U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:07 PM

82 posts, read 246,136 times

Advertisements

Hello. I live on the Cary / Morrisville border and have to get my car inspected. I went to a guy in Apex today and he said my car will not pass because my window tint is too dark. My car is a 2006 and will pass with easily if it wasnt for the tint. Does anyone know of a shop or inspection station that might be willing to " look the other way" on the tint. I really don't want to have to remove the tint. Please Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 03:19 PM

143 posts, read 648,495 times
I have a question along the same lines, where can I go to get a list of what it inspect-able and what is not? My specific concern is anti-lock brakes; are they a fail-able item? Thanks so much, as usual!!!

Old 07-21-2007, 03:34 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,680,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj873 View Post
I have a question along the same lines, where can I go to get a list of what it inspect-able and what is not? My specific concern is anti-lock brakes; are they a fail-able item? Thanks so much, as usual!!!
Do you brakes work? Why would anti-lock breaks make a car fail? They are pretty standard these days on most cars.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:35 PM

143 posts, read 648,495 times
Brakes work fine, just that the anti lock brake light is on. Some states would fail you for this....

Old 07-21-2007, 03:35 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,680,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpaws02 View Post
Hello. I live on the Cary / Morrisville border and have to get my car inspected. I went to a guy in Apex today and he said my car will not pass because my window tint is too dark. My car is a 2006 and will pass with easily if it wasnt for the tint. Does anyone know of a shop or inspection station that might be willing to " look the other way" on the tint. I really don't want to have to remove the tint. Please Help
I really doubt it. Tints are one thing that an officer can see. If you get pulled over, it's very easy to trace it back to the inspection station that last gave you a pass and they could lose their certification.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:29 PM

207 posts, read 1,002,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
I really doubt it. Tints are one thing that an officer can see. If you get pulled over, it's very easy to trace it back to the inspection station that last gave you a pass and they could lose their certification.
She's right. You can definitely find a place that will look the other way, lot's of shady inspection spots around. Tint violations are good news for cops though, it's a misdemeanor charge (arrestable offense) and it's an easy way for us to get into (search) someone's car. It's not worth it, I'd advise you to get rid of the tint and get something that is legal (35%) or higher.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:21 PM

9,680 posts, read 24,101,390 times
Here's the link. Brake part of safety inspection doesn't mention an ABS failure as a reject.

ABS might be just a loose sensor wire, so you might want to get it diagnosed by a dealer so you'll have the benefit of ABS in wet or slippery weather. I don't like ABS and would never buy it.

http://www.ncdot.org/DMV/vehicle_ser...nforcement.pdf

Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,941 times
I'd like to know what is the policy in NC regarding vehicle rust. I purchased a 1995 model Mercedes in CT that supposedly passed MA safety requirements, but will not pass WV inspection because of underbody rust. This rust is not visible without lifting the car. WV is very picky about rust since many Yankees used to dump rust buckets in this state. Apart from underbody rust, the car is quite perfect mechanically and in body. All acccessories work etc.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Exoo View Post
I'd like to know what is the policy in NC regarding vehicle rust. I purchased a 1995 model Mercedes in CT that supposedly passed MA safety requirements, but will not pass WV inspection because of underbody rust. This rust is not visible without lifting the car. WV is very picky about rust since many Yankees used to dump rust buckets in this state. Apart from underbody rust, the car is quite perfect mechanically and in body. All acccessories work etc.
Don't see anything in the manual about surface rust.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/D...s%20Manual.pdf

Old 12-24-2012, 07:48 PM

4,227 posts, read 21,094,870 times
As far as I know, every inspection station has a list of items they inspect for, on the wall somewhere.

As for tint, state law is 35%. I don't know of any that will just give you an under the table inspection. Also be advised the inspection station actually charges you a little extra if you have tinted windows. I don't know why, but they always did when I would go thru.

I do recall I had a co-worker with out of state tags that got pulled by the NC boyscouts, they cited him but he got it thrown out in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina