U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,742,331 times
Talking What can I put on my North Carolina Themed Playlist?

I GOT AN OFFER ON MY HOUSE! I'm delirious. The market here is bad but I worked like a dog staging my home and sold it to some suckers from Illinois (where the weather is about as bad as it is here) who are coming to teach at our University. It was priced correctly and I just barely broke even. Whew!

So Now I have a CLOSING date and know how much money I have to work with in NC I am setting plans into motion that have been in the works for 2 years.

I am driving to NC on Saturday and when I cross the border my iPod is going to play:
Carolina in My Mind by James Taylor
Back, Back, Back to Carolina and Nothin' could be Finer than to be in Carolina in the Morning (My dad is a barbershopper)
and
Southland In the Springtime by the Indigo Girls.

Can anyone recommend any other songs for me to play about NC so that my children will be thoroughly annoyed with me by the time I get to Raleigh???? I want them to feel really grateful to be there when they get out of the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 2,873 times
"Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show

"I made it down the coast in seventeen hours
Pickin' me a bouquet of dogwood flowers
And I'm a-hopin' for Raleigh
I can see my baby tonight"

Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 AM

829 posts, read 730,524 times
Jo Dee Messina - "Heads Carolina, Tails California"
Death Cab for Cutie - "Carolina"
Brighten - "Carolina"
(actually there are lots of songs called "Carolina"!)
Pretty Girl from Raleigh - Avett Brothers, even though the song doesn't really mention Raleigh
Brandon D - "Da Kak Joint"
Sonic Youth - "Chapel Hill"
Petey Pablo - "Raise Up"
Bruce Piephoff - "Riding the Stream"
Shooter Jennings - "Gone to Carolina"
Townes Van Zandt - "Greensboro Woman"

and all these... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5092125AAhW5lb

Last edited by yellowbelle; 04-05-2011 at 10:22 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 AM

609 posts, read 440,254 times
I don't think you can go wrong with anything by Nina Simone or John Coltrane!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 AM

919 posts, read 1,086,250 times
Swimming Song by Loudon Wainwright pretty much sums up my summers here.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 AM

7,821 posts, read 10,084,659 times
You need some "NC Beach Music" by the Embers, the Tams, the Catalinas, etc! I think iTunes has some of their stuff now. At least get "I Love Beach Music" by the Embers.

PS: Also the UNC fight song!

Old 04-05-2011, 11:19 AM

240 posts, read 341,134 times
How about some Avett Brothers (from Concord, NC), Petey Pablo (from Knightdale), Kellie Pickler (Ablemarle, NC), Chris Daughtry (Greensboro, NC)?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:53 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,124,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I GOT AN OFFER ON MY HOUSE! I'm delirious. The market here is bad but I worked like a dog staging my home and sold it to some suckers from Illinois (where the weather is about as bad as it is here) who are coming to teach at our University. It was priced correctly and I just barely broke even. Whew!

So Now I have a CLOSING date and know how much money I have to work with in NC I am setting plans into motion that have been in the works for 2 years.

I am driving to NC on Saturday and when I cross the border my iPod is going to play:
Carolina in My Mind by James Taylor
Back, Back, Back to Carolina and Nothin' could be Finer than to be in Carolina in the Morning (My dad is a barbershopper)
and
Southland In the Springtime by the Indigo Girls.

Can anyone recommend any other songs for me to play about NC so that my children will be thoroughly annoyed with me by the time I get to Raleigh???? I want them to feel really grateful to be there when they get out of the car.
Wow, pretty harsh. Wouldn't let the buyers in on that sentiment! Also wouldn't want to jinx it before inspection!

Anyways; don't put that "Raise Up" song on any playlist you would let your kids (or your grandma) listen to!

The James Taylor song is really popular and for good reason. I've always been fond of that song even before ever living in NC.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:30 PM

7,821 posts, read 10,084,659 times
Oh, and of course some Clay Aiken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina