Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 10,926 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can answer some questions for me.

Here is my situation: My fiance and I are students at Ohio State University. She is a senior this year and will be graduating in the spring. Her degree will be in early childhood education focusing in special education. I will be graduating the following year in the spring of 2012. She is planning on teaching after she graduates but I am planning on attending graduate school. I am looking at graduate schools in North Carolina.

Here is my question. If she begins teaching in Ohio, will it be hard for her to transfer her teaching license to North Carolina? Will her license transfer there? What about her retirement and years of service/experience?

We would plan to move back after I graduate from graduate school. Would her teaching license be easily transferred back to Ohio? What about her retirement and years of experience/service she builds in North Carolina?

Are there any other states where this transition would be easier?

We have tried looking at the department of education websites for each state but they are both pretty confusing. Does anyone know of any other websites that might provide good accurate information?

I am sorry if this is confusing and I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Hardest part will be finding a teaching position in NC. She will get credit for contract experience but for salary, not retirement.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:18 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
For state employees in NC, you have to be there 5 years to get vested (Retirement). It may be a little different for teachers, though. zthatzmanz28 would know since he is in that field.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:07 PM

I believe it's 10 years to be vested as teacher and then there is a 2%-5% penalty if you retire with less than 25 total?
Not sure if any state will accept time worked towards pension? I know some states will accept military or federal government service time towards retirement.

Aplying for teaching license would be seemless and possible by 2012 there MAY be a few positions?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I believe it's 10 years to be vested as teacher and then there is a 2%-5% penalty if you retire with less than 25 total?
Not sure if any state will accept time worked towards pension? I know some states will accept military or federal government service time towards retirement.
With "regular" (non-teaching) state positions, usually you can "buy in" time from a previous state, or also from time served as a temporary via the state (I did that--had been a temp for a year, and once I hit 5 years and was vested, I bought that extra year, which counts towards retirement but not towards "time served" for vacations, longevity, etc). I am pretty sure you can do that with other state govt time, too, but only AFTER you are vested, and the longer you wait to buy it, the more expensive it is to do so.

Even the "vestings" are changing--when I started, 5 years would vest you in both retirement and health insurace, but a few years ago, they upped the health insurance vesting to *20* years, because lot of people were retiring from other jobs or other states, working for the state for 5 years, then using state health insurance. But again, it is probably a little different for teachers.

But, none of this matters if there isn't a job to get in the first place.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,926 times
Thanks for replying to my post. I appreciate all the information you provided me.

So from the looks of your post's NC isn't hiring very many teachers right now? If so, why is this?

Can you explain the concept of "vesting" a little more? I understand it but would like to hear a little more.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 AM

Teaching is taking a beating all over the country. The notion that there will be fewer teachers and more students per room is popular. That added to the HUNDREDS of teachers who have moved to southern states over the past 10-15 years. When I graduated in 1995 with my B.S. I remember NC was hiring teachers by the hundreds at teacher fairs. IN fact it continued up to the past 2 years or so when budget crunch hit NC. Since teachers are state employees, the financial woes are experienced in the classrooms.

To be vested is guarenteed benefits. If you work less than the time required you are not guarenteed a retirement pay. BUT in NC, the 8% you contribute is your money and you can "withdraw" it upon separation of service.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I don't want to be harsh, but you need to be much more diligent in your research to be successful as a teacher, or in any adult endeavor. I searched "North Carolina teacher reciprocity." The first two hits laid it out pretty clearly.

Steps to A NC License

State of North Carolina Teacher Certification Requirements

Good luck. lln

Old 02-25-2011, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I don't want to be harsh, but you need to be much more diligent in your research to be successful as a teacher, or in any adult endeavor.
Are you trying to be helpful or just snarky? I don't think an ability to hit google = success in adult endeavors.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:12 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharger View Post
Are you trying to be helpful or just snarky? I don't think an ability to hit google = success in adult endeavors.
Adult endeavors are solving problems, not giving problems to someone else to solve, It's a 21st century skill. Sounds like you are not a problem solver, probably just another whiner. Good Luck, you will most surely need it.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina