Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,722 times

Advertisements

I'm a 25 single female just looking to get out of Arkansas and Start over. I'm hoping to move to North Carolina, Finish School and just start over fresh. I will be on a tight budget, and I do not require a super nice place. I was looking to live somewhere close to the coast, one of the small towns outside Wilmington. I've been researching Wilmington for a few months now and Have been getting mixed reviews on it, the people, cost of living and the employment opportunities. I would like a place with low crime rate, the cost of living isn't too outrageous, and its close to a bigger city or at least close to Job opportunites. One thing I did love about Wilmington is that I hear its a dog town. I have two dogs and to be in or around a place with dog parks and So many hiking trails would be nice. I also keep being told that Charolette is another good town for younger adults? What are the thoughts on that town, or the surrounding towns around that city? Which is better for younger adults? I don't mind working as a cashier or in a grocery store. I did it for 8 years, while going to School here. If you guys have any suggestions it would be so much help. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Charlotte is a big city - is that what you want? Don't go there just because people say it's "good for younger adults." You are you, not just a "younger adult." Age doesn't define a person or determine their interests. There are 60-year-olds who love skiing and 25-year-olds who don't. There are people of all ages at sporting events and on the hiking trails (okay, maybe not a long of 90-and-ups on the trails). Some young people like to drink and dance. Some old people like to drink and dance. Almost everyone, young and old alike, prefers low crime. You like dogs and hiking trails, so that is a start.

Both areas that you're asking about are good for young people, single people, married people, and old people. Neither is good for unemployed people, and the job situation is bad right now. They may differ in attitudes regarding race, religion, politics, and sexual orientation; if you have any concerns about those, ask directly and someone will know the answer.

Are you going to be attending a community college? You should begin by finding the colleges in the areas you are looking at. Eliminate any that do not have the programs you want. (Oh - and look at the cost for out-of-state tuition.) If you are going to a 4-year college or university that would obviously be the place to start - which one?

The kind of job you are looking for is not the kind you can get from a distance, so before you come you need to save up enough money to pay your expenses for at least six months, because all jobs are hard to find right now, and those that can be found do not pay well.

You can find more information about Charlotte and the coastal area in their subforums:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/
http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/

And we never really get to start over. When you arrive you'll still be the same person with the same strengths, weaknesses, mistakes, fears, etc. Sorry.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Plenty of young adilts live in both Charlotte and Wilmington--you can't say that one is 'better" than the other. Mostly it's going to come down to, do you want to be in a small city at the beach, or a large, bustling city almost like Atlanta? The characters of the two are very different.

You might peruse the Charlotte and Coastal NC boards and read what people say about each place....nobody can really decide for you what is "best" for your own needs.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 PM

yes, I know its really what i want, I want a little of both, I want to be close to a city but I'd rather live in a small town outside a bigger city. Yes I know that employment is bad everywhere, and believe me, I didn't figure I'd move without a little money to survive till I got a job, I just wanted to know which place had better employment oppurtunities, thats all. I have been looking at colleges, and just trying to chose what I'd like better the Charlotte area or Wilmington area. but thank you for your guys help.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Well Charlotte is much larger so logically there will be more jobs. Central Piedmont Community College is located here with campuses all over Mecklenburg County. They offer transfer programs that which are credited at all North Carolina Public Universities.

Small towns in the area are Mint Hill, Harrisburg, Mt Holly, Belmont. Mid-sized towns Concord, Huntersville, Matthews, Kannapolis. I'm not sure of the cost of living in these towns since I live in the Charlotte city limits.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 PM

thank you, I'll have to look into that. I will be visiting NC in a few months to make my final decision, look at jobs and houses. I was looking to move close to the beach in a small town, somewhere peaceful and relaxing, but the more research I do, the more I hear about the drug and crime rate of wilmington, I'm starting to lean more towards the smaller towns outside of Charlotte. Being a single female living on my own, I'd like to be in a safer enviroment. Does anyone thou know much about southport, boiling springs and Sharlotte?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:42 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingAway12 View Post
yes, I know its really what i want, I want a little of both, I want to be close to a city but I'd rather live in a small town outside a bigger city. Yes I know that employment is bad everywhere, and believe me, I didn't figure I'd move without a little money to survive till I got a job, I just wanted to know which place had better employment oppurtunities, thats all. I have been looking at colleges, and just trying to chose what I'd like better the Charlotte area or Wilmington area. but thank you for your guys help.
If you want both "city" and "beach" then you should probably look somewhere like the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area of Virginia, or even Myrtle Beach, SC, which are both "cities" but also on the beach. NC just happens to have little in the way of "beach cities", as Wilmington is a small city, more of a large town, really. There would also be somewhere like Savannah, GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina