Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 AM

7 posts, read 40,955 times

Advertisements

I'm a girl, and a senior in high school and I'm now choosing between ECU and UNCG. Two bad things that I have heard about the schools are for ECU I heard from one person that it is just like high school (cliquey girls) and for UNCG i heard there's nothing really to do on the weekends (a lot of peopel go home). I'm slightly leaning towards ECU without that comment of high school, just because when I visited there was more people around and It seems like more fun. So, I was wondering everyone's honest opinion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
what do you plane on majoring in?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 AM

13 posts, read 16,340 times
I am a graduate of UNCG and I also considered ECU...I felt like UNCG was a wonderful place for an education AND a lot of fun!!! In the beginning everybody goes home a lot but by January...you are ready to stay at school and have fun with friends! If education is your major, UNCG is perfect! Good luck in your decision making process!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
As the other person asked, what is your major? As you likely know, ECU has the reputation of being a "party school", but it is also good in certain programs, especially Arts. UNC-G is smaller and you would be in a more urban environment with all the Triad has to offer, while Greenville is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere--though it is much closer to the beach. ECU also has a more prominent sports, especially football, "scene" if you like that part of the collegiate experience.

Don't let one person's comment about cliques paint the whole school in a certain way. There are cliques in EVERY college, just as there are non-cliquy people in every college. Use other factors for your decision--I'd say the urban metro vs smaller city, beach vs mid-state, and larger school vs smaller school elements are things to consider. Also look at the specific requirements for your desired major (if you know) and the general college requirements on each school's website; that might tell you something. I think UNC-G has a slightly more "academic" reputation overall, but that's hearsay.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:23 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
I can't imagine not finding SOMETHING to do in Greensboro...and you think there are things to do on the weekend in ecu? ...

As for the friend's comment.... don't forget that it could be the drama that he or she creates around her self, and not a reflection of the school as a whole.

In the end you need to visit both of them and make a decision based on how YOU feel about it. and if you make a mistake, transfer in a year.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:37 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
I agree mostly on what everyone above has mentioned.

ECU is a big school. If there are "cliquey girls", and that isn't your cup of tea, then don't hang out with them. I am positive there are people who would fit your personality perfectly here.

But the biggest thing is, what do you want to major in? ECU is great in the sciences, business, teaching, nursing, arts, etc. I am sure UNCG is good at something as well.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
ECU has gotten better but if you are looking to a grad school outside of NC, or want to go outside of NC for employment, my advice would be to steer clear of ECU. I know folks will say ECU is fine, and it is, but it has a terrible reputation outside of NC..at least up the east coast..Washington, Philly, NYC, and Boston. The exceptions are some of the arts programs, but that is about it.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 PM

7 posts, read 40,955 times
I'm going in undecided.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
I have to say I agree with some of the other posters. ECU does not seem to have a very good reputation anymore and I am not sure why. It seems that UNCG has gained the reputation that ECU lost. (It is hard to say this - I graduated from ECU).

Old 03-17-2011, 04:42 PM

881 posts, read 2,252,795 times
Since you have visited ECU I would set up a visit at UNCG. Personally I did not like UNCG at all when I went for a visit. My friend who ended up attended liked it for the most part. Since you are undecided pick the one you like the most, you can always transfer to another school.

Several of my friends graduated from ECU around 2003-2005 and all are doing fine, heck a few are making way more money than me. My brother and several off his friends graduated last year and all have jobs now. As mentioned ECU does have "party" reputation but I'm not seeing where it's grads are being hurt by it. Networking and alumni connections seem to be strong there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina