U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 04:24 PM

787 posts, read 2,474,214 times

Advertisements

I have no idea but I will look and see if I can get a grip on how Tick Bite got its name. I would imagine it either has to do with a Blue Tick hound or ticks being bad for bitting there but let me check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 05:08 PM

957 posts, read 3,146,293 times
There has to be some local lore about that. I knew it would take somebody on the ground there to ferret it out.
I know a guy who lived on Tick Bite. Funny thing, is that one of his daughters married a film maker here in NYC. She was back down there for a while a few years ago, working on a documentary on the disappearance of the small tobacco farmer.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:37 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,797,293 times
Fort Mill is good. Just arrived. No rain nor flooding we have seen so far.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Fort Mill is good. Just arrived. No rain nor flooding we have seen so far.

Great to hear. Have a good time down there and give my regards to the Ramanda Inn across the road from Carowinds that put us in an eighth floor room with a balcony with a wilder than bobcat 4 year old back in 1998. I mean we were peeling her off the walls before we got out of there with my sanity barely intact. LOL

Old 09-03-2006, 03:12 PM

110 posts, read 302,766 times
OK - so now that it's over, how bad was it? I am applying for a job in Lenoir County, and probably moving to somewhere like Greenville, Winterville, Grifton, Ayden. I have never been thru a hurricane. I'm in Oregon now where a thunderstorm makes the news. Is the terrain around Greenville all flat? I'm wondering if it's possible to buy on "high ground", or if high ground doesn't exist in that part of the state.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:37 PM

Robin, in all honesty from what I have seen has been spotty at best in terms of real damage. On a whole, this storm was a mere baby compared to Bertha and Fran that hit this same area in 1996 and Dennis, who struck us twice in a two week period during August of 1999 followed two weeks later by Floyd. But the rivers and creeks nearby in this area have not crested yet and they are calling for more rain this coming week. If that wasn't enough, there is another system out by the Antilles that is poised to become the next system with talk of it following Ernesto's path. I'll get more upset about that when it forms completely and starts moving this way. But you have to remember that hurricanes and tropical storms are like children. No two form or grow alike, they don't act alike and even two storms with similar paths and categories can do different types of damage. The best to pray for is that you don't get hit by a tornado off one of the little devils. Tropical Storm Kyle was nothing unless you lived on the road that my MIL lived on in Kenly, NC (Johnston County) and lost everything you owned from a tornado that just happened to hit that road. Even when Floyd nearly flooded the entire area that I live in (Greene County which borders Lenoir County) we personally were spared by some stroke of fate. 3/4 of the county and most counties in the east were not that lucky. The biggest destruction we personally have had is we lost the roof and fence during Fran. So if you ask me, I would tell you that Fran got us worse than any hurricane I have lived through and I have been here my entire 55 years of life. I was even born before Hurricane Hazel struck in 1954. I was only 3 but I remember the storm or rather the reactions of the adults around me. My best advice is if you are going to move down here to the area that you are intended to is listen to the locals that have been here for years many times. If they plan to evacate, you can believe they have a good reason for it because hardly anyone goes anywhere around here unless it is a just about forced action. Ask me next week after we have gotten the rain and the creeks and rivers have crested. Then I might can answer you. Oh and you can PM me if you like. I am in the area you are coming to and would be glad to assist you. Good luck and welcome to North Carolina. The land around here is at best about 200 feet above sea level. Snow Hill where I am is about 75 feet above sea level with it getting progessively higher the farther west you go. The highest point in Greene County is 138 feet above sea level and since Pitt County borders Greene County as well, I haven't seen that much high ground around any of the areas you have mentioned. There is an art to living about here. But you will learn to adapt once here.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
OK - so now that it's over, how bad was it? I am applying for a job in Lenoir County, and probably moving to somewhere like Greenville, Winterville, Grifton, Ayden. I have never been thru a hurricane. I'm in Oregon now where a thunderstorm makes the news. Is the terrain around Greenville all flat? I'm wondering if it's possible to buy on "high ground", or if high ground doesn't exist in that part of the state.
You can't even tell.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
Robin, in all honesty from what I have seen has been spotty at best in terms of real damage. On a whole, this storm was a mere baby compared to Bertha and Fran that hit this same area in 1996 and Dennis, who struck us twice in a two week period during August of 1999 followed two weeks later by Floyd. But the rivers and creeks nearby in this area have not crested yet and they are calling for more rain this coming week. If that wasn't enough, there is another system out by the Antilles that is poised to become the next system with talk of it following Ernesto's path. I'll get more upset about that when it forms completely and starts moving this way. But you have to remember that hurricanes and tropical storms are like children. No two form or grow alike, they don't act alike and even two storms with similar paths and categories can do different types of damage. The best to pray for is that you don't get hit by a tornado off one of the little devils. Tropical Storm Kyle was nothing unless you lived on the road that my MIL lived on in Kenly, NC (Johnston County) and lost everything you owned from a tornado that just happened to hit that road. Even when Floyd nearly flooded the entire area that I live in (Greene County which borders Lenoir County) we personally were spared by some stroke of fate. 3/4 of the county and most counties in the east were not that lucky. The biggest destruction we personally have had is we lost the roof and fence during Fran. So if you ask me, I would tell you that Fran got us worse than any hurricane I have lived through and I have been here my entire 55 years of life. I was even born before Hurricane Hazel struck in 1954. I was only 3 but I remember the storm or rather the reactions of the adults around me. My best advice is if you are going to move down here to the area that you are intended to is listen to the locals that have been here for years many times. If they plan to evacate, you can believe they have a good reason for it because hardly anyone goes anywhere around here unless it is a just about forced action. Ask me next week after we have gotten the rain and the creeks and rivers have crested. Then I might can answer you. Oh and you can PM me if you like. I am in the area you are coming to and would be glad to assist you. Good luck and welcome to North Carolina. The land around here is at best about 200 feet above sea level. Snow Hill where I am is about 75 feet above sea level with it getting progessively higher the farther west you go. The highest point in Greene County is 138 feet above sea level and since Pitt County borders Greene County as well, I haven't seen that much high ground around any of the areas you have mentioned. There is an art to living about here. But you will learn to adapt once here.
Where we are in Fort Mill I see no sign of any hurricane. Not sure of our sea level though

Old 09-03-2006, 10:40 PM

957 posts, read 3,146,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
That's why they are called, "Flatlanders" it is flat as a pool table.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:59 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,227,258 times
Highest elevation for each one of NC's 100 counties.

http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/c...gh_points.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina