Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 10:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I agree with the top map, with the exception of Kentucky and West Virginia being Midwest.

I guess geographically they could be considered Midwestern, but the culture of both are undoubtedly Southern. Just feels weird to call them Midwestern.
Western Kentucky shares a lot with southern Indiana which shares a lot with Missouri.

It helps to know how areas were settled, & who settled them. Then there were later arrivals. There's a valid argument to tie Kentucky to the Midwest or to Appalachia. The same goes for West Virginia & the adjacent part of Ohio.

The whole state approach has a lot of room for error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 02:01 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree with splitting states, but I'd draw a big oval from Philadelphia & South Jersey down into & maybe including all of the Piedmont of North Carolina & call it MidAtlantic. Before the Civil War, the wealthy of Richmond sent their children to Philadelphia for school. During the Civil War, North Carolina Quakers were travelling to Philadelphia. There have been historical ties.
Hahahah. Bless your heart . Historically we are more tied to our neighboring southern states... hell we have ties to lots of states if we are talking history.... but strongest ties here.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:06 PM

21 posts, read 23,375 times
Have ya'll lost your damn minds????? NC has never been mid atlantic until folks started moving down here and thought "wow I thought the south would be..." because everyone they meet are transplants or kids of transplants. The middle of the east coast is southern Va. If you look NC is lateral to TN Ak and northern Al MS Ga SC . . . so what in the entire hell are ya'll talking about? You know when you look at some of these "maps" they transpose the layout directly from a globe/spherical perspective and lay it on a flat surface so the whole east coast is pushed upwards while the middle united states appears to be further south.

If you get folks who aren't southern in NC then they aren't from NC. Ain't nobody trying to hear all this mess . . . look at native North Carolinians for your answer.

Doc Watson
Randy Travis
Andy Griffin
Nina Simone
Emily Proctor
Jesse Helms
Charlie Daniels
Fantasia
Clay Aiken
Dale Earnhardt
Richard Petty
Maya Angelou
Kellie Pickler

Tell these people they are mid atlantic and they will slap your face! So yes the new pole says less people in NC identify as southern because they aren't from NC and have no ties to it besides moving here. A native north Carolinian is southern a transplant is not.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:10 PM

Most modern day people in NC aren't from NC. if 2/3 of the state moves to NC from the north and they were asked if they were southern then 2/3 of the response would be no. NC is the southeast coast nothing will change that

Old 03-04-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NC is still Southeastern. Let's stop it with this foolishness that when a state gets "progressive" enough it can no longer be considered Southern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's both.
it southeast/ it's not mid atlantic by any stretch. I go by the native people from whatever area. Most native folks from northern va md and upward aren't similar to a native north Carolinian by any degree

Old 03-04-2019, 04:16 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Pegasus View Post
Most modern day people in NC aren't from NC. if 2/3 of the state moves to NC from the north and they were asked if they were southern then 2/3 of the response would be no. NC is the southeast coast nothing will change that
"57.8% of North Carolina state residents were born here." Thats most.

https://demography.cpc.unc.edu/2016/...-of-residence/

Old 03-04-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdreamer View Post
Coming from maryland and now living in north carolina I can say that NC is more mid atlantic then any state south or west of north carolina I live in the boone area and yes there are people with southern and northern accents and I know that boones weather is more colder then the rest of north carolina. I also know that north carolina is in the middle of the east coast. Another thing the mid-atlantic cities are just like a lot of other southern towns. To me this remark about adding SC, GA, and Al is stupid. Growing up in maryland I grew up in a small eastern town and most people had a southern accent. The last thing I am going to say is that the state capital of NC is closer to washington DC then Atlanta.( as you can see NC is mid-atlantic and sc will never be, this is because it is not in the middle of the coast the state capital of sc is closer to Atlanta,so saying that NC in mid-atlantic is not as bad as saying the ca in new england)
NC is southeast. MD and NC are dissimilar. You take a native from MD and NC and SC and GA and TN and see which ones speak similarly, share cultural similarities, values, etc.. and you'll get your answer. Southern Va is the middle of the east coast. Raleigh is a southern city with transplants from MD NY NJ etc... Stop trying to make NC something that it is not. It is definitely folks like you (not from NC) that will say NC is not southern because it is the transplants that make it not southern

Old 03-04-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
wnewberry, I and a lot of friends of mine are true blue Tar Heel natives, and although we realize NC is of the South, a lot of us don't personally consider ourselves Southern. No offense to those who do, but that is just not my personal or family identity as North Carolinians.
I am pretty sure you are not a native. I am 42 and have never heard another NCarolinian refer to themselves or the state as anything but southern. So you are either a transplant or parents were transplants. I can almost guarantee it.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:25 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Pegasus View Post
NC is southeast. MD and NC are dissimilar. You take a native from MD and NC and SC and GA and TN and see which ones speak similarly, share cultural similarities, values, etc.. and you'll get your answer. Southern Va is the middle of the east coast. Raleigh is a southern city with transplants from MD NY NJ etc... Stop trying to make NC something that it is not. It is definitely folks like you (not from NC) that will say NC is not southern because it is the transplants that make it not southern
Its not that clear cut. I have a friend who grew up on a tobacco farm...in Maryland. He's pretty southern.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:15 PM

528 posts, read 227,295 times
Thank God NC reliably votes republican for president 99 percent of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina