U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 07:26 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,348,617 times

Advertisements

OP drove through an area heavy with Northern transplants....believe me, there are plenty of hicks in NC. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 09:28 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,218,570 times
so when i go to carowinds in charlotte and they have the nc/sc sign i can step into a midatlantic state and back into a southern one? wow yeah there's a huuuuuge difference damn that imaginary line

Old 12-18-2011, 01:09 PM

68 posts, read 119,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdreamer View Post
Coming from maryland and now living in north carolina I can say that NC is more mid atlantic then any state south or west of north carolina I live in the boone area and yes there are people with southern and northern accents and I know that boones weather is more colder then the rest of north carolina. I also know that north carolina is in the middle of the east coast. Another thing the mid-atlantic cities are just like a lot of other southern towns. To me this remark about adding SC, GA, and Al is stupid. Growing up in maryland I grew up in a small eastern town and most people had a southern accent. The last thing I am going to say is that the state capital of NC is closer to washington DC then Atlanta.( as you can see NC is mid-atlantic and sc will never be, this is because it is not in the middle of the coast the state capital of sc is closer to Atlanta,so saying that NC in mid-atlantic is not as bad as saying the ca in new england)
I have a lot of family from MD they are nothing like us and they definitley don't sound like us and VA is in the middle of the east coast Fort Lee VA to be exact look it up! And if NC is in the middle of the East Coast then SC is too. Edenton NC is closer to DC than Raleigh and if thats the mid-atlantic I think its time we start readjusting a map . Florida is father south than everybody and I don't recall hearing or seeing anything that resembled the south in Orlando other than palm trees and heat. Also this goes back to how a couple of cities make up or represent a whole state is still beyond me. Also this middle east coast thing is beyond stupid. South VA is our partner not NOVA which belongs to DC. Eastern TN is our partner not NOVA. North GA and SC is our partner not NOVA. Raleigh does feel closer in culture weather etc to ATL not DC or Baltimore or Philidelphia or Newark or NYC.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:47 PM

18 posts, read 44,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy12 View Post
Sorry its taking me a long time for me to write back, first of all this is the first post i have every made. Sorry i didn't know that there where more post about nc being mid atlantic. Also i traveled to the mountains of nc to the boone area. I also went to greensboro on the way. Why i think nc is mid atlantic is because of the climate and the landscape of the area. Then the people of nc are smart and highly educated like the mid atlantic area. There are a lot of high tech jobs in the area too. I also went to georgia to northern atlanta area and the area was like gone with the wind to me. Sorry to make so many people mad calling north carolina mid atlantic it was a compliment.
Which part of northern ATL did you go to????

And your reasoning for NC being mid-atlantic, well, there are smart and educated people in every state, for starters. Climate and landscape shouldn't really be used to determine what region a state should be in. North Carolina is an SOUTHERN state and we wear that title with pride. Our history, culture and background alone makes us a part of the south. I understand that your were trying to compliment us, but you were really better off saying that NC is a PROGRESSIVE state. Progression is not an trait that is exclusive to the mid-atlantic region(I know thats not what you were trying to imply, but one can see why some are little thrown off by your claims). And for the record, NC will NEVER be the mid-atlantic and thats not a bad thing at all.

Let us remember our southern heritage:

Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 PM

5,397 posts, read 6,540,598 times
UNC/Duke/NC State/Wake Forest = Atlantic Coast Conference from long time back

USC = Southeastern Conference

not to say we don't have our southern roots, southern ways, and southern lifestyle just we are midAtlantic by heritage and and colonial migration.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 AM

10,401 posts, read 19,431,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
"You have Philadelphia on one end & Pittsburgh on the other & Alabama in between." Recently someone from North Jersey put out a map of the state that went viral. He classified most of South Jersey as "Pretty Much Alabama" & "Pineys, Pineys Everywhere". All through the MidAtlantic you will find areas that could be referred to as "Alabama".
The fact that people in Mid-Atlantic states are so rude and derogatory in their stereotype of another Southern state is precisely why NC is not Mid-Atlantic culturally.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,824,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The fact that people in Mid-Atlantic states are so rude and derogatory in their stereotype of another Southern state is precisely why NC is not Mid-Atlantic culturally.

"a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit"

speaking of Quotes while everyone comes to tell us what we are NC let's remember the State seal

"Esse Quam Videri" To be, rather than to seem

====================

I think the big think is NC has always been progressive relative to other states in the south, and because we are progressive, that's supposed to mean we are not southern

Also, with the talk of South Jersey and the like,and admittedly with some of the talk form Natives in this thread, people are once again confusing "southern" with "country"
====================
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

not to say we don't have our southern roots, southern ways, and southern lifestyle just we are midAtlantic by heritage and and colonial migration.

Your comparison of reminded of the Wikipedia "Carolinas" page, which I find an interesting read.

The Carolinas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,431,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

"Atlantic Coast" =/= "mid-Atlantic". It isn't in the same context, anyway.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:29 AM

21,986 posts, read 27,287,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Have you spent some time in South Jersey or Delmarva, Francois? I've seen some very rude comments in these threads from NC natives, or are they somehow different?

Yes, there is a southern heritage, but the heritage includes factors that are much more MidAtlantic. The Civil War: A Separate Peace | Our State Magazine

ETA: As to rude comments about other states, you ought to hear comments that I hear from native North Carolinians, in my town, about South Carolina. Much ruder & more specifically derogatory than what you took offense to. . .

Last edited by southbound_295; 12-20-2011 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 09:57 AM

21,986 posts, read 27,287,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGreensboroWithLove View Post
Which part of northern ATL did you go to????

And your reasoning for NC being mid-atlantic, well, there are smart and educated people in every state, for starters. Climate and landscape shouldn't really be used to determine what region a state should be in. North Carolina is an SOUTHERN state and we wear that title with pride. Our history, culture and background alone makes us a part of the south. I understand that your were trying to compliment us, but you were really better off saying that NC is a PROGRESSIVE state. Progression is not an trait that is exclusive to the mid-atlantic region(I know thats not what you were trying to imply, but one can see why some are little thrown off by your claims). And for the record, NC will NEVER be the mid-atlantic and thats not a bad thing at all.

Let us remember our southern heritage:

You might enjoy this annual event. Philadelphia Folk Festival | Philadelphia Folksong Society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or