Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:04 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times

Advertisements

1) What about my CA registration - it's paid through April. Is that money just gone?

2) How can I show proof of title if the car is under lien?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 05:49 AM

85 posts, read 322,810 times
Yeah, unfortunately your registration has to be paid again here. And they also do the highway tax, tag fees, registration fees ... I ended up with about $230 that I had to pay for one car. Have to do 3 other vehicles on Friday so that will be fun.

If you have a car loan you need the info about who holds the loan ...

Old 08-03-2007, 04:49 PM

233 posts, read 860,302 times
I moved here 10 years ago, and I recall when I finally did get my license and plates transferred (5 years ago...because I just kept everything registered at my moms MA address - insurance was less $$ and the automatic registration renewal was great too) I recall having to have proof of insurance before I could get my license. Which, coming from MA didn't and still doesn't make any sense to me. Insurance is on my vehicle, but down here it's wierd. My MIL even works for DMN on New Bern Ave in Raleigh for the last 20 years, and she still can't make me understand the "why".

Old 08-03-2007, 04:55 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
The only good part about car ownership in NC is lower insurance, and that's going to change as more people crowd in. More cars on the roads = more accidents.

Enjoy it while you can.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:11 PM

48 posts, read 184,265 times
i went this week to do the car thing at the Northgate Mall in Durham and I had to have the:
1. original title
2. odometer reading
3. my NYC drivers liscence
4. proof of residence like utility bill
5. proof of insurance

that was all had to pay 230$ and they only accept cash or cheques

Then i went off to get my liscence changed.They gave me the directions.
I had to do the test all over again

Old 08-04-2007, 01:03 PM

492 posts, read 2,107,487 times
I did this all in Cary yesterday.

NOTE: The DMV accepts CASH or NC checks PRINTED with your address.

DRIVERS LICENSE: (took 3 hours, 2 hours standing in line. Could have gotten an appointment at the end of August if I preferred). Required documents:
a) out of state DL
b) original Social Security card
c) proof of address (I took my electric bill)
d) proof of insurance

The test consists vision, roadsigns and then the "written" test on the computer (must get 20/25 right).

Paid $32 CASH .

VEHICLE REGISTRATION
: Took an hour. Required documents:
a) NC DL
b) title
c) proof of insurance
Also, know the mileage of your vehicle -- they will ask that.

Paid $230 for registration, title and use tax for a 2001 Explorer with 127,000 miles! Also had to pay $5 cash for notary services. I will receive the personal property tax bill in about three months.

INSPECTION. Did this after registering my car. Used Mechanic Tire, and didn't need an appointment. Took about 45 minutes, and cost $30. They even put the new plate on for me, as I had not done that yet.

HOWEVER, since I did the inspection on the same day as registration, it turned out that the DMV data base was not yet updated, so they could not find my car to input the inspection info. I have my inspection receipt/certificate (and my windshield sticker!) and have to call DMV on Monday to get them to enter the data.

ADVICE: wait a day or two after registering your vehicle to have the inspection done.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:22 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Reciprocal laws may or may not keep your inspection sticker from your old state good in NC until they expire. So having to wait may not be a problem.

At least it can work the other way. My NC inspection is good in Texas until December.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:23 PM

143 posts, read 708,532 times
Do they require a SS card or can you use a passport instead? Thanks!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:28 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj873 View Post
Do they require a SS card or can you use a passport instead? Thanks!
The DMV requires proof of your full name and your social security number (SSN). To prove your name and age, you may present a valid or expired North Carolina Driver License, Learner's Permit or Identification Card. If you do not have any of these, you must present two documents from the following list. The name must be the same on both documents and at least one must reflect the date of birth. The documents cannot come from the same category (e.g. two school documents)

Driver License or State-Issued Identification Card from another state, Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory, or a Canadian province

Certified birth certificate issued by a government agency in the U.S., Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory, or Canada or U.S. Report of Consular Birth Abroad

Original Social Security Card (not the metal or plastic card or laminated card or other reproductions);

Official North Carolina School Registration records signed by a school official and Diplomas or GED issued by North Carolina schools, including secondary schools, community colleges, colleges and universities

Unexpired U.S. Military Identification, including DD-2, DD-214, Common Access Card, and U.S. Military Dependents Card

Valid, unexpired Passport from any nation

FORM OF ID ACCEPTED EXPLANATION

A valid, unexpired license/ID card or learner's permit with a photo meets the requirements for 1 form of ID

A driver license, learner's permit or ID card with photo which has been expired less than one year may be used as one form of identification

A valid unexpired driver license, learner's permit or ID card without a photo can be used as one form of identification. No photocopies allowed, unless certified by issuing agency. May not be laminated. Driver Education Certificates, Driving
Eligibility Certificates and report cards are not accepted as proof of identification. They are acceptable for proof of residency.

If from nation other than United States, the passport must include an unexpired INS stamp, such as the I-94 or I-551.

A passport with a valid INS or BIS stamp counts as 2 documents, since the passport is issued by the country of origin and the immigration stamp is issued by the U.S.

Certified marriage certificate from a Register of Deeds or appropriate government agency in the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories or Canada.

Limited Driving Privilege issued by North Carolina

Valid, unexpired documents issued by the U.S. Bureau of Immigration Services (BIS) formerly known as Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS)

Court documents from U.S. jurisdiction, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories or Canada

U.S. Veterans Universal Access Card Cannot be expired more than 1 year

An expired immigration document may be valid if accompanied by a letter from US BIS or INS extending the expiration date (e.g. I-797) Primary BIS or INS document must have applicant's photo

Divorce Decree

Court order for change of name or gender

Adoption Papers

Certified Court order for child support

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles

Last edited by mm34b; 08-04-2007 at 01:38 PM..

Old 08-04-2007, 04:32 PM

233 posts, read 860,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The only good part about car ownership in NC is lower insurance, and that's going to change as more people crowd in. More cars on the roads = more accidents.

Enjoy it while you can.

My insurance was actually less in Massachusetts with the "good driver" step credits that I had accumulated. That was one of the biggest reasons I waited until after I got married to change everything over to NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina