Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:38 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times

Advertisements

What are the steps I must take to legally and successfully relocate to NC?

Both with regard to car registration and Drivers License - (Coming from CA)

What are the timeframes for each?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 06:56 PM

27 posts, read 140,099 times
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: How do I title & register a vehicle?

"How do I title & register a vehicle?"

"In the case of new residents, you must register your motor vehicle at the expiration of the time granted by reciprocity agreement between North Carolina and your prior state of residence (usually 30 days) or when gainful employment is accepted, whichever occurs first. "

Old 07-31-2007, 06:59 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
DMV Newcomers Guide

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/newComersGuide/download/newcomers.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 PM

560 posts, read 2,848,734 times
New rule: you will need your DL first before you can register the car.

Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-18-2008 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-31-2007, 07:41 PM

85 posts, read 322,810 times
Default I just registered my car this week ...

OK, so I just went through this this week. I just moved from Boston and had to register my car. A few things:

I didn't need my NC driver's license. She did say it would have been 'easier' if I had my license, but that I had 30 days to get it. I guess once I get my new license the registration will need to be reissued with the new license number. But I'm not sure.

When they say you need "proof of title" they mean the actual title. Not a copy. Somehow I didn't equate titles being state-specific (duh), so it makes sense they need the actual title.

They have a quick turnaround in getting you the new title - I got mine in the mail today (7 days later).

Once you register, you have (I think) 10 days to get it inspected. Don't go driving around looking for gas stations that do inspections - you won't find them! Go to oil change places like Jiffy Lube. Inspection fees are NOT mandated by the state (they give ranges of prices) so shop around if you have things like tinted windows because it's up to the individual shop to set their price.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:34 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Some independent mechanics and most car dealers do inspections.

I use eastgate Shell on Wake Forest Road in Raleigh. Very good work and no phony inspection issues.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyrider View Post
I didn't need my NC driver's license. She did say it would have been 'easier' if I had my license, but that I had 30 days to get it. I guess once I get my new license the registration will need to be reissued with the new license number. But I'm not sure.
Must have gotten lucky and got someone in a good mood I was told you must have your DL to register a vehicle after 7/1/07.

From the NC DMV Website (http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/howToRegister.html): (broken link)

"To apply for your vehicle title and registration you will need to obtain your North Carolina Driver's License."

Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmeca11 View Post
Must have gotten lucky and got someone in a good mood I was told you must have your DL to register a vehicle after 7/1/07.

From the NC DMV Website (http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/howToRegister.html): (broken link)

"To apply for your vehicle title and registration you will need to obtain your North Carolina Driver's License."
I wonder what will happen to non-driving folks who buy motor vehicles for use by others but still maintain ownership?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:49 AM

72 posts, read 410,735 times
We also just completed the whole "auto process" this week. We were also told and followed :
1) NC driver liscense
2) NC registration
3) NC auto inspection
It went very easy for us but we did our business in Wendell/Zebulon/Knightdale, a little less crowded.
The main thing is to have all the necessary paperwork!!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I wonder what will happen to non-driving folks who buy motor vehicles for use by others but still maintain ownership?
Will probably accept non-driver state ID in lieu of DL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina