Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your thoughts
What can be done to help the new citizens of NC? 12 60.00%
a southerners point of view 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:51 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,304,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Plenty of people come to NC from other parts of the country and get along just fine. Maybe the problem here isn't the good folks of Wilson.
How dare you suggest such a thing!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:50 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,070,538 times
What we have here is a failure to communicate me thinks.....

Old 07-25-2007, 08:03 AM

34 posts, read 97,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
Actually, no I do not think it is funny.
And I did not post to engage in confrontational nonsense of the north vs the south. It is what you make of it.
I shall not judge from behind a pc monitor, the residents of Wilson or you and how you portray yourself in real life. I only know my own experiences which is
absolutely fine in all the times we spent there.

I posted to "fix" a few facts that were blown out of proportion in your rant and bring the attention of your post that is was sounding just as predjudice.
And I posted to state I was looking at the real issue of you having trouble making friendships and hoped it got better for you.

Please, do not try to engage me in anything further as this is not needed. You will either in the end decide to stick it out or leave.
You pose a rebutal on a public open forum correct?Express your opion as did I ,whoever is to judge is not up to us,,so call it venting ,expressing, or ranting it just will show the true nature of people.And bring light to the subject.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:57 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,447,151 times
I'm from rural South Carolina, from a town that's probably similar to Wilson, or other small towns in North Carolina. Living in downtown Wilmington so far, I've met a lot of people from other places. New York, Connecticut, Jersey, California, Michigan, Massachussetts, etc. In fact, I've only met a handful of people who are actually from Wilmington.

Some of these people I really like. At their best, they are very blunt, and quite funny. In some cases, the people fit in perfectly, and if it weren't for their accent, I never would've known they were from somewhere else.

Some of them I can't stand. One guy in particular I know, always complains that he is being prejudged, because he's from up North. In reality, people don't take to him, because he is such a jerk to everybody.. combatitive, loud, angry all the time, always arguing with people, complaining about how hot it is, how the food sucks, etc..

We explained to him that you just can't act like that and expect people to like you.
His response: "...Act like what?"
He is like a living, breathing faux pas, and I feel sorry for him.

Last edited by anonymous; 07-25-2007 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-25-2007, 03:57 PM

577 posts, read 1,895,917 times
I lived in NC all my life and I have never noticed transplants making the school better or making better medical centers. It was that which brings the transplants not the other way around. Wake county schools were better before the huge influx not the other way around. If people would stop thinking this place was a pig farm before they came here they might fit in better. Remember where every one is leaving from and coming to, not the other way around and thats do to my fellow Tarheels for making good schools and medical ctrs.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:31 PM

954 posts, read 4,366,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
.Some of them I can't stand. One guy in particular I know, always complains that he is being prejudged, because he's from up North. In reality, people don't take to him, because he is such a jerk to everybody.. combatitive, loud, angry all the time, always arguing with people, complaining about how hot it is, how the food sucks, etc..

We explained to him that you just can't act like that and expect people to like you.
His response: "...Act like what?"
He is like a living, breathing faux pas, and I feel sorry for him.
This was my only obersevation that somewhat differs with this. Being from Detroit when I moved to NC, I noticed that if someone was a Jerk, and from Up North, the reason he was a Jerk was that he was a Yankee. On the other hand, if someone from the area was a Jerk, then it was just "his way".
I suppose that is human nature.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:33 PM

954 posts, read 4,366,088 times
BTW - If you are looking for Yankees, then you are looking in the wrong town.
As said earlier, you need to look farther West in the Growth Belt from Raleigh to Charlotte.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedonna View Post
We recently moved to Wilson , NC in January, hum, how shall I put this, The minute I open my mouth, a get a confused stare, the smile drops and the attitude changes. My children and I are having the hardest time making friends, or shall I say developing friendships, other than politeness.
It really amazes me that this day and age, with all the advances that people are so predjedus!! I grew up in a small town,and while there was always new people moving in, as long as they were a GOOD family, it did not matter to anyone how they talked, where they came from . Southerners don't want to be considered backwards etc., yet we get this response!!! Change is a fact of life and weather they want it or not, we are coming in droves, i think they better get over it , because this behavior only evokes anger and resentment, Come in open arms when we vacation and spend our money here, but try to mingle and live among them and well how dare we!!!Shoo us aside and maybe they will pack up and leave...Ever wonder how they economy has picked up in your town? Why there are more choices,restaurants etc.What ever happened to the more the merrier, good will towards mankind,what are we teaching our children???

Yikes!!! hopefully, I won't encounter the same problems. will soon be looking in Wake Forest and Rolesville areas. If anyone has any info on how the Northern transplants are fitting in, please let me know.
Even, if we have trouble making friends at first, it can't be worse than what South NJ is turning into. I gotta get outta here!!!!

Old 07-26-2007, 02:08 PM

28 posts, read 145,026 times
Default So. Pines perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinOutOfNewJersey View Post
Yikes!!! hopefully, I won't encounter the same problems. will soon be looking in Wake Forest and Rolesville areas. If anyone has any info on how the Northern transplants are fitting in, please let me know.
Even, if we have trouble making friends at first, it can't be worse than what South NJ is turning into. I gotta get outta here!!!!
Another area to consider is the So. Pines, Pinehurst area. I lot of transplants in this area. Living there temporarily, I went to a tavern for a football game (ah the miracle of direct tv sunday ticket) and found fans from every team. The area is a retirement draw however so I cannot speak of employment but it would be a smaller community then some of the alternates suggested.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:32 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,070,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
I lived in NC all my life and I have never noticed transplants making the school better or making better medical centers. . Remember where every one is leaving from and coming to, not the other way around and thats do to my fellow Tarheels for making good schools and medical ctrs.
you misunderstood: when an area grows, more money is sunk into necessities such as schools and medical centers which, in turn, draw higher end employees because the pay increases because their are more people moving into the area and more tax revenue is generated and more service-oriented businesses followthe crowd and more taxes are generated and in the end you have an area with better-better with the grand exception of traffic......

Or, in a nutshell, money follows money.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina