Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
I BEG you! Get out of the left lane. If you are passing…fine. Otherwise, please! Get back to the right lane. This is the most idiotic, frustrating thing I have ever had to witness.

PS—It would not kill you to use a blinker every once in awhile, either.

Love,
me
While I agree with you, the people doing this are unlikely to even be computer literate and are not likely to be reading your words of wisdom and frustration, lol.

Take a chill pill, you'll live longer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 02:29 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,613,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually K, it is taught in most drivers ed courses that slower traffic is supposed to ride in the right lane. And that means even people doing the speed limit. This is an actual law.
I don't disagree that that's what we were taught (although I don't honestly remember that) but, again, I have yet to see any proof that it's against the law to do so, or that there's any inherent danger or risk.

From the Federal Highway Administration website:

Eisenhower Interstate Highway System -Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:
Is the left lane for higher speeds?
Although the left lanes of multi-lane freeways are widely viewed as the "high speed lanes" or "the fast lanes," the speed limit applies to all lanes on any given street or highway. The intent is that vehicles going slower than the posted speed limit should stay to the right.
From the NC DOT:

Quote:
Driving on Your Side of the Road
The law requires you to drive on the right side of the road. Driving on the left side is legal only in some cases, such as on one-way streets and while
passing. When you are moving slower than the posted speed limit on a multi-lane highway, drive in the extreme right lane unless you are
passing, turning left or avoiding an obstruction.
although it does go on to say:

Quote:
Keep to the right, use the left lane(s) for passing;

Old 04-01-2011, 03:47 PM

572 posts, read 1,604,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I don't disagree that that's what we were taught (although I don't honestly remember that) but, again, I have yet to see any proof that it's against the law to do so, or that there's any inherent danger or risk.

From the Federal Highway Administration website:

Eisenhower Interstate Highway System -Frequently Asked Questions

From the NC DOT:

although it does go on to say:
Hey Paper, I think I found the person that was blocking the left lane when you were driving through NC.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:31 PM

164 posts, read 356,363 times
I really do need to take a Chill Pill

I can't explain who nuts it makes me to see someone lingering in the left lane. I don't mind people driving under the speed limit. Just move it on over to the right. It's called common sense. Done passing? Get over!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:01 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,308,959 times
but what if I have my left turn signal on while I'm in the left lane

Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 PM

572 posts, read 1,604,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
but what if I have my left turn signal on while I'm in the left lane
We're talking about controlled access split median highways and Interstates where there is no slowing down to make a left hand turn so if you're riding in the left lane with your turn signal on you'd be doing two things you weren't supposed to be doing instead of just one.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I really do need to take a Chill Pill

I can't explain who nuts it makes me to see someone lingering in the left lane. I don't mind people driving under the speed limit. Just move it on over to the right. It's called common sense. Done passing? Get over!
Yep. I am SO with you on this one!

The ignorance on this issue in America in general is astounding.

You don't travel in the passing lane unless you are passing, OR if no one else is within a at least a mile of you.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:37 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,433,126 times
Quote:
I BEG you! Get out of the left lane. If you are passing…fine. Otherwise, please! Get back to the right lane. This is the most idiotic, frustrating thing I have ever had to witness.

PS—It would not kill you to use a blinker every once in awhile, either.

Love,
me
If they are going the speed limit or more (which I expect is that case), get over yourself, get off their bumper and chill. You are special, just like everyone else.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,433,126 times
Quote:
So it is a rule! OMG! I feel happy.

People of NC--PASS and get over It's the law.
Or you could return to someplace where you like the way people drive, but I doubt it exists, as you seem like you feel you are superior to everyone else on the road, the road was built specifically for your use.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If they are going the speed limit or more (which I expect is that case), get over yourself, get off their bumper and chill. You are special, just like everyone else.
Why do you think he needs to "get over himself"?

The guy is RIGHT.

Doing the speed limit DOES NOT entitle you to hog and block the passing lane

If people want to go faster than the speed limit that's between them and the state police, not you Joe Driver.

You, Joe Driver, are simply supposed to MOVE OVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina