Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 04:57 AM

7 posts, read 25,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Looks like it will hit close to home on Friday? Well that sucks! We are flying there on Friday....sigh!
http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atl...th_large.html#
I hope your flight isn't delayed i an suppose to drvie fr md to wilmington and i am not the best beltway driver. but I may delay and go next wk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 05:58 AM

180 posts, read 732,283 times
Is everyone on this board ok, I haven't seen too many posts....

Old 09-01-2006, 06:03 AM

787 posts, read 3,575,044 times
Well, it is nearly 7 AM it appears we have had the best of it. There are still a few small showers left but they should be out of here by 11ish if not sooner. We have no roof damage that I can tell from the inside at least. By that I mean weren't putting up pots and pans to catch the rain water with and there are no shingles on the ground. I have every pine tree I went to bed with last night. (While Chris is systemically taking these out and replacing them with maples and other type trees, he isn't working fast enough to suit me. I figured maybe a tropical storm or hurricane would force him into high gear). It couldn't have been too bad though. And I say that because after telling all you what to get up and move, I left this porcelain wind chime that has a guardian angel on it crossing the bridge and the several little things on the chimes of the two children. It isn't even chipped. And it stayed out all night. Usually I take that in first thing but I was sick yesterday and once back from the doctor's office, I didn't do a lot. According to the Weather Channel, Wilmington had one wind gust that was measured at just barely hurricane strength. Also the 5 AM adivsory put the eye almost directly on top of where I live at 5 AM. The Longtitude was dead on and the latitude was slightly to the east.
So I don't think there will be any horror stories at least not right here unless, and I use the term here because of the rainfall, that when the creeks and rivers start cresting we have flooding like we did with Floyd. And God help us all if that happens. While Floyd didn't directly affect me, nearly everyone I knew lost at least 1/2 and most all of everything they had. So I lived out the FEMA nighmare through them and I know it is something I don't want to have to do. The peak of the season is September 10th. Historically that means that most of what is going to form will have already done it. But I don't think this is going to be the case this year. And we have already had Alberto, Beryl, and now Ernesto. While the former two did less than Ernesto did, that puts us as the bull's eye for this year or so it would seem. The last time that happened was in 1996 when got hit twice by Bertha and Fran. The fun didn't stop there. In 1998 we got Bonnie and in 1999, we got Dennis first as a hurricane and then two weeks later as a tropical storm and finally Floyd came in the middle of September and nearly drowned us all. I was going to take some pictures but I am sure most of you have seem worse thunderstorms than this one was. Just remember hurricanes are like children. No two are alike, given the same set of circumstances they probably will behave differently and you can never predict how, what or when they are going to act up.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:00 AM

954 posts, read 4,367,621 times
BethanyTedder

I have a good friend in Ayden, Bobby Tripp, who has a tree triming/lawn care business. With Ernesto, he is seeing dollar signs right now!

Old 09-01-2006, 08:55 AM

I saw one huge tree down between Harper and Sixth Street. But that was the only huge tree I saw down. Wonder what it is like in the other small towns around here. I went to the post office and about the time I walked out a power line fell and the whole town lost power for nearly an hour. I was going to the bank at the time and all I could see was the Town of Snow Hill truck sitting sideways in the middle of the bridge and being me I just knew it was Chris. Well, I was half right, he was there. But no one got hurt. But tell you what, the EMT that was trying to get around me at the stop light to get to the scene is an accident waiting to happen. He was right on top on me before he even blared the siren and of course it startled me to the point I was trying to figure out which way to let him go around me. He finally got there but from what I have been told it just fell and no one was hurt. It just shook up the people on the bridge at the time.

I think by the weekend we may have some flooding problems. The nurse from my doctor's office called this morning from Farmville some 11 miles to the northeast of us and she said the ride was not that great. A lot of water on the roads. Same report from another Pitt County town that my DIL works in called Ayden. Oh that is right you said your friend lives in Ayden. Wonder what he has to say about the flooding. But I know with Floyd the storm itself was nothing to write home about. It was the flooding that nearly drowned all of us.

Last edited by Bethanytedder; 09-01-2006 at 09:07 AM..

Old 09-01-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The highest point in Greene County is only 138 feet above sea level.
You did your homework. It is indeed only 138 feet at the highest point which ironically is not where I actually live. It is something like 75 feet above sea level in Snow Hill. The area that they are talking about being the highest is on the northwest end of the county. I can't recall if that specific road flooded during Floyd or not but I know really close to it did. We came within 1/2 mile of flooding during Floyd. I would drive Chris to the stoplight and he hitched a row boat that he waded out to the rest of the way. If that happens this time, I will get pictures to let you post. Unless you have actually seen something like this or any other natural disaster, it is hard to believe. Tropical Storm Kyle probably is nothing more than a mere mention now. Not unless you lived on Bunn Rd in Kenly when it spawned a tornado and took out nearly house on the 3/4 mile road. MIL was lucky to be able to fix the damage she had. But I saw it take an oak tree that was massive and snap it off about 10 feet from the ground like it was a tooth pick.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:08 AM

Bethany

Ever figure out how snow hill got its name?

I mean, there is hardly ever any snow, and there certainly ain't much of a hill.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:36 PM

336 posts, read 509,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
Bethany

Ever figure out how snow hill got its name?

I mean, there is hardly ever any snow, and there certainly ain't much of a hill.
I found this on the subject.

Quote:
Contentnea Creek on whose banks Native Americans camped and called them "snowy white" which was translated into "snowy hills"; hence the popular name of Snow Hill.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
I found this on the subject.
That is a different town in Sampson County. Snow Hill got it name from the Indians that lived here. Apparently the small hills that we have were covered in white sand that resembled snow so they called it the Hills of Snow. That got converted to Snow Hill when the town was incorporated in 1799. My bad. You have the right town. There is a Snow Camp in Sampson county that got its name from the soldiers having to camp out in the snow during the Revolationary War I believe it was. That is how Snow Camp got it name.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:57 PM

Since Contentnea Creek was mentioned, anyone know how Tick Bite got its name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina