U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2011, 01:29 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,738,124 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm having some major issues with a billing company and a collection agency for medical bills. Sorry this is long winded, but I needed to get it all out.

So I got really sick in Dec 2009 when I was living in Asheville, NC (thus NC insurance laws) and went to the DR. several times. My insurance changed from being a company sponsored plan to being a cobra plan starting in 2010. For whatever reason, my doctor kept screwing up how the claims were processed (due to the different plan, dr not sending requested info, etc) and I kept getting bills with different amounts and such. Each time I called both the insurance and dr office and was told they would look into it and resubmit it. Let me also include the fact that my doctor uses a billing company to process the claims and couldn't even tell me any information about my bill, so I had to start going through this company.

Then in Late nov 2010, I get a nasty letter from a collection agency. I was never even warned my account was going into collections and I thought it was finally taken care of because I wasn't getting anymore bills. So I call them up and my insurance. The collection agency tells me if its paid within 30 days it wont touch my credit. My insurance FINALLY got their act together and the latest a claim was paid was dec 15 2010. I have the documents to prove it. I thought all was sorted out and well.

Then in January I got a call from the collection agency. And they are telling me it wasn't paid etc. I had a feeling they touched my credit, and sure enough when I pulled a report up they did. What pissed me off though was that they didn't touch it until January, almost a month after the last bill was paid. So I call the billing company up and they say it was paid and all should be right in the word and since I had been trying to work with them and was paid before their set deadline it would be taken off my credit and I'd get a letter saying such.

Come February, the collection agency calls start again. Same crap, I call the billing company, am told its taken care of and they sent notification to the collection agency. March, same routine again. Finally its April and the same crap is still going on.

I don't know what to do at this point. I feel like I have no power and I'm sick of being harassed for something like this. My parents suggested contacting the attorney general. But I wasn't sure if that was the right place to go. Once this is sorted out I will be putting in a complaint with them on the fact that I was never told that my account was at risk of going into collections, and there's nothing on any of my bills that even state that if it isn't paid in X time it could risk going to collections.

SOOO. If anyone has any advice or suggestions they could offer me to get this straightened out, I'd really appreciate it, I also appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 04-22-2011 at 01:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 07:18 AM

3,200 posts, read 6,056,607 times
Yep, contact the Attorney General. They have a special division for this.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:26 AM

2,738 posts, read 3,540,866 times
You need to find out what the bill is actually for. When you go to the doctor, its never "just one bill" -- there is a bill for every entity that you deal with at that appointment.

For example, the doctor is a part of (insert physician's association name), the facility is a part of (insert facility name), the lab tech is a part of (insert lab association) and the lab results were processed by (insert lab facility name) and so on.

The collection agency, by law, has to supply to you proof of a bill being owed. You need to get a copy of that. That will show you who is billing you and for what. Then, you need to compare this information to your records of what has been paid -- do the creditor names match? do the account numbers match? do the dates of service match? do the dollar amounts match?

If everything matches, then dispute the bill with the credit bureau and submit proof that that specific bill has been paid to the collection agency.

If you can't prove with your own records that this bill was paid, then you need to get it submitted back to the insurance company for payment to get processed.

Yes -- you are legally obligated to do all this leg work if you want this to get resolved. The medical biller that works with the doctor you saw gets everything submitted as a courtesy to patients (lets face it .. if they didn't have in house billing to submit to insurance and had to rely on patients to get things submitted, how many people would remember to get it to the insurance company?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina