U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2011, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
3,744 posts, read 3,265,475 times
Reputation: 2645

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
I do not dislike Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals or Transgendered persons. I'm quite friendly and accepting of them, in fact. However, marriage is not an equal opportunity institution in my playbook; It's between a biological male and a biological female. I'm allowed to have this opinion without being a "gay basher" or a "bigot" or "ignorant" (people love to hurl the I word a lot these days.).

I must say, though, it's refreshing to have someone come out and say it's for the tax and insurance benefits, like we've always known it is, instead of making some overly dramatic moral argument.

The only one making some "overly dramatic moral argument" is you?


I believe Government should really have no say in moral issues such as Regulating what we should eat. Government should stop trying to raise peoples children. Government should stop treating certain groups as if they have special sets of rules (IE, Muslims). I also believe government shouldn't be involved in moral values such as sexuality....


I know what theocratic nations are like where religion rules. Where Homosexuals and Christians. are persecuted... Theocracy is nothing I would ever advocate. I advocate freedom for All regardless of Race, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, etc and equal treatment regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, sexuality,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,728,534 times
Reputation: 11123
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
I'm not a Big Government nor Theocratic type of person. I'm Republican, so I don't believe government should be Dictating the Moral Values of the People. Homosexuality is a Moral Value Issue and that is no right of the government to intervene.


I also believe everyone should be treated the same. Whether Black, White, Gay, Straight, Christian, or Muslim. Laws should not vary based on if you're Black or if you're Gay.


And the United States was founded on the freedom of Religious persecution and founded on the right of personal religious beliefs and freedoms and was founded so Government would not intervene in religious/moral affairs...


People who want to put a ban on Interracial and Gay Marriage because it goes against their (their being Theocratic Big Government People) moral Values obviously believe there should be set rules for set groups of people ie Black, Gay, Hispanic, etc.

People Who are anti Interracial Marriage and Anti Gay Marriage are Discriminating.

I just ignore people like this man. He's just another one of the Westboro people so take what he says with a grain of salt. He probably watches gay porn on the side like all the other priest and homophobic lawmakers. He'll get caught with his pants down soon, lol.


Former First Lady Laura Bush. Now She is a lady who is very pro gay marriage and Equal Rights regardless of Race, Religion, and Sexuality. We need more people like her.
Our government was shaped to prevent religious persecution, not "on the freedom of religious persecution". I have to believe that was a typo on your part. It's exactly opposite.

It's okay for anyone to be against anything for their own personal religious beliefs. However, it's un-American to shape other's rights based on our own personal beliefs.

As for Laura Bush, we need more Republicans to stand up for what they believe WHEN they are in office or have influence, not after their time has passed. Why wouldn't she say this while her husband was still vulnerable to the electorate??? The reality is that America is still teetering on stastical homophobia, just like it did with racism before the Civil Rights Act. There will always be racism. There will always be homophobia. There will always be sexism. The difference is that that nation says it's not okay to be racist and it's not okay to be sexist. However, the nation is still saying it's okay to be homophobic. This will pass. The culture war is over. What's left is the political war. That "war" won't be won until the youth of our country get off their lazy butts and participate in the political discourse.

In the end, I don't see the attacks being a two way street. Sure there's personal attacks and everyone should have a tough enough skin to know that 300 Million people are not going to agree with everything you say, are or stand for. However, when those opinions turn into political action to deny others' their rights, that's when it crosses the line. Sure there have been hateful things said about Christians, Muslims, Jews, for seemingly ever. We have an entire World War that was largely based on hatred for Jews and our own Civil War largely based on (what was believed to be) a biblically validated right to own another human being.
But... where are the actual legislative examples of how religious adherents are trying to be defined as second class citizens by denying them basic rights that others enjoy at the local, state or Federal level? Think hard because there aren't any actual political attacks on their rights.
It's not an attack on religious rights to defend ones own rights from religious persecution. Because, frankly, that's what this is....religious persecution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
3,744 posts, read 3,265,475 times
Reputation: 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Our government was shaped to prevent religious persecution, not "on the freedom of religious persecution". I have to believe that was a typo on your part. It's exactly opposite.

It's okay for anyone to be against anything for their own personal religious beliefs. However, it's un-American to shape other's rights based on our own personal beliefs.

As for Laura Bush, we need more Republicans to stand up for what they believe WHEN they are in office or have influence, not after their time has passed. Why wouldn't she say this while her husband was still vulnerable to the electorate??? The reality is that America is still teetering on stastical homophobia, just like it did with racism before the Civil Rights Act. There will always be racism. There will always be homophobia. There will always be sexism. The difference is that that nation says it's not okay to be racist and it's not okay to be sexist. However, the nation is still saying it's okay to be homophobic. This will pass. The culture war is over. What's left is the political war. That "war" won't be won until the youth of our country get off their lazy butts and participate in the political discourse.

In the end, I don't see the attacks being a two way street. Sure there's personal attacks and everyone should have a tough enough skin to know that 300 Million people are not going to agree with everything you say, are or stand for. However, when those opinions turn into political action to deny others' their rights, that's when it crosses the line. Sure there have been hateful things said about Christians, Muslims, Jews, for seemingly ever. We have an entire World War that was largely based on hatred for Jews and our own Civil War largely based on (what was believed to be) a biblically validated right to own another human being.
But... where are the actual legislative examples of how religious adherents are trying to be defined as second class citizens by denying them basic rights that others enjoy at the local, state or Federal level? Think hard because there aren't any actual political attacks on their rights.
It's not an attack on religious rights to defend ones own rights from religious persecution. Because, frankly, that's what this is....religious persecution.

Yes. That was a typo on my part. Thanks for catching that. Excellent post! Very elegantly said and well put together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 AM
 
2,912 posts, read 3,538,986 times
Reputation: 4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The reality is that America is still teetering on stastical homophobia
This is not only not reality, it is absolute bunk. Except for a few highly opinionated, overly vocal characters looking for acceptance, most people don't give a rat's patoot about this issue, one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
679 posts, read 526,860 times
Reputation: 234
Obama: DOMA Unconstitutional, DOJ Should Stop Defending In Court

Even the President is starting to come around to the realization that these outdated concepts of partnership and marriage are unconstitutional. Hopefully this can finally be fixed for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 07:05 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
Reputation: 14917
^^^ from the article
Quote:
"Much of the legal landscape has changed in the 15 years since Congress passed" the Defense of Marriage Act, Holder said in a statement. He noted that the Supreme Court has ruled that laws criminalizing homosexual conduct are unconstitutional and that Congress has repealed the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
We could give rats Pookie & I do not need no ceremony we know where our love stand between each other but its atrocious to treat us like second class citizens. Christianity isnt for breeders only.
Here is an example for you closeted heteros who are some what confuse to . Its ok I been there youll realize your true self.
Watch We're All Angels Free



God is love not hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,008,184 times
Reputation: 4482
Banning gay marriage is one thing. Banning private employers from offering benefits to same sex partners is an entirely different matter and goes way too far (is that even legal?). This is much worse than Prop 8. This reminds me of Act 1 in Arkansas, which banned all adoption by single people just as an extra layer of protection against gay adoption. If the voters of NC are anything like the voters in Arkansas, they will just go to the polls, read the question, think to themselves "I hate f@gs" and vote for it without thinking about what they are really voting for. Its unnecessarily legislation that has no purpose other than to punish a specific group of people and anyone who allies with them. I wouldn't be surprised to see pro-gay companies like Bank of America leave the state if this passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 AM
 
6,270 posts, read 9,994,546 times
Reputation: 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see pro-gay companies like Bank of America leave the state if this passes.
Um, I doubt that BofA will let it pass. You might not have been in Charlotte long enough to remember the whole "Angels in America" mess back in the 90s.

Quote:
"I am totally against funding things I'm opposed to," said Virginia McGinn, 64, a retired dietitian. "Homosexuals can do whatever they want, but I don't want to pay for them. I believe in the Bible, and the Bible is against homosexuality."
Quote:
Supporters carried Bibles and signs: "Sodomy is not a Family Value," "God Abhors Your Sin" and "Support Hoyle's Resolution," referring to Martin. Arts advocates responded with "Hoyle's Hatred is not a Family Value," "God Likes Art," and "Celebrate Diversity."
Quote:
"I cannot believe they're trying to legislate hate," said Elizabeth Barwick, 23, a Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services employee. "They're trying to legislate their moral values on everyone else."
ANTI-GAY FUNDING CUT IN CHARLOTTE NC

As ugly and embarrassing as this "anti-gay" vote was; First Union, Nations Bank and several other large corporations funded a campaign that ousted 4 out of the 5 county commissioners that voted for the "anti-gay" resolution.
Quote:
After the 1998 election, only one of the Gang of Five remained on the county board (voters ousted two others, and two weren't on the ballot), and in 2005 the Rep folded after years of financial struggle.
Where Are They Now?: The Gang of Five - Charlotte, NC

Today (especially with the DNC on the way) this senator's proposal isn't going anywhere. The DNC has over-looked NC's lack of union employees (compared to the rest of the US), but the DNC WILL NOT over-look this hate filled proposal. I expect a bipartisan effort to shut this man up real soon. If he doesn't apologize, his career is probably finished. Corporate NC will have to make an example out of this guy (much like the "Gang of Five" in Charlotte).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 AM
 
2,912 posts, read 3,538,986 times
Reputation: 4103
Amusing to see the likes of First Union (a.k.a Wachovia, then Wells Fargo) and Nations Bank cited as stalwarts of ethical behavior. What short memories internet junkies have, at least when it's convenient to have short memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 AM
 
2,912 posts, read 3,538,986 times
Reputation: 4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Obama: DOMA Unconstitutional, DOJ Should Stop Defending In Court

Even the President is starting to come around to the realization that these outdated concepts of partnership and marriage are unconstitutional. Hopefully this can finally be fixed for good.
Another way to look at this is to remember that the President is facing an election coming up soon in 2012, and could just possibly be pandering for votes to try to shore-up what's left of his base (as any other red-blooded politician, Democrat or Republican, would do in his situation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top