U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:21 PM

21 posts, read 6,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
"My mind is made up so don't bother me with actual facts!" LOL
LOL Kudos my good sir! I appreciate the conversation in itself itís kinda sorta maybe interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 01:49 PM

8,329 posts, read 6,193,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Pegasus View Post
I appreciate you conversing with me and not turning this into some weird internet argument deal. So I lean more towards the types of food, the accent and how they self identify. So with just N.C. based off that
Diet = southern
Accent = variations of southern
Self identify = southern
A portion of folks who moved from up north and a. Do not like the concept of what they think the south is and will come up with a regional identifier other than southern b. Moved from out of state here only to involve themselves with other out of state folks and social adjustments that are has made due to the massive influx of non natives c. Trolls lol
I think its really the bolded. They feel the need to rationalize what to them or their peer group back home is the equivalent of slumming or selling out or being complicit with things they associate with the South.

There are a hundred little differences about "The South" vs where I've lived in Minnesota and Illinois. Oddly enough, they aren't what you'd think.

People always jump to Race. But IME (as a white guy) people here are more comfortable with folks of other races. Day to day, they are generally more comfortable around each other, working with each other, etc. In the North, diversity is an urban characteristic. One of the things that I wasn't used to seeing before I moved south was Rural African Americans.

If you go to a small town in the Midwest, there's usually a tavern to grab a beer and a burger at. In NC, there might be a lunch counter or restaurant but rarely a bar. I largely attribute it to demographically skewing towards English/Scots Irish settlement, and the religions they brought with them, compared to the Midwest where there are more German, Irish and Central European descendants and more Catholics and Lutherans.

Southern Hospitality isn't a myth but they aren't any nicer or more welcoming, they're just better at it.

The food is more southern. But most people don't cook that way at home, just like your average Italian American family doesn't eat super rich Pasta dishes every night of the week. But, if you go to a lunch place they're more likely to have Okra and BBQ than a good Gyro. And, a steak house is a steak house and a burger joint is a burger joint. Again, it isn't as if its a totally different country.

Southerners are more image conscious. While New Yorker/New Jersey types talk about getting tired of keeping up with the Jones's, I notice it much more here; Given that the Real Estate market is flatter from zip code to zip code, as a whole there is more emphasis/notice on material things as status symbols. I grew up in a relatively wealthy community. The car you drove, the size of your house, the brand of clothes you wore, wasn't nearly as emphasized or noticed as it is down here. This is more true outside of the major metros; I notice it much more in areas like Wilmington, Wilson, Goldsboro, etc. You see some of that everywhere you go in the US but I noticed it more here.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:01 AM

3,772 posts, read 2,582,847 times
Gretchen....stop trying to make "NC is mid-atlantic" happen....it's never gonna happen!

Old 03-26-2019, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 2,303 times
Default lare bear

I have lived in SW VA for 50 years after 22 yrs in FL ( I'm a Gator) and VA & NC are mid Atlantic (but Definitely part of the South). SC & GA & FL are SE. But everything south of the "Mason Dixon Line" is the "SOUTH" by definition. Richmond,VA was the capital of the confederacy.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:46 PM

29,957 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lare bear View Post
I have lived in SW VA for 50 years after 22 yrs in FL ( I'm a Gator) and VA & NC are mid Atlantic (but Definitely part of the South). SC & GA & FL are SE.
What makes NC Mid-Atlantic in your view?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:39 AM

225 posts, read 204,941 times
Anyone asking this question has never been to Eastern North Carolina

Old 03-27-2019, 01:44 PM

29,957 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
Anyone asking this question has never been to Eastern North Carolina
For sure.

I wish some people would stop thinking of the Mid-Atlantic as Southern places with lots of transplants. That's a very erroneous standard to use.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:50 PM

99 posts, read 101,504 times
Regions of the United States according to the US Census
Region 1: Northeast
New England (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont)
Mid-Atlantic (New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania)

Region 2: Midwest
East North Central (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin)
West North Central (Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota)

Region 3: South
South Atlantic (Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, DC, and West Virginia)
East South Central (Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee)
West South Central (Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas)

Region 4: West
Mountain (Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming)
Pacific (Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington)

**North Carolina is located in the South Atlantic under Region 3**
I don't go by state's culture, I go by the geographical location.

Last edited by tcm1913; 04-02-2019 at 01:01 PM..

Old 07-19-2019, 02:03 PM

264 posts, read 133,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
This map divides NC into Mid-Atlantic South and Southern Appalachia. NoVA is plain MA.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu68Arfj...=1bfmo9x5p4edy
No offense, but that map is not exactly the most reputable source of information. The fact that there is a region called "Mid-Atlantic" and one then called "Mid-Atlantic South" is just silly.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

32 posts, read 5,604 times
South East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or