U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:50 AM

225 posts, read 881,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiomom View Post
I agree with you 100%, RaleighRob!!!! In fact, I think I'll quote you to my dh so he knows there are other people who think like me about old homes!

I feel the same way OhioMom! We currently live in a home build 1900 (Georgian style farm house). It is solid with tons of character. Even the new construction made to look "old with character" still doesn't "feel" the same.

We are moving to the Raleigh area, but, I don't think I will be able to talk my husband into buying an older home again. He is currently dazzled by all the new homes with great trim packages (much better then we would get up here, alot more crown moldings included etc...& best of all for him---No Restoring anything!!)

Good Luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 12:48 PM

45 posts, read 150,458 times
My favorite link for finding old homes is [mod cut]. I found one in Newton there that I really like. Don't know much about Newton, but may look at it if it's still on the market. Has a red roof. You'll see it if you go to the link.

I'm so glad I found other old home lovers.

Last edited by Yac; 08-25-2006 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-25-2006, 01:15 PM

1,531 posts, read 6,834,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie View Post
We are moving to the Raleigh area, but, I don't think I will be able to talk my husband into buying an older home again. He is currently dazzled by all the new homes with great trim packages (much better then we would get up here, alot more crown moldings included etc...& best of all for him---No Restoring anything!!)
See if you can talk him into a compromise...older home but completely restored and renovated with modern amenties, appliances, etc, that wouldn't need any further restoration done by him. There are a good few of those around.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 42,708 times
Salisbury has about 3 available and already restored; I remember seeing them in the last week or so. I regularly visit the library right in the middle of the historic area and could take some photos if you would like. Rowan County has a very strong historical restoration society that makes sure the restorations are done right. Rowan County is within a reasonable commuting time to Charlotte, if you plan on working there. Here in China Grove we have only a handful of Victorian homes, none of which are on the market right now. There is also a planned community in Concord called Afton Village that has some space available and has at least one or two new home plans that are along the line of Victorian homes.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:38 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,339,525 times
There was/is a home builder (John Crosland) in NC that built some homes (named after his Mother: Lillian Floyd Homes) that were in the Classical style, Colonial Revival and Victorian (to die for). The company has since been bought by Turnberry Homes (they do alot of brick homes and some arts and crafts) but the Lillian Floyd Homes can be seen at Baxter Village in Fort Mill and also Birkdale (that should get a1m1700's attention ) among other locations

crosland.com/about_us/media/newsroom/archive/2000/1st_half/19426.shtml

villageofbaxter.com/news/releases4_26_00.asp

Old 08-25-2006, 08:54 PM

212 posts, read 847,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
There was/is a home builder (John Crosland) in NC that built some homes (named after his Mother: Lillian Floyd Homes) that were in the Classical style, Colonial Revival and Victorian (to die for). The company has since been bought by Turnberry Homes (they do alot of brick homes and some arts and crafts) but the Lillian Floyd Homes can be seen at Baxter Village in Fort Mill and also Birkdale (that should get a1m1700's attention ) among other locations

crosland.com/about_us/media/newsroom/archive/2000/1st_half/19426.shtml

villageofbaxter.com/news/releases4_26_00.asp
Love, have you been to Baxter Village? I know you are in Tega Cay so I'm not sure if that is nearby. I have been reading about this development and it has really perked my interest. It reminds me of Birkdale but the SC version

Old 08-25-2006, 09:17 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,339,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll View Post
Love, have you been to Baxter Village? I know you are in Tega Cay so I'm not sure if that is nearby. I have been reading about this development and it has really perked my interest. It reminds me of Birkdale but the SC version
oh we are there alot...it's just a couple of miles down the road (for dining and then we head over to the YMCA to work off what we just ate...in reality..we work much harder at the dining part).

Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 PM

212 posts, read 847,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
oh we are there alot...it's just a couple of miles down the road (for dining and then we head over to the YMCA to work off what we just ate...in reality..we work much harder at the dining part).
Thank you. I assume that is a thumbs up then

Old 08-25-2006, 09:52 PM

333 posts, read 1,095,421 times
I wonder why builders don't try to make more of these homes in that older style (with the new amenities) - of course realizing that todays builders would cut corners to keep costs low, but there still seems to be a high demand for this style with more architectural interest and harkens back to the heyday etc so you could charge a premium, style the outside in "old fashioned way" but build the inside with open floor plans, vaulted ceiling, lots of natural night, hardwood floors, and you get the best of both worlds. You can "do it yourself" to an older home, but most people seem to want new construction they can walk in day 1 and "live" so I am curious that more home builders don't try this. Maybe building a 3600 sq foot home in this style would look too wacky

Old 08-26-2006, 09:06 AM

225 posts, read 881,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
See if you can talk him into a compromise...older home but completely restored and renovated with modern amenties, appliances, etc, that wouldn't need any further restoration done by him. There are a good few of those around.
I will if I find the right place. However, the internet research I've done on my own--checking into older neighborhoods prices/home sizes---from what I can tell, it looks like older historcal homes which have been renovated in the Raleigh area are:

#1 $$$$$$. We would like a home in the 3,000 sq. foot range & most of the historcal homes I've seen which are available for sale over 2,000 sq. ft. are out of our price range.

#2 in a less disarable school district (again, only from what I've read & test scores). With 4 kids to still put through middle & h.s., I'd like to be in a strong-good school system.

#3 Because of husbands job location, he would like to stay around Cary or Apex---and I do like the homes in Macgregore Downs (sp?) but, again the few in our price range need lots of up-dating---the ones that are move in ready and way too $$$. That is the only "older" neighborbood I've stumbled upon in the Cary/Apex area.

Now, I may be completely off base because I'm just going by what I've researched with my very limited knowledge of the area.

I did love the homes in Cameron Park & Budleigh amoung others!!!Beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina