Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:31 PM

562 posts, read 988,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I used to live in the suburbs of Chicago... the humidity here is about the same... it's hotter here in summer, though.

Just fyi.
Oh well then it might be similar to what I grew up in then. In which case its probably not that bad. I thought Georgia was bad but that was true Csa-class subtropical climate. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Oh well then it might be similar to what I grew up in then. In which case its probably not that bad. I thought Georgia was bad but that was true Csa-class subtropical climate. Thanks
NC is going to have a cfa class climate... humid subtropical. csa is much drier.

NC's climate changes rather drastically from bald head island to cullhowhee. I figure that your field would probably bring you to the Raleigh area, ought to be similar to the Atlanta climate, maybe a few degrees cooler, with more influence from the jetstream. nothing like South Georgia, if thats where you're from.

"Bible Belt" is a misused term. Not everywhere in the south is the bible belt. It is a demographic swath of protestant evangelicals and southern baptists that starts in the hills of Virginia, goes across the hills of NC, SC, GA, AL, TN, MS, all the way into Oklahoma. East of Charlotte, east of Raleigh, is not really the bible belt. It may be more religious than what you are used to, though.

Last edited by le roi; 05-03-2011 at 02:07 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:

I dunno which classes are worse, but it looks like le roi does.

All I know is that I had times in Aurora where it felt like I was drinking the air I tried to breathe... in July, mostly. Same as here.

That's why the God/Goddess/Easter Bunny invented air conditioning, I say!

You'll be fine here. Winters are so mild, they really do make up for the summers.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM

562 posts, read 988,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
NC is going to have a cfa class climate... humid subtropical. csa is much drier.

NC's climate changes rather drastically from bald head island to cullhowhee. I figure that your field would probably bring you to the Raleigh area, ought to be similar to the Atlanta climate, maybe a few degrees cooler, with more influence from the jetstream. nothing like South Georgia, if thats where you're from.
Oh wow had a brain fart, meant to type Cfa...maybe because Csa wouldn't be too bad in my book. :P

Quote:
"Bible Belt" is a misused term. Not everywhere in the south is the bible belt. It is a demographic swath of protestant evangelicals and southern baptists that starts in the hills of Virginia, goes across the hills of NC, SC, GA, AL, TN, MS, all the way into Oklahoma. East of Charlotte, east of Raleigh, is not really the bible belt. It may be more religious than what you are used to, though.
So it is simply contained to specific areas? I made the broad generalization that it spanned most of the South, its nice to be wrong. I mean, I really don't care if lots of people happen to be religious...good on them, I just don't want it to impede my social network or opportunities in any way.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
It's more of a rural thing than an urban (or even suburban) thing.

The Bible Belt, I mean.

I've got a good friend here I've known for years that teaches drag classes in Raleigh.

Hardly oppressive around here, trust me.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:11 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Oh wow had a brain fart, meant to type Cfa...maybe because Csa wouldn't be too bad in my book. :P
i meant to say gulf stream, not jetstream, btw.

Quote:
So it is simply contained to specific areas? I made the broad generalization that it spanned most of the South, its nice to be wrong. I mean, I really don't care if lots of people happen to be religious...good on them, I just don't want it to impede my social network or opportunities in any way.
Contained is not the right word.

religious adherence is most common in the interior, rural south. Places like Charlotte and Raleigh could be considered the border of what constitutes coastal and interior.

This was true in 1950, prior to the waves of urban, northern retirees headed south; prior to the research triangle, or the Bank of America/Nationsbank merger. Today North Carolina is pretty secular, especially in the cities. Still, that is going to be a matter of opinion for anyone. You just have to see for yourself.

Last edited by le roi; 05-04-2011 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 11:10 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
ANY broad generalization that encompasses an entire region is going to be wrong. Why are you looking to move somewhere you had such an impression about?

NC is not "Bible Belt"-y at all in the urban and suburban areas (individuals excepted, as in any place). It's more rural areas you might find that, but even then, most are live and let live, but with strong religious convictions.

How were you imagining other people's religions to "impede your social network or opportunities"?

Old 05-06-2011, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 912 times
[quote=Zoness;18964717]

How is the job industry performing especially in Software Engineering, IT, Telecommunications and Computer Security...or any general computer field? By extension, what cities are best for these sorts of jobs?

[quote]

The RTP area is pretty good. There actually some high end software shops there. I thikn the company who makes Gears of war is there. Also, Cisco has a campus at RTP. There is more but that all that i can think of for nnow. If you want something closer to the coast then greenville is not a bad choice. They have several large companies (along with a university and a CC) that required of a lot of IT skill. plus if you like football its a college town! ECU PIRATES! you can get a more local scoop at http://www.greenvillenow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina