U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 PM

11 posts, read 14,402 times

Advertisements

Both my hubby and I are Massachusetts natives. We have a 2 year old daughter and a baby on the way. Pros are having friends and family close by, cons are dealing with 6 months of cold weather and ridiculous housing prices (currently living in the cheaper end of the state, 4 bedroom 1.5 bath 100+year old house on busy street with .25 acres- paid $240K).

We are beginning to think about relocating. NC seems reasonable bc we can escape the cold weather (yippee!) and it's a 12-16 hour drive to my parents place depending on which end of the state. Of course, my husband nor myself have ever lived outside of ma, so much research is needed! We would have to visit places first, and to boot, I'm quite picky (a huge downfall and try as I may it is not sonething I can overcome). Important factors include reasonable house prices that easily come with at least half an acre (looking to spend in the high 100k to low 200k range, but could be more flexible). I prefer cities with some life to them but that are SAFE with good school systems (I am a teacher), recreational areas for running/biking, etc. Ya know, the typical family dream. My husband is a software developer so it would have to be in a city or town where he could easily find a job.

Any suggestions that we could research further would be greatly appreciated =)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 01:36 PM

7,637 posts, read 10,307,888 times
Charlotte or Raleigh / Triangle area will have the best chances of employment IF there are positions. RDU--the tech center of NC has seen many jobs cut in the past 2-3 years...

best of luck in your decision.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:51 PM

884 posts, read 808,204 times
He needs to find a job first and have that narrow down where you're looking. What's the job market for his particular skillset? Do you know what's going on with NC schools?

Choosing a state to live in because it's warmer seems a bit random. There are LOTS of warm states. (And yes, it gets cold and it snows in NC - not to mention the opposite extreme of oppressively hot and humid summers with many 100+ degree days) Have you ever been to NC? Have you ever been during one of the weather extremes I'm describing? I ask because you were just recently posting questions about Saugus which is not very far from Western MA so I wonder if you've ever made the [much, much longer] drive to NC to check it out?

I hope that doesn't come across harsh, but moving away from family and away from a New England state you've lived in your whole life... well, it's a big deal. I've seen way too many people fail to find the happiness they think that another state is going to magically offer up. I think you'd be surprised the housing prices are not going to be much different from what you're seeing in Western MA. If you end up in the nicer part of a town like Cary or neighborhood like N Raleigh, which is where most northerners seem to gravitate in the Raleigh area, you're not going to see a huge difference in price.

I went to college in Boston and my husband is a native Mass-h***. For the record, the drive back to MA is a huge PITA, especially with small kids. I-95 all the way, unless you go west across NC and up I-81 (which is not a great idea in the winter). And given the alternative of letting woefully unskilled TSA workers grope my kid as a condition of flying, uh... I don't think so.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post

I hope that doesn't come across harsh, but moving away from family and away from a New England state you've lived in your whole life... well, it's a big deal. I've seen way too many people fail to find the happiness they think that another state is going to magically offer up. I think you'd be surprised the housing prices are not going to be much different from what you're seeing in Western MA. If you end up in the nicer part of a town like Cary or neighborhood like N Raleigh, which is where most northerners seem to gravitate in the Raleigh area, you're not going to see a huge difference in price.

I went to college in Boston and my husband is a native Mass-h***. For the record, the drive back to MA is a huge PITA, especially with small kids. I-95 all the way, unless you go west across NC and up I-81 (which is not a great idea in the winter). And given the alternative of letting woefully unskilled TSA workers grope my kid as a condition of flying, uh... I don't think so.
Well hypothetically, my husband could work at home remotely, and he is doing that 50% of the time now anyways. We currently live in western ma but he works near Boston, we used to live in Framingham ma. So the reason I was looking out near Saugus was so that he didn't have to drive 90 miles to work every week AND be gone for 1-2 nights a week (he stays with some friends out there) while I'm home tending to our 2 year old (god bless single mothers). The new baby on the way is a huge wake up call for me... I don't want double the "trouble" all by myself, but I am very strong willed and I know that I am capable, it just does not hurt to explore alternatives.

Why nc? Weather is nice, but not too hot (it gets brutal here in ma if u don't live near the water some folks forget that) and Also my husband and I are very intellectual and we don't want to go too far south, though I know that sounds very stereotypical and every state has it's bad eggs, and that there are educated hot zones scattered within each of those states, it would nice to just be in a place where friends could be easily made. And the further south you go, the further away from our families in ma we'd be. I looked out housing prices casually over the course of a week in Cary, Raleigh, and Durham... All much much more reasonable than what you pay here. Newer houses, bigger houses, more bank for your buck.

Have I ever been there? No. I would never move to a place that far away without research, Including a lengthy stay. We have drove to Sarasota fla from ma a few times, so northern nc to ma,though I'm sure a huge pita, could be worse. But thank you for the things to consider... This would not be a snap decision. We will move....the question is where?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 AM

14,232 posts, read 9,342,759 times
It is hot as Hades here in the Summer. And humid.
You can get a huge house in Chattanooga for very little compared to here in Cary (aka relocation central).

If you do move here, please don't overpay for your house. I love relos (am married to one), but I cannot help wondering if the great migration artificially inflated housing prices around here.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM

5,265 posts, read 10,416,929 times
You are about 10-15 years too late to find a house with .5 acre in the Triangle or Charlotte areas (the only areas that would fit your "well educated/good schools" criteria) anywhere near your price-range. Also I see that you are a teacher; pay is SIGNIFICANTLY lower for teachers in NC; some of the lowest in the country in fact.

NC is very nice but it's not for everyone. If you are very close to your family and have young kids; that makes the move 10x harder (we know, this was by far the biggest factor in our moving back north after living in NC).

The grass isn't necessarily always greener. I don't want to sound like a pessimist; so consider it an optimistic view of what you already have. It doesn't sound like you are miserable in MA, just that the winter weather gets to you. Maybe see if you can budget a family vacation to Florida or another warm/tropical locale sometime in later winter so relieve you from some of the built up winter blues?

Also, those "ridiculous housing prices" that you seem to not be thrilled with in Western MA are probably right on par with that you'd find in Raleigh or Charlotte...if not a little cheaper. 4 bedrooms for $240k? That's probably a bit lower than what you'd typically find in a Raleigh suburb like Cary, Apex or Wake Forest.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 PM

I'm sure the relos have something to do with the inflations! That is frustrating, for everyone. I'm informed, my house was built in 1900 and my daughter had high lead levels, old houses vs. New houses is a big diff in how much people pay for them! So the fact that we paid 240k for an old, lead infested, 4 berm ( 1 of which is in the attic and not being used... Creepy! ), costs-us-600-a-month-to-heat house for 240k should serve as an example of how much better the housing prices are out there! We own two homes, a rental prop near Boston and the one we currently live in in the west side of the state... We know a thing or 2 about ma home prices. Put the same 250k house from Raleigh in Boston ANd it's 500k easy. I've been searching trulia.com and finding houses much cheaper than 240 but I suppose I should broaden my horizons.

Meh_, thank you for the heads up about teaching! Do you know about nurses' salaries?

We sure do want to get away from the cold weather! Away from oil bills... It's 36 right now, we haven't had the heat turned on for a few wks now... Space heaters in some rooms. Freezing! Thank you all door the input... My parents have some friends building a house in nc so I'll have to visit them often and decide from there!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:23 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,274,925 times
i would be surprised if you could buy a house in that price range with a half acre or more in wake county. maybe... probably not though.

franklin/ johnston counties would be better in that aspect. but even then- the first house we bought - 12 years ago was 900 ish SF with .90 acre lot and was $91,500. same house today sells for around $140. a larger home would of course, be more. even out here.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 AM

3,224 posts, read 3,814,556 times
You can buy a house in your price range, and on over half an acre, any of the counties surrounding Wake. We bought a 4/2.5 house on 2 acres in late 2009 (for well under 200,000), and prices have not gone up since then. We even looked at one on about an acre in Wake County.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:42 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,455,737 times
Honestly, if you're looking for teaching or nursing and husband can technically telecommute .. why NC?

If all you're after is cheaper housing and warmer climate, only really need a good internet connection, you have plenty of choices. Even the southern parts of Ohio would fit this bill - it wouldn't be as cold, houses on land are cheap, and you're within a good drive of family. You can also meet these needs in TN and KY.

Teaching jobs are hard to come by in NC, and the overall unemployment is very high. The ongoing transplants the state is seeing is driving the cost of housing up, and the places around the big cities that have good schools are still in high demand. You can find a few good deals here and there, but you have to be ready to act on them when they hit the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina