U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2006, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,043 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am new to this so please play nice!!!! I just cam across this website while doing some general research. Can someone please tell me why this is the busiest State in the whole directory?? Wow you would think California or New York City would be, being they are as Big and Populated. This clearly beats all the other states hand down. I have read some of the posts and it seems that most people are looking to move there Why NC?? Just being curious I personally dont know NC I have heard great things as long as negative but I guess one persons trash is another persons treasure( no Offense to any one IN NC or any where else for that matter) Just trying to see what all the buzz is about NC thats all.

Thanks for your time and input on this. Once again not trying to insult or offend any one with this posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 02:52 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,885,938 times
Well, housing is much more expensive in places like California and New York. Many people are coming here so that they can actually own a decent home.

Plus, NC gets a lot of attention on "best place to live" and "best place to retire" types of lists and in magazines.

Then people of course start doing research of their own. Which includes for some coming here.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:04 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,647,783 times
For many coming from - the cost of homes and taxes in their areas are climbing higher. While people in NY, NJ, MA and even CA generally earn higher incomes, even with these high incomes, they still struggle to make ends meet.
There is a salary difference and the difference really depnds on what you do.

Also, young people cannot afford these homes where the housing market took them, while we here on LI are seeing declines in prices, they are still quite high, add taxes and our high energy costs, it makes it unafforable for many people for many reasons and circumstances

You can get more for your $$ in NC, bigger house, less cost

Also due to the crazy housing market, equity in their homes can enable many do buy a bigger house, with little to no mortgage.

Many are looking for a different lifestyle, a slower pace, better for their families and the list can go on and on...

If you take the time (and it will take time) to read through back posts, you will who is coming from where and why -

Old 08-23-2006, 03:51 PM

787 posts, read 3,314,408 times
Once reason is probably because natives like myself love to talk to other people is why there are so many responses. Why people are asking about the state is probably because of the higher housing costs and cost of living in formerly more appealling states. I use to think that I lived no where in particular until I found this place and figured out that California, Florida, and New York are not necessarily where everyone wants to be.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:05 PM

480 posts, read 2,109,480 times
A lot of the people who have been posting in the NC area either have kids or are planning to have kids, and that sector of the population has largely been priced out of the bigger cities. With that focus in mind, it is not surprising that so many have focused on NC, which keeps popping up in "best places to live" lists and the word is spreading.

To that end, it should be reiterated that many people come to NC with expectations that are completely divorced from the reality of living in NC. To prepare oneself, talking about a potential move -- especially one that involves one's family -- and getting as much information as possible should be encouraged. That means sharing the good AND the bad about any particular place in NC. North Carolina is anything but a monolithic geographic and social area; it encompasses a history that is as varied as the people who are now seeking to call it home.

If you are a person seeking to live in Seattle or New York or Los Angeles, you have a good idea of what you are getting into before you go. But many parts of North Carolina do not have the sort of visceral collective identity seared into the consciousness of people from other parts of the country (or world). For that reason, forums like this are very important because there are few other venues for spontaneous opinions about a place that is not talked about very much.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:38 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,392,853 times
Also there are lots of jobs for people in IT and banking, among others, which leads to jobs in other sectors

Old 08-23-2006, 06:15 PM

956 posts, read 4,064,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP-I View Post
.Just trying to see what all the buzz is about NC thats all.
It's the search for the holy grail. Who would have thought that it was more square footage and lower mortgage costs, less traffic and no snow. Dan Brown missed it after all.

Last edited by Yac; 08-24-2006 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-23-2006, 06:25 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP-I View Post
.Just trying to see what all the buzz is about NC thats all.
It's the search for the holy grail. Who would have thought that it was more square footage and lower mortgage costs, less traffic and no snow. Dan Brown missed it after all.

The holy grail is in New York.

Last edited by Yac; 08-24-2006 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-23-2006, 07:21 PM

1,531 posts, read 6,828,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
Once reason is probably because natives like myself love to talk to other people is why there are so many responses.
Ditto!

I think I've seen more natives here than in other forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or