Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:35 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,473,529 times

Advertisements

I'd say Huntersville is more comparable to Cary. 24K in 2000 and 46K in 2010 with no signs of slowing down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:46 AM

963 posts, read 2,399,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Wilmington will reach the 200,000 mark very soon. New Hanover County already has a population over 200,000 and it's just a matter of time before the city annexes the rest of it.
Wilmington recently (within the last few years) officially adopted the same policy that Charlotte has - an every-other-year schedule for annexations, with the planned areas over the next several years already studied and demarcated. This is of course dependent on what happens with the current NC annexation laws, but their study areas have a total population of around 50,000. So barring drastic changes to current annexation laws, Wilmington will almost certainly be somewhere between 140,000 and 160,000 by 2020.

The community of Castle Hayne, in far northern New Hanover, is going ahead with a planned incorporation, which Wilmington made no attempt at blocking, so I would assume that leaders in Wilmington and the future town of Castle Hayne have already hashed out some sort of annexation agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
How large is Indian Trail today? Cary in 1990 was about 44,000.
Growing up in Charlotte, in the Idlewild Road area, Indian Trail was about 5 streets and no traffic lights as recently as the mid 1980s. I think it was around 1000 in 1980, not yet 5000 into the early 90s (towns under 5000 can't involuntarily annex without state approval, and Indian Trail, at a time when it's population was just below 5000 attempted to annex a large area that it since has annexed, and the original annexation was overturned for this reason). It's 33,000+ now, and the vast majority of that has been since about 1995.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I expect Concord and Gastonia to be at at least 80k. Concord if it doesn't hit 100k, will be in the 90s.

And in the perrenial pissing match we have with Charlotte and Raleigh, Mecklenburg has 3 cities.
Concord could make 100K - if not it will be very close.

Gastonia's rate of growth has been considerably slower. They could do a couple annexations to the South (the areas - South Gastonia and areas near the airport - qualify, though they haven't been studied) and add several thousand people quickly. Large annexations haven't been a priority over there, and the costs VS benefits might not shake out so well - the $ of running services to those areas, VS what they would gain in revenue. The completion of the Garden Pkwy, which seems to keep being pushed back, will open up a lot of south Gaston to future development, so that might change things quickly over there, but if that happens, it will be at least 7 or 8 years, and probably more. In the meantime, they seem more interested in trying to revitalize their downtown than annexing outlying areas, and they have their work cut out for them on that front, but it's great that they're trying.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:01 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,260,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Wilmington recently (within the last few years) officially adopted the same policy that Charlotte has - an every-other-year schedule for annexations, with the planned areas over the next several years already studied and demarcated. This is of course dependent on what happens with the current NC annexation laws, but their study areas have a total population of around 50,000. So barring drastic changes to current annexation laws, Wilmington will almost certainly be somewhere between 140,000 and 160,000 by 2020.

The community of Castle Hayne, in far northern New Hanover, is going ahead with a planned incorporation, which Wilmington made no attempt at blocking, so I would assume that leaders in Wilmington and the future town of Castle Hayne have already hashed out some sort of annexation agreement.

Growing up in Charlotte, in the Idlewild Road area, Indian Trail was about 5 streets and no traffic lights as recently as the mid 1980s. I think it was around 1000 in 1980, not yet 5000 into the early 90s (towns under 5000 can't involuntarily annex without state approval, and Indian Trail, at a time when it's population was just below 5000 attempted to annex a large area that it since has annexed, and the original annexation was overturned for this reason). It's 33,000+ now, and the vast majority of that has been since about 1995.

Concord could make 100K - if not it will be very close.

Gastonia's rate of growth has been considerably slower. They could do a couple annexations to the South (the areas - South Gastonia and areas near the airport - qualify, though they haven't been studied) and add several thousand people quickly. Large annexations haven't been a priority over there, and the costs VS benefits might not shake out so well - the $ of running services to those areas, VS what they would gain in revenue. The completion of the Garden Pkwy, which seems to keep being pushed back, will open up a lot of south Gaston to future development, so that might change things quickly over there, but if that happens, it will be at least 7 or 8 years, and probably more. In the meantime, they seem more interested in trying to revitalize their downtown than annexing outlying areas, and they have their work cut out for them on that front, but it's great that they're trying.
IMO, the revitalization of Gastonia is more important that annexations. Making the community a desirable place will bring people there. Take Belmont and Mount Holly for example, those places are doing quite well. Concord and most likely Rock Hill have now passed up Gastonia in population. Huntersville, Kannapolis, and Indian Trail are growing quite fast and in the next 20-30 years have the potential to pass up Gastonia. Gastonia needs to do something about the economy there. Your suggestions about annexations are quite informative.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times
Quote:
IMO, the revitalization of Gastonia is more important that annexations. Making the community a desirable place will bring people there. Take Belmont and Mount Holly for example, those places are doing quite well. Concord and most likely Rock Hill have now passed up Gastonia in population. Huntersville, Kannapolis, and Indian Trail are growing quite fast and in the next 20-30 years have the potential to pass up Gastonia. Gastonia needs to do something about the economy there. Your suggestions about annexations are quite informative.
I occasionally check certain topics on the Greenville/Spartanburg board. I did that a while back & there was a thread where they discussed SC annexations vs NC annexations. Gastonia was brought up & a poster suggested that Gastonia could boost their population to ~ 85K if they annexed like their peers. I think that you're right about them concentrating on revitalization. Also, Kings Mountain is now ~10 or 11K, in the city, but the zip code (City + Twp.) is ~28K. The city is only doing small, voluntary, annexations. I read that they are doing it that way because they are focused on revitalization & don't want the financial drain of large annexations. I also suspect that they are also avoiding certain areas that are rife with trailers. The city does not allow them but has to grandfather them if they are there at the time of annexation.

Last edited by southbound_295; 03-11-2011 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-11-2011, 11:24 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
This sounds more like a Holly Springs story than a Cary story.
Holly Springs was practically nothing as late as the early 90s. Now it's well over 20,000. But, in Wake County, Holly Springs has to contend with Apex's and Fuquay-Varina's own ambitions. With the opening of the 540 toll road to RTP next year, I suspect the growth in that part of Wake County will continue to swell.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:01 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,267,595 times
Quote:
Concord and most likely Rock Hill have now passed up Gastonia in population.
Gastonia (for as long as I've been familiar with the town) does NOT like promoting itself as Charlotte's neighbor. I don't know why this is, but it is. The natives (some, not all) of that county are proud of the fact that they "don't have to go to Charlotte for nothing". Many natives brag about never ever visiting Charlotte in their lives (which is a lie). Anyways, take a look at the visitors' websites of Cabarrus, York, And Gaston counties. Notice which county has completely omitted Charlotte's name from its front page.
Quote:
As Charlotte's Southern Neighbor, York County offers all the amenities of a big city tempered with real, authentic history and sincere Southern hospitality. York County remains an undiscovered, uncompromised destination within a thriving metropolitan region.
York County Visitors Bureau : Clover, Fort Mill, Lake Wylie, Rock Hill, Tega Cay, York

Quote:
"Cabarrus County, "Where Racing Lives," is home to an unequaled concentration of motorsports attractions from Charlotte Motor Speedway and zMAX Dragway to Hendrick Motorsports and Kannapolis, the hometown of racing legend Dale Earnhardt, Sr.
Visit Cabarrus: Where Racing Lives

Quote:
Rock climbing! Fourteen miles of trails to bike, hike, or run. Hundreds of acres of woodlands! The world’s largest man-made whitewater river to fill up your springtime at the US National Whitewater Center! Buy one Pass and PLAY ALL DAY!!
visitgaston.org - visitgaston.org (http://www.gastontourism.com/ - broken link)

They (Gaston county) claimed the US National Whitewater center yet they won't claim Charlotte. IMO, it only helps metro Charlotte that Gastonia's name will soon be omitted from the MSA. Charlotte, Rock Hill, Concord sounds good to me!

Old 03-11-2011, 12:09 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Gastonia (for as long as I've been familiar with the town) does NOT like promoting itself as Charlotte's neighbor. I don't know why this is, but it is. The natives (some, not all) of that county are proud of the fact that they "don't have to go to Charlotte for nothing". Many natives brag about never ever visiting Charlotte in their lives (which is a lie). Anyways, take a look at the visitors' websites of Cabarrus, York, And Gaston counties. Notice which county has completely omitted Charlotte's name from its front page.

York County Visitors Bureau : Clover, Fort Mill, Lake Wylie, Rock Hill, Tega Cay, York

Visit Cabarrus: Where Racing Lives

visitgaston.org - visitgaston.org (http://www.gastontourism.com/ - broken link)

They claimed the US National Whitewater center yet they won't claim Charlotte. IMO, it only helps metro Charlotte that Gastonia's name will soon be omitted from the MSA. Charlotte, Rock Hill, Concord sounds good to me!
I'm guessing that Charlotte refusing to work with them on the commuter train played a part in that. Just a guess,, mind you.

For shopping, I only need Charlotte for Ulta & Trader Joe's. Ulta is coming to Gastonia in August. . .

Old 03-11-2011, 04:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
Quote:
Really? How large are those 5 cities combined?
I found some more land area information at this link:
http://www.osbm.state.nc.us/ncosbm/f...g/ppla8009.htm

As of 2009:

Raleigh is 142.368 sq miles of land
Cary is 54.011 sq miles of land
Apex is 15.791 sq miles of land
Garner is 15.028 sq miles of land
Wake Forest: not on the list. So, for now, the best we have is Wikipedia at 7.9 square miles but that number has to be wrong.

Raleigh+Cary+Apex+Garner = 227.198 sq miles. I am guessing that Wake Forest is probably somewhere along the lines of Garner & Apex in physical size. That would but the 5 cities somewhere in the vacinity of 242 sq miles.

For reference, Charlotte is currenlty 298.97 sq miles of land.

Interestingly, Charlotte was 242 square miles of land in 2000. At that time, Charlotte was ~540,000.

The 5 largest municipalities at ~242 square miles in Wake are currently 632,464. These 5 municipalities are contiguous, in that they are connected city limit to city limit with each other with Raleigh connecting all but Apex: which is connected to Cary.

As a side note: Even if Mint Hill's and Huntersville's municipal 2000 populations were added (without their land area) to Charlotte's 2000 population, it would still be lower than Wake's top 5 in 2010.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:01 AM

7,051 posts, read 12,267,595 times
^^^The distance from Apex to Wake Forest is a few miles longer than the distance between Fort Mill SC and Huntersville NC. This fact shows a serious flaw in what you are trying to say.

As for the thread topic, it's nice to see NC with almost ten 100K towns.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,260,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I found some more land area information at this link:
http://www.osbm.state.nc.us/ncosbm/f...g/ppla8009.htm

As of 2009:

Raleigh is 142.368 sq miles of land
Cary is 54.011 sq miles of land
Apex is 15.791 sq miles of land
Garner is 15.028 sq miles of land
Wake Forest: not on the list. So, for now, the best we have is Wikipedia at 7.9 square miles but that number has to be wrong.

Raleigh+Cary+Apex+Garner = 227.198 sq miles. I am guessing that Wake Forest is probably somewhere along the lines of Garner & Apex in physical size. That would but the 5 cities somewhere in the vacinity of 242 sq miles.

For reference, Charlotte is currenlty 298.97 sq miles of land.

Interestingly, Charlotte was 242 square miles of land in 2000. At that time, Charlotte was ~540,000.

The 5 largest municipalities at ~242 square miles in Wake are currently 632,464. These 5 municipalities are contiguous, in that they are connected city limit to city limit with each other with Raleigh connecting all but Apex: which is connected to Cary.

As a side note: Even if Mint Hill's and Huntersville's municipal 2000 populations were added (without their land area) to Charlotte's 2000 population, it would still be lower than Wake's top 5 in 2010.

Thanks so much for the info. It does appear Wakes top 5 do pack quite a bit of punch density wise.

One thing I do want to point out is the Charlotte added 50 square miles and 190k. That is a density of nearly 4k per square mile. I think that metric alone is proof that most of Charlotte's was not due to annexation alone because that density is higher than the Meck average.

On a another note, come visit Huntersville and you'll see what I'm saying. The town is similar to the look and feel of the area near Cary Towne Center Mall. When the 2020 Census comes out I think this will be more proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina