U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:02 AM

21 posts, read 55,506 times
Default Do NC Get Tornado"s Regularly

I was thinking of moving to NC but now a little nervous after hearing about the Tornado that just happen. Do NC have tornado's often? When was the last tornado before this once? Does anyone know? Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 AM

3,271 posts, read 864,590 times
Isolated tornadoes occur with severe storms but not as much as elsewhere in the country. The mountains break up storms coming from the Midwest. Ice, hail, and hurricanes are more common and cause more destruction.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:17 AM

Default Hurricanes

So NC get hurricanes alot? Is there a certain time of the year for hurricanes and tornado's? If so when? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Isolated tornadoes occur with severe storms but not as much as elsewhere in the country. The mountains break up storms coming from the Midwest. Ice, hail, and hurricanes are more common and cause more destruction.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:17 AM

847 posts, read 426,548 times
NC generally averages about 12-15 a year mainly south and east of the mountains. However this past weekend we had 62 which is VERY rare event. Here is a little more info and you might even contact a NC TV station and ask their weather staff. April and May are the peak months for tornadoes.:

Tornadoes | State Climate Office of North Carolina

Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 AM

Default Thanks.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
NC generally averages about 12-15 a year mainly south and east of the mountains. However this past weekend we had 62 which is VERY rare event. Here is a little more info and you might even contact a NC TV station and ask their weather staff. April and May are the peak months for tornadoes.:

Old 04-19-2011, 08:23 AM

Default Tornado's

So would that be the Charlotte/Greensboro area? I am not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post

Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 AM

72 posts, read 86,098 times
I have lived around Charlotte for 30 years and have never seen a tornado. They are not that common in NC and when they do happen, they are usually nothing on the magnitude or the intensity of tornadoes in the Midwest.

This past weekend was a once-in-a-lifetime outbreak. Or a once-in-50-years at the very minimum. All of the tornadoes that broke out last week were mostly around Raleigh and the Eastern part of the state, but there is nowhere in the state that is particularly prone to tornadoes. They are extrememly rare in the mountains.

That map does show the Eastern part of NC (which includes Raleigh and the counties East to the Coast), do have more reported tornadoes than the Western part, but even so I don't think it something to be worried about.

If I were moving to NC, the only thing I would be worried about is having a job

Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 AM

5,645 posts, read 5,244,363 times
We do not get tornadoes over here in the mountains. We don't allow them. It's too pretty here. But we do get rain and lots of green lush property.

And it is very rare indeed in the rest of the state which we call "the flatlands".

NC is a huge state from east to west. Check this website if you're Carolina dreamin' :

www.carolinaliving.com

Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 AM

7,939 posts, read 10,293,474 times
Hurricane season is technically June to November, but overwhelmingly Mid-September to about the first week in October is the "bull's eye" for hurricanes. Tornadoes generally happen in the spring or fall when the weather patterns are changing. The last tornado to hit Raleigh and cause major damage was in November of 1988 so no, they are not a "regular" event, but also not unheard-of, either. Many small tornadoes are spotted almost every year, just usually in rural unpopulated areas, so it doesn't make the news. Geographically, most of NC is rural.

What part of NC were you specifically looking at?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
PDD

5,861 posts, read 5,789,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryhappy View Post
I was thinking of moving to NC but now a little nervous after hearing about the Tornado that just happen. Do NC have tornado's often? When was the last tornado before this once? Does anyone know? Thanks for any information.
Well I certainly hope not.
Tornado's to the North of me.
Tornado's to the South of me.

Here I am Stuck in the middle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina