Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 8,213 times

Advertisements

Just a little background on where I am coming from here: My husband and I grew up near Kalamazoo, MI- a liberal college town where we attended Western Michigan University. We are young newlyweds and have just moved to the Fayetteville, NC area for his job. He's not military.

We are finding that we do not care for Fayetteville. The Haymount area/downtown seems like the only spot I do like...I do not want to slam Fayetteville, it may work for some people, but I would like something a little more developed or aesthetically pleasing. The people here are obviously not what I am used to as well and as a distance runner I am dissapointed in the lack of trails or places to run. We live in Raeford where people drive very fast and the roads are too narrow to feel safe. I have to drive a half hr to the Cape Fear River Trail to get a long run in or run 4 times around Lake Rim Park. I love Wilmington and people tell me I would fit in in Asheville or Chapel Hill, although those places are too far from my husband's job.

We moved for the adventure, and we are up for a challenge, but we want to be happy. SO, after all that, here's where I need help...my husband works in Hope Mills and we are looking for somewhere nice to commute from. Ideally we would like to find a town between Wilmington and Hope Mills (I know it's nothing but country in between, but I am not opposed to that if it's not run down looking like Elizabethtown since we could drive into Wilmington). OR between Hope Mills and Raleigh.

My husband does not want to drive more than an hour to work, which is why we have ruled out Pinehurst and Southern pines (I like that area a lot though).

To sum up what I am looking for... either a nice clean country town that's not far from a larger city, or a city near by that I haven't noticed yet. We are young educated and liberal people who enjoy the outdoors. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 10:29 AM

586 posts, read 1,547,003 times
I think the best thing you could do would be to make the drive between Fayetteville and Wilmington. But honestly, I don't think you will find what you are looking for in that area. Fuquay-Varina might be a great place for you but the commute to Hope Mills would be at least an hour and not the easiest drive. If you like Southern Pines or Pinehurst, what about Aberdeen?

Old 03-05-2011, 04:24 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
You know, sometimes in life you end up where things are not as you want...what was it that Gump said...lemonade from lemons. I think you are in one of those. I don't think there is a suitable alternative to living in or near Fayetteville, if the hour commute (and that would be miserable) at that.

It is hard for me to believe that will all the military in Fayetteville there are not more options for distance running. I feel for you, cause you appear to be out of your element, but at least the weather is warming up.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,905 times
As a Fayettenam native (and hater) and current Wilmington resident I can say that if I couldn't live in either city but had to work in one and wanted to live in close proximity to the other I would absolutely live in White Lake. It's a blast during the summer and it's a 45 minute commute to Hope Mills and a 50 minute ride to Wilmington.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:24 AM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. I will look into Aberdeen and White Lake! And yes, it's strange that there aren't more places to run in fayetteville, but from what I hear, if you have access to the base there are lots of places. Unfortunately I do not have access.
I will make lemonade out of lemons for now
By the way, Time2Travel, how do you like living in Wilmington? What are the people like? So far, when I have visited I have really enjoyed myself. Sounds like summers are wicked hot here in Fayetteville...I will have to make my way to the coast often to cool off!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 AM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
Have you looked at Clinton??

Old 03-06-2011, 05:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Why not look towards Harnett County or outside of Sanford?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 AM

We are now looking for cities up 95 to 40 towards Raleigh. My husbands work is on Tom Starling Rd in Hope Mills and it seems like a straight shot up towards Dunn, Benson, Clayton or Garner. We are considering going towards Raleigh as it is rated one of the most "runner-friendly" cities in America.

Google maps say it's just over an hr to get from Tom Starling rd to Garner. I dont have a lot of experience driving up 95 to 40, so I wonder if an hr is acurate... anyone know? Is this drive tolerable as far as traffic goes?

How does everyone feel about the cities I listed? I would like to be as close to the Cary-Raleigh area as possible...just because I hear it has character and a cool culture. If we chose Garner, where would be the "coolest" place to live?
Thanks!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:33 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternMichRunnerGirl23 View Post
Google maps say it's just over an hr to get from Tom Starling rd to Garner. I dont have a lot of experience driving up 95 to 40, so I wonder if an hr is acurate... anyone know? Is this drive tolerable as far as traffic goes?

How does everyone feel about the cities I listed? I would like to be as close to the Cary-Raleigh area as possible...just because I hear it has character and a cool culture. If we chose Garner, where would be the "coolest" place to live?
Garner is still a "blue collar" town among the rest of the Triangle. Probably the least "cool" place in the Triangle. If you're going to commute that long (and I don't think it would be an enjoyable commute--plus with the rampant growth in southern Wake county, it will only get worse), you might as well come all the way into Raleigh. But look at Fuquay-Varina; it still has some small-town feel though has exploded with growth in the past decade so is full of spanking-new suburban neighborhoods, which may not be your thing.

You might try Buies Creek, which is a small town near Fayetteville but Campbell University is there, so it would have some "college vibe" and almost certainly good recreational options. Unfortunately the part of the state you're asking about is pretty dry in terms of the things you're looking for.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM

586 posts, read 1,547,003 times
I had responded earlier to your post but with your recent post, I can comment on the drive. I currently make the drive from Willow Spring (Johnston county) exit 319 along 40 to 95. I then take 295 to go into Fayetteville. My drive takes about 50-55 minutes. We moved to the south side of 40 based on the amount of traffic coming from Clayton to I-40. I think the bypass has helped but route 42 (exit 312) seems to be crowded at any time in the morning. I have colleagues that commute from Garner (near the White Oak Mall) and it takes them about an hour. Other colleagues commute from Raleigh and it takes over an hour. The ride is not bad in terms of traffic, however be mindful that you are adding two hours onto a workday which might not be great. Benson has a cute downtown but veer a few blocks away you can be in a shady neighborhood. I hope you can make the situation work for both of you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina