Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,100 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from FL to NC next year and would love some input and advice on which cities would be best for what I am looking for in a new area. I am a young adult (23) with a full time career as an elementary school teacher. I do not want to live in a HUGE city, but would not mind being close to them. I am looking for an area that has lots to offer such as parks, lakes, farmers markets, parks, vineyards and a downtown type of night life. I have been looking into Asheville and Salisbury any opinions on those cities would be great!

Preferably I would like to be closer to the middle or the east side of the state but that could change for the right area! Any suggestions will help me! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 04:50 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
The best section of North Carolina is the mountains. Reason being that it is cooler in the Summer. I am not sure that now is the time to be looking for a job teaching here though. We are in a cycle where teachers are being fired, not hired. So if you plan to come to North Carolina to teach, I would suggest getting the job first.

Until you said Eastern North Carolina, you were describing Wilkes County.

Kerr Scott Dam
Blue Ridge Parkway
Wilkes Community College has a running type exercise trail where you stop and do the exercise along the running trail.
The Walker Center at the college has live performances.
My son's best friend growing up teaches there at the college and seems to go out about every night. Or he talks about it on his facebook page.
I grew up there, but about the only nightlife our family had was going to church. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by NCN; 02-19-2011 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
If you are interested in living close to the coast. I lived in Currituck County for 30+ years. During the spring and summer, you wont find a place that has more farmers markets than this area. Not too much of a night life though, but there are things to do. Down the road and across the bridge is the Outer Banks. Beaches, lots of places to see and hike too on the beach side or the sound side. But in the summer, depending on where you live, with people going to and coming from the beach, the traffic can be bad, till you learn the ins and outs of it.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
The best place is the one you like. Problem is there are many places that are likeable...

Old 02-20-2011, 05:53 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
I don't know too much about Salisbury itself but it's in a good location about midway between Charlotte and the Greensboro-Triad area.

Concord and Kannapolis are about 30 mins north of Uptown Charlotte and are pretty nice mid-sized towns.

I'm not sure what type of budget you're working with but my ex-girlfriend lived in Asheville and if you want to live in a nice area in that city then you'll need to have a significant amount of money. It is a beautiful town though.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I don't know too much about Salisbury itself but it's in a good location about midway between Charlotte and the Greensboro-Triad area.

Concord and Kannapolis are about 30 mins north of Uptown Charlotte and are pretty nice mid-sized towns.

I'm not sure what type of budget you're working with but my ex-girlfriend lived in Asheville and if you want to live in a nice area in that city then you'll need to have a significant amount of money. It is a beautiful town though.

I was looking into Asheville as well. The cost of living is that high in Asheville?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
The one where you can find a job for a livable wage.

There's no area of this state that isn't beautiful, really.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:01 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaue2005 View Post
I was looking into Asheville as well. The cost of living is that high in Asheville?
Lower cost of living just a little south of Asheville .... check out Hendersonville, NC .... lovely smaller town, plenty going on and great access to whatever you need.

www.historichendersonville.org

www.carolinaliving.com

Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
The first question is, why are you moving to NC (vs SC, VA, etc) but at the same time don't know where? How do you know that your "best" place is in fact in NC? Whatever it is that has made you decide on NC, it would help if you would mention that, and people can suggest places fitting what you're looking forl. But are you actually saying that if somewhere had everything you were looking for, but happened to be across the SC line, you wouldn't consider it because you are only looking into NC? I don't quite understand. Usually people look based on particular characteristics that suit them, not based on what state they're in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina