Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 01:42 PM

68 posts, read 138,550 times

Advertisements

Dear Newguy There is a noticeable difference between North Raleigh and South Raleigh. Greensboro Winston Salem and High Point are southern cities without a doubt. I also dont understand why the South has to be dumb? Oh yeah the deep south is a huge stereotyped region. Only AL and MS are truly a lot a like. East TX,SC,GA, N. FL & ESPECIALLY LA are all uniquely southern. Just because a state is in the deep south does not justify it as the so called real south and to be technical NC SC VA and GA were southern states long before AL or MS and if you dig deeper you'll come to find that NC SC VA all settled the deep south. You mentioned climate? Not only is NC in the sunbelt but it's weather is much closer to the deep south than anything above it. Light snows and freezing rain is just about all you will get & they don't even happen often except for the Mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 02:05 PM

8,769 posts, read 10,171,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy12 View Post
I also went to georgia to northern atlanta area and the area was like gone with the wind to me. .
lolwut?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 AM

68 posts, read 138,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNCBoy View Post
this is just plain dumb!!!
Can I second the motion! Anyone who thinks NC is the mid-atlantic is one crazy or two unlearned. This is not debateble by any means. The weather is southern, the geographical code is southern, the culture is by and large southern, and the history is southern. How a couple of cities in which they are southern in their own ways dictates a whole state is words can't explain.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:55 PM

42 posts, read 92,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram73 View Post
Can I second the motion! Anyone who thinks NC is the mid-atlantic is one crazy or two unlearned. This is not debateble by any means. The weather is southern, the geographical code is southern, the culture is by and large southern, and the history is southern. How a couple of cities in which they are southern in their own ways dictates a whole state is words can't explain.
Good Job!!!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:43 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,338,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy12 View Post
Sorry its taking me a long time for me to write back, first of all this is the first post i have every made. Sorry i didn't know that there where more post about nc being mid atlantic. Also i traveled to the mountains of nc to the boone area. I also went to greensboro on the way. Why i think nc is mid atlantic is because of the climate and the landscape of the area. Then the people of nc are smart and highly educated like the mid atlantic area. There are a lot of high tech jobs in the area too. I also went to georgia to northern atlanta area and the area was like gone with the wind to me. Sorry to make so many people mad calling north carolina mid atlantic it was a compliment.

When I think of Mid Atlantic I think of Rusty old gritty cities like Pittsburgh, Richmond, Philadelphia, Baltimore, etc.

Charlotte (and the rest of the cities of NC) do not seem Midatlantic at all. They seem, and are Southern...

Philadelphia

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/53906...hia_800_4b.jpg

Baltimore

Southern Cities are more Sprawled out with cookie cutter developments and Suburbs. Midatlantic cities are cramped with communist blocks. That's why I'm confused when you think our Metro areas are more Midatlantic than Southern.

Jacksonville, Charlotte, Austin, Atlanta, Nashville, Miami, Raleigh, Greenville, Houston are different beast from Richmond, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh etc.

Charlotte

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...at111807AM.png

Atlanta (a peer city of Philadelphia, yet still you can see the distinction of Metropolitan Southern VS. Metropolitan MidAtlantic)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mq_mZ1nVWW...2BDistrict.JPG

Old 12-17-2011, 09:12 AM

10 posts, read 41,442 times
north carolina is more of a mix of mid atlantic and the south. To me the only things i can think of north carolina being mid atlantic is that all mid atlantic states have mountians and a coastline. Also north carolina has high taxes compare to more deep south states. To me north carolina is in the upper south lower mid atlantic.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:00 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,427,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
When I think of Mid Atlantic I think of Rusty old gritty cities like Pittsburgh, Richmond, Philadelphia, Baltimore, etc.

Charlotte (and the rest of the cities of NC) do not seem Midatlantic at all. They seem, and are Southern...

Philadelphia

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/53906...hia_800_4b.jpg

Baltimore

Southern Cities are more Sprawled out with cookie cutter developments and Suburbs. Midatlantic cities are cramped with communist blocks. That's why I'm confused when you think our Metro areas are more Midatlantic than Southern.

Jacksonville, Charlotte, Austin, Atlanta, Nashville, Miami, Raleigh, Greenville, Houston are different beast from Richmond, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh etc.

Charlotte

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...at111807AM.png

Atlanta (a peer city of Philadelphia, yet still you can see the distinction of Metropolitan Southern VS. Metropolitan MidAtlantic)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mq_mZ1nVWW...2BDistrict.JPG
First off, I'm not defending the OP. In my opinion it is off base because it only takes one small area into account.

While Philadelphia has it's gritty sections, it isn't all gritty. To me, Philadelphia is unique because of the huge amount of salvaged history. Fairmont Park is a factor. You also need to look at the whole area including the PA suburbs, Northern Delaware, & South Jersey & the social history. There are many, many factors. It's a more conservative area than most outsiders think it is. The seemingly extremely liberal gloss is merely a residual of the Quaker influence. Philadelphia & Pittsburgh are not from the same mold. Remember Tim Russert's line about PA? "You have Philadelphia on one end & Pittsburgh on the other & Alabama in between." Recently someone from North Jersey put out a map of the state that went viral. He classified most of South Jersey as "Pretty Much Alabama" & "Pineys, Pineys Everywhere". All through the MidAtlantic you will find areas that could be referred to as "Alabama".

I tend to agree with what snowdreamer posted, not because of attempt to distort North Carolina, but because I know about a lot of the areas in the MidAtlantic that do not fit the concept that many posters have of it.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:06 PM

42 posts, read 92,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdreamer View Post
north carolina is more of a mix of mid atlantic and the south. To me the only things i can think of north carolina being mid atlantic is that all mid atlantic states have mountians and a coastline. Also north carolina has high taxes compare to more deep south states. To me north carolina is in the upper south lower mid atlantic.
If thats your criteria then SC, GA, and AL are all mid-atlantic states.

"Sayin' NC is mid-atlantic is like saying CA is New England!!!"

For Heaven sake you yankees leave us alone!!! We don't need y'all to tell us if we're southern or not!!!

Old 12-17-2011, 05:46 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,427,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNCBoy View Post
If thats your criteria then SC, GA, and AL are all mid-atlantic states.

"Sayin' NC is mid-atlantic is like saying CA is New England!!!"

For Heaven sake you yankees leave us alone!!! We don't need y'all to tell us if we're southern or not!!!
The coastal/mountains thing is not right. Why is it a problem when people say both?

Old 12-17-2011, 06:12 PM

10 posts, read 41,442 times
Coming from maryland and now living in north carolina I can say that NC is more mid atlantic then any state south or west of north carolina I live in the boone area and yes there are people with southern and northern accents and I know that boones weather is more colder then the rest of north carolina. I also know that north carolina is in the middle of the east coast. Another thing the mid-atlantic cities are just like a lot of other southern towns. To me this remark about adding SC, GA, and Al is stupid. Growing up in maryland I grew up in a small eastern town and most people had a southern accent. The last thing I am going to say is that the state capital of NC is closer to washington DC then Atlanta.( as you can see NC is mid-atlantic and sc will never be, this is because it is not in the middle of the coast the state capital of sc is closer to Atlanta,so saying that NC in mid-atlantic is not as bad as saying the ca in new england)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina