U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-23-2011, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 18,463 times
Default Relocate to NC with 9?

Is it possible to relocate to NC for a family of 9? Safe neighborhoods, great schools, job markets, and the most important, an affordable house for 9? We were looking for some land as well? Any help is appreciated. We are in PA and the winters, are bad, the schools, no good and my husband has been unemployed for a year, 100 resumes and nothing here in PA...time for a change.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 PM

43,338 posts, read 51,914,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmomma2011 View Post
Is it possible to relocate to NC for a family of 9? Safe neighborhoods, great schools, job markets, and the most important, an affordable house for 9? We were looking for some land as well? Any help is appreciated. We are in PA and the winters, are bad, the schools, no good and my husband has been unemployed for a year, 100 resumes and nothing here in PA...time for a change.

You don't give enough info for anyone to help you, sorry.

What do YOU consider "affordable"?

What kind of jobs would you be looking for?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:11 PM

7,342 posts, read 9,293,494 times
1000's of resume and the same result here...

Old 03-23-2011, 11:11 PM

7,585 posts, read 9,632,395 times
NC is not the place to move unless you have a job SECURED, right now. You don't want to uproot 7 kids from their home only to have to move again if you strike out here, too. What industry are you looking in?

PS: good neighborhood + good schools + "some land" + a house big enough for 9 = probably not as "affordable" as you'd like. It's all about supply and demand, and the better neighborhoods, with better schools, and of course larger lots all add $$$ to the price.

You haven't really provided enough info for anyone to give helpful answers. Why NC and not another state? any specific area? What has made you think this is a good fit for you? What area of the state are you looking at (it's a very diverse state)? Etc. Etc.

Moving a huge family "just to get out of where you are" is not a wise thing to do in this economy. NC is 10th highest in the US in unemployment and that doesn't count all the out-of-state people applying for the jobs that are here. HR recruiters say most jobs get hundreds of resumes. So unless you or your husband is in a high-demand field, you may have to move to somewhere, ANYWHERE, he can find work. The center of the country (Texas, OK, Kansas etc) is said to be the best job market right now, though you haven't said what field you're looking in.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,377,493 times
There are houses big enough for nine. There are houses on acreage. We live in a house like that. Affordable? We moved here from California, so to us it was very affordable. Put a number on "affordable" and it will mean more.

As others have said, the job is the big thing. Find that, and the rest will work fine.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,076,282 times
sure..

with a job and money to buy/rent a home large enough to accommodate your family.

i would suggest outside wake county, cheaper land and homes.

have a job before you move.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:46 AM

6 posts, read 18,463 times
Thanks to all, my husband worked as a prison guard here in PA and was laid off last April, now he does maintenance work/custodial things, sad but there aren't any jobs here in this town. We are moving to get out of a dying area and move ahead in life. I wouldn't go anywhere till he has a job, people here say NC is a growing area, and it is for families, I guess talk is cheap? It is hard to find a good job today without an education. But here we are and kids, so for now, he has to look for work in any field he can get. He has considered police work, warehouse work, or back to a prison. I will continue to look and see what we find. We would rent to start out. We have 4 bedrooms here and no yard. Thanks for all of your help.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:17 AM

7,342 posts, read 9,293,494 times
Check with the counties / state department of corrections?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 AM

43,338 posts, read 51,914,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmomma2011 View Post
Thanks to all, my husband worked as a prison guard here in PA and was laid off last April, now he does maintenance work/custodial things, sad but there aren't any jobs here in this town. We are moving to get out of a dying area and move ahead in life. I wouldn't go anywhere till he has a job, people here say NC is a growing area, and it is for families, I guess talk is cheap? It is hard to find a good job today without an education. But here we are and kids, so for now, he has to look for work in any field he can get. He has considered police work, warehouse work, or back to a prison. I will continue to look and see what we find. We would rent to start out. We have 4 bedrooms here and no yard. Thanks for all of your help.

Have him look at this site for Butner Federal Prison near the Raleigh area, maybe there are openings?

BOP: FCC Butner

Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,103,204 times
Jobs are not as plentiful in NC as the "best places to live" writers would lead you to believe.

Is your husband eligible to look into law enforcement? That could broaden your search criteria.

For such a large family, having job in hand is the most important, and those that need a job need to focus their efforts on where in the USA there is a demand for the skills/background you can offer. Crappy weather is an after though, food on the table is more important.

Other areas in the US that are building up are the plains states, especially the Dakotas, and Texas may still be on the up swing. I know my cousin just recently vacated a prison guard position in TX, but not sure where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina