Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, I've got to disagree with you about costs of houses - Raleigh has long had higher housing prices than Charlotte

Median home price in Raleigh - $240,000
Median home price in Charlotte - $169,000

RALEIGH, NC Real Estate Market Report for April 10 2011

CHARLOTTE, NC Real Estate Market Report for April 10 2011

I used the cost of rentiing, not owning. I used the government basic allowance for housing rates. Rates are based off of current market rent, average utilities and renters insurance. On average, depending on the type of residence, Charlotte is around $100-$200 more expensive overall in the rental market.

BAH Calculator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 07:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I used the cost of rentiing, not owning. I used the government basic allowance for housing rates. Rates are based off of current market rent, average utilities and renters insurance. On average, depending on the type of residence, Charlotte is around $100-$200 more expensive overall in the rental market.

BAH Calculator
Well, since the OP was talking about paying property taxes I assumed he is interested in buying a home, not renting

Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Home Data Index Reports U.S. Home Prices in the West Hitting 10-Year Lows - World Property Channel Global News Center

Metro Markets (March 2010 - April 2011)

Charlotte - Gastonia - Concord is #11 "Highest Performing Major Markets"

Raleigh - Cary is #3 "Lowest Performing Major Markets"

Old 05-21-2011, 03:07 PM

19 posts, read 184,391 times
Thanks for the advice. For now, we have decided that we're shooting for Jacksonville, due to the opportunity to live close to family there.
I was used to earning $38 an hour when I worked in the hospital (multiply this by time and a half for over-time and bank holidays). Now I get $45-$50 per regular visit in home health (non-medicare / medicare patients). More for admissions, recerts and discharges.
I cannot even comprehend $8-11 an hour? Maybe I neglected to mention that I am a RN?
Well macjr82, I sure hope they pay better than what you're suggesting?

Old 05-22-2011, 04:51 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,771 times
You really need to do some research on jobs and wages in NC. You may be in for a rude awakening. Even as an RN.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Home Data Index Reports U.S. Home Prices in the West Hitting 10-Year Lows - World Property Channel Global News Center

Metro Markets (March 2010 - April 2011)

Charlotte - Gastonia - Concord is #11 "Highest Performing Major Markets"

Raleigh - Cary is #3 "Lowest Performing Major Markets"

Wouldn't it be better to buy a home in a market that is lower performing now? Raleigh came late to the housing crash and will probably recover more quickly than most cities because of its lower unemployment rate and future prospects. That said, I agree that Charlotte is less expensive than Raleigh but, to be blunt, you get what you pay for. Wake's public schools are better. The crime is lower. The unemployment rates are lower. These are the real factors that most people consider when investing in a home.

In the following link, Raleigh is the highest priced market in Forbes' list of where to buy homes now.

The Best Places to Buy a Home Right Now - Yahoo! Real Estate

Old 05-22-2011, 09:55 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
As a general rule, "most amenities" and "most affordable" are in polar opposition--ever hear of supply and demand? EVERYBODY wants to live somewhere that is close to everything, has the best schools, no crime and is the most affordable. Good luck finding THAT--since affordability is directly based on how many people want to live somewhere. If somewhere is cheap, there's usually a reason why, and if somewhere has everything you're looking for, generally it will be more expensive.

Jacksonville, frankly, is considered one of the least-desirable places in NC to live which is why it's cheap. I've heard it called the armpit (or another body part that starts with "A") of NC. Have you lived in a military town before?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinM View Post
We want to avoid high property taxes and have a more affordable cost of living, around the US norm. I guess we are also used to a diverse range of shopping and other amenities that bigger cities have. We currently live in north-east central Phoenix, AZ. 1950's brick built ranch, 1800 sq ft, 4 bed, 2 bath - very nice neighborhood. Sidewalks and street lighting, everything within a mile of the house. 5 miles from downtown Phoenix or downtown Scottsdale. We would like to find similar in NC.
Also, the further north in NC - is the weather colder in winter, more cloudy days, etc?
I'd be grateful for feedback. Thank you.
You're probably better off staying where you are unless you have some big reason you want to be in NC. The property taxes and the cost of living might be lower, but as you've discovered, so are the wages.

Weather: NC weather varies more from east to west than from north to south. The western part is in the mountains, and with the elevation you have less heat and humidity. The piedmont and the coast are hotter, more humid, and have a higher possibility of damage from hurricanes. They also seem to get more tornadoes.

You asked specifically about winter, but if you haven't experienced summer humidity, you need to visit during the summer before you decide. The temperatures are not as high as what you have in Arizona, but it's different - and for some people, much worse.

Winter doesn't bring much snow except in the mountain region. The western part of the piedmont gets a few snows that stick around, but the eastern piedmont rarely gets enough to build a snowman. You asked about cloudy days - are those good or bad?

Old 02-24-2014, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 20,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinM View Post
We are considering a move to NC and looking at Raleigh, Charlotte, Jacksonville and many other locations. I have a cousin in Richlands near Jacksonville. I believe it is very nice there from what he says. Although it sounds tempting, we would probably opt to live near a big city for jobs etc. We want to avoid high property taxes and have a more affordable cost of living, around the US norm. I guess we are also used to a diverse range of shopping and other amenities that bigger cities have. We currently live in north-east central Phoenix, AZ. 1950's brick built ranch, 1800 sq ft, 4 bed, 2 bath - very nice neighborhood. Sidewalks and street lighting, everything within a mile of the house. 5 miles from downtown Phoenix or downtown Scottsdale. We would like to find similar in NC.
Also, the further north in NC - is the weather colder in winter, more cloudy days, etc?
I'd be grateful for feedback. Thank you.
Being a native of North Carolina and born and raised in Raleigh, believe me when I say that Charlotte has it all. Jacksonville is not that desirable of a city despite it's low cost of living. Charlotte is cheaper to live in compared to Raleigh depending on what part of the city you live in and though I am not a supporter of the sports teams of Charlotte, they do have the Panthers and the Bob Cats and Nascar and a nice amusement park and a thriving downtown night life.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,907 times
Talking Moving to Northern Section of North Carolina ?

Hay everyone. I am a White male seeking info on the Most safe, Most affordable section of Northern Section of NC to Move to. I just need a list of towns to check out before I would make a move with My Wife. We are not high income people but we are not poor either. Are rage at this time we can afford would be between the rates of $400 to $540 Per month but not dumps either are place that are full of bugs. Does anyone know of which towns fit this range of prices and that are safe. I know this is a tall order in any state these days but I must try. Thanks. David & Joann
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina