View Post
how so?

i see it like this, blue is mid atlantic red is south
Is North Carolina mid-atlantic or southeast-capture.png

Old 03-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i see it like this, blue is mid atlantic red is south
Attachment 181673
You won't find one definition of the mid-Atlantic that includes parts of CT and MA; they are unquestionably New England. In common parlance, no part of NC is considered the mid-Atlantic and certainly not the Triad.

There's no rhyme or reason to your map whatsoever.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:40 AM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It wasn't taught like this everywhere, that's for sure. Probably not in most places as a matter of fact.
I'm a boomer. In conversation, with native boomers, they were taught the same, where I currently live. Many of them have family in the Delaware Valley & Baltimore regions & say that there are a lot of similarities & some differences, in their opinion & I agree with them.

It's hard to argue with North Carolina being the end of the MidAtlantic & the beginning of the South simultaneously, although some will argue it to the death.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I'm a boomer. In conversation, with native boomers, they were taught the same, where I currently live. Many of them have family in the Delaware Valley & Baltimore regions & say that there are a lot of similarities & some differences, in their opinion & I agree with them.

It's hard to argue with North Carolina being the end of the MidAtlantic & the beginning of the South simultaneously, although some will argue it to the death.
It's pretty easy to argue with it actually. From both a cultural and geographic standpoint, the south starts unquestionably well north of NC.

Historically, the mid-Atlantic is NJ, PA, and NY--the non-New England portion of the Northeast. From a contemporary standpoint, the mid-Atlantic centers on the DC/Baltimore region and extends into VA due to the DC 'burbs and sometimes Richmond and Hampton Roads are included. That's pretty much it.

What's the basis for including NC in the mid-Atlantic outside of a strict geographic definition (which has never really been the basis of the definition of the term)?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:59 AM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
It's pretty easy to argue with it actually. From both a cultural and geographic standpoint, the south starts unquestionably well north of NC.

Historically, the mid-Atlantic is NJ, PA, and NY--the non-New England portion of the Northeast. From a contemporary standpoint, the mid-Atlantic centers on the DC/Baltimore region and extends into VA due to the DC 'burbs and sometimes Richmond and Hampton Roads are included. That's pretty much it.

What's the basis for including NC in the mid-Atlantic outside of a strict geographic definition (which has never really been the basis of the definition of the term)?
My opinion is the unquestionable Quaker influence, as well as some of the early migration patterns.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:00 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,778,625 times
Quote:
In colonial North America the middle colonies were Pennsylvania, NJ, & Maryland. When Delaware was spun off from Pennsylvania, it was included. The English colonies went as far south as a handful of parishes in Georgia, encompassing Augusta & Savannah.

In the mid 20th century the MidAtlantic was taught as being the transition from New England to the South. It was taught that it was comprised of Pennsylvania, NJ, Delaware, Maryland & Virginia, & that New York & North Carolina were sometimes included. North Carolina was taught as being the southern terminus of the the MidAtlantic AND the northern start of the South.
Well stated.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
You won't find one definition of the mid-Atlantic that includes parts of CT and MA; they are unquestionably New England. In common parlance, no part of NC is considered the mid-Atlantic and certainly not the Triad.

There's no rhyme or reason to your map whatsoever.
ok well just draw the blue oval short wherever u feel new england starts it's totally besides my point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or