Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your thoughts
What can be done to help the new citizens of NC? 12 60.00%
a southerners point of view 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:07 PM

41 posts, read 122,688 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I moved to Statesville, NC three years ago, from Oswego, N.Y.. Most of the people have bent over backwards to be nice. We have met a few who we just ignore. The difference here is alot of people have moved here from different states. The people here seem to accept and want the changes. We are abour 40 minutes to Charlotte, NC. Other than having to repeat what I say many times cause we don't have the "souther twang", we have found the people very, very nice. (It goes both ways) After the third time I ask someone to repeat what they have said, I just smile if I still don't understand them. I must admit that we have not gone to Charlotte since we have lived here. The crime rate, even in the daylight hours keeps us away. We travel to Hickory or farther up in the mountains. We have great jobs and are settled, and the only thing I miss is snow. Left NY because of it, and now I miss it. We use to have Christmas lights on all the houses and with the snow it was so beautiful. I miss the deep deep colors of the autumn leaves, and the less humid summers. But all in all I can't thank the people enough here for being so kind, caring and supportive of us.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:15 PM

25 posts, read 153,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Plenty of people come to NC from other parts of the country and get along just fine. Maybe the problem here isn't the good folks of Wilson.
How easy and simplistic

I agree the original poster didn't exactly write the most diplomatic thread in the history of message boards, but I see where she's coming from. And I'll give her some slack because obviously, some of the things she wrote were just out of frustration. And I also know that being homesick can sometimes make us bitter.

I like my town here in NC, and most people are nice. But if you don't think that it's hard to build close friendships with native Carolinians, then you:
(a) were either born and raised here, so you already have all the friends you need
(b) are not a social butterfly, so lacking social interaction is no problem to you

I do feel that the comment about the local economy was uncalled for. And although I personally crave for plenty of different restaurants and all that jazz, I think it's wrong to want to impose a different lifestyle onto natives who have been here all their lives. After all, you're just a newcomer and it's important not to forget that.

I have been lucky not to encounter any discrimination towards myself, but I have heard a lot of remarks from natives about New Yorkers. So whoever says that there is no resentment towards northerners doesn't know what they're talking about. My own father in law keeps calling them "those damn yanks", even though he's hardly ever interacted with any.

I'm sure there are some rude New Yorkers out there who come here with an attitude, but I have also met a lot of southeners who just won't give people a chance. But then again, that's mainly in small towns, and I'm sure it's a completely different story in bigger cities.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:53 PM

34 posts, read 97,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
It's kind of hard to take this post so seriously on how you feel about "this day and age and the predjudice" as you yourself are stating your "vent" in a higly prejudice manner (listens for the gasps). Reread your post, you start with a title that has Yankees in it twice. Next you move on to push it that all southerners act like this and better watch out you all are coming. Really what kind of statment are you yourself trying to get across; or is simply a matter of exclaiming?
Wilson has long survived without any huge influx from other areas, and you might want to remind yourself that not everyone is looking for choices in restaurants etc. and that might be what attracted people to these areas to begin with. And stating rubbish such as wondering this and that on the economy...well I will say you are just venting- and could not possibly think these people go to bed every night and ask for an influx of people to move here so the economy booms. Nor should you be expecting them to be grateful, as they are participating in the economy just as much as you feel you may be.
Now to the real issue here....you are saddened you are finding it difficult to form friendships, and to that I say I am sorry you are finding it difficult and hope it does get better for you and your children.
Funny how you dont dispute the facts though , Are we welcome with open arms????

Old 07-24-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Plenty of people come to NC from other parts of the country and get along just fine. Maybe the problem here isn't the good folks of Wilson.
HUM.....Nagh, Im just fine thanks so much for the input

Old 07-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e'smom17 View Post
Chedonna,

I fully understand. My sister lived in Wilson-she made it all of 4 months. We went down in May to retrieve her stuff and were not treated very well. We went into the big BBQ place in town and were looked at like we were space aliens. My family is moving to Clayton next year-it is alot more "balanced" in terms of how you are treated. I think Wilson is more of the small town mind-set. Its a shame, there are really nice areas. Hang in there, with more people coming into the area, there is bound to be change. Good luck!
Thank you, we will hang in there

Old 07-24-2007, 07:02 PM

Thank you everyone for the diverse reply, at least there are some open minds still around

Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyCat View Post
How easy and simplistic

I agree the original poster didn't exactly write the most diplomatic thread in the history of message boards, but I see where she's coming from. And I'll give her some slack because obviously, some of the things she wrote were just out of frustration. And I also know that being homesick can sometimes make us bitter.

I like my town here in NC, and most people are nice. But if you don't think that it's hard to build close friendships with native Carolinians, then you:
(a) were either born and raised here, so you already have all the friends you need
(b) are not a social butterfly, so lacking social interaction is no problem to you

I do feel that the comment about the local economy was uncalled for. And although I personally crave for plenty of different restaurants and all that jazz, I think it's wrong to want to impose a different lifestyle onto natives who have been here all their lives. After all, you're just a newcomer and it's important not to forget that.

I have been lucky not to encounter any discrimination towards myself, but I have heard a lot of remarks from natives about New Yorkers. So whoever says that there is no resentment towards northerners doesn't know what they're talking about. My own father in law keeps calling them "those damn yanks", even though he's hardly ever interacted with any.

I'm sure there are some rude New Yorkers out there who come here with an attitude, but I have also met a lot of southeners who just won't give people a chance. But then again, that's mainly in small towns, and I'm sure it's a completely different story in bigger cities.
GEE thanks for the compliment?,

Old 07-24-2007, 07:05 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyCat View Post
I am a native North Carolinian and my 2 closest friends are originally from AZ and PA.

Yes, it is harder to make close friends as an adult than it was in childhood or in college so if you move away from "home" then that is a challenge that you will face. Of course it is easier to blame Southerners for being insular (as if Northerners and Californians aren't ) than to take personal responsibility for your relationships.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:40 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedonna View Post
Funny how you dont dispute the facts though , Are we welcome with open arms????
Actually, no I do not think it is funny.
And I did not post to engage in confrontational nonsense of the north vs the south. It is what you make of it.
I shall not judge from behind a pc monitor, the residents of Wilson or you and how you portray yourself in real life. I only know my own experiences which is
absolutely fine in all the times we spent there.

I posted to "fix" a few facts that were blown out of proportion in your rant and bring the attention of your post that is was sounding just as predjudice.
And I posted to state I was looking at the real issue of you having trouble making friendships and hoped it got better for you.

Please, do not try to engage me in anything further as this is not needed. You will either in the end decide to stick it out or leave.

Last edited by autumngal; 07-24-2007 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-24-2007, 09:45 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
No problems in E NC (Greenville/Winterville). We learned quickly 4 hrs. ago, if you are inviting neighbors to a bar-b-que, there better be a pig on it. You will get the occasional ribbing, but in fun. We love it here and are very accepted.
A little tip about Wilson, it has the only open MRI in the entire state.
Really. So the open MRI centers in Asheville and Wilmington and Charlotte and Winston-Salem, etc are fake......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina