Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
BEST. POST. EVER!

(and I'm not even Southern!)

Sorry LM...I couldn't rep you...have to spread the love but I'd have given you a handful just for that!
I repped her for ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,375 times
Actually, holding a door is mandatory, it doesn't matter if the person is younger, older, able bodied or feeble.
It is also mandatory to say yes ma'am, no sir, thank you and please.
It is mandatory to offer sweet tea to any one (from the preacher to the a/c repairman as well as salesmen) who approach your front door.
It is is also mandatory to cut your neighbor's grass if they are laid up.
It is mandatory to go out after a storm and help cut trees and pull people out of the ditch.
It is mandatory to pull over to let a funeral procession to pass (doesn't matter what side of the road you are on).
It is mandatory to say all babies look cute.
Failure to follow any of these mandatory rules will result in an evil look from your gramma and a pinch from your momma and a swat from your daddy.

I'm sorry you are offended by our customs, bless your heart.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Actually, holding a door is mandatory, it doesn't matter if the person is younger, older, able bodied or feeble.
It is also mandatory to say yes ma'am, no sir, thank you and please.
It is mandatory to offer sweet tea to any one (from the preacher to the a/c repairman as well as salesmen) who approach your front door.
It is is also mandatory to cut your neighbor's grass if they are laid up.
It is mandatory to go out after a storm and help cut trees and pull people out of the ditch.
It is mandatory to pull over to let a funeral procession to pass (doesn't matter what side of the road you are on).
It is mandatory to say all babies look cute.
Failure to follow any of these mandatory rules will result in an evil look from your gramma and a pinch from your momma and a swat from your daddy.

I'm sorry you are offended by our customs, bless your heart.

SO true

Yep, opening doors was mandatory for my boys too.

When they were young, and still in training, lol, I used to come to a dead stop in front of any door we were approaching together. Sometimes they'd bump right in to the back of me until they looked up and realized why I had stopped.

They eventually learned to keep a look out for doors and step up to open them quickly

A gentleman should always have good manners, whether those manners are appreciated or not!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil*miss*sunshine View Post
good evening, i am spending the rest of the summer in nc. a few things aggravate the devil out of me already and i have only been here a week. i am young and able-bodied. i like opening my own door. i think people who are NOT heavily pregnant, disabled, in a wheelchair, limping etc should also open their own door. if you want to hold the door open 4 me, fine and good, but find it tiring when people expect a thank you ( and they do ). unless i was visibly struggling to get through the door ( i wasnt ) you dont owe me an opening, and i dont owe you anything either. if it even matters, i will go out of my way to hold a door open for someone physically disabled or pushing a stroller, but whats with those morons who will steady keep the door open when your still 50 feet away w/ this big grin on their face, now i feel obligated to rush up to the door so they dont stand there for ever and i usually give a polite nod, and mumble gratitude, but it unnerves me. also, whats with all the eye contact , unless you are speaking directly to me or engaging me in some verbal interaction there is no need to look at me, just mind your own business as i do mine. i also hate when total strangers smile for no reason b/c i wonder whats in their head. i wonder how i'll get through the next three months without gettting irritated every minute of the day. i am 18 years old, but i dont think age has any thing to do with it. or maybe it does ? i dont see the point in playing friend with total strangers

Miss: You should pack up and move here to Portland, Oregon you would be in your element. People that rarely ever smile and its a rare day in Portland when someone actually holds the door opened, but they sure know how to spit on the ground all day long.

I'd be more than pleased if I had the type of courtesy and friendly smiles here that you complain about in NC. I can't imagine someone being that irritated by kindness. Most definitely Portland is the city for you. Now I see why so many your age flock here, and why I see so many depressed and poorly mannerd people.

I realize your young but seriously would you rather people be cold and distant and just zombie unfeeling people. We have way to much of that in this strange world already. Be thankful that attitude has not overwhelmed NC yet.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,397 times
I try to hold doors , et al.
However , if I ever run across you behind me at an exit , I'll make it a priority to slam it in your face.
Grow up , mofo!! You will likely be back in this forum inquiring as to the location of homeless shelters , welfare , or some other 'help me , I cant get a job' BS due to that outlook. Better yet , I have a pervasive feeling that you are the guy that stands in front of DG on Westinghouse asking , 'Can you help a brother out?' , then upon denial , have the audacity to talk s#!t about the very person you just asked for a damn dollar!! Fool!!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
Such a weird thing to have hangups about.

Of course everyone should hold a door for everyone. I can't stop and think about their station in life or their innermost thoughts.

I once held a door for a fortyish one-legged woman in Rochester, NY. She ripped my head off, screeching that she was fully able to open the (very heavy) door for herself, thank-you-very-much. She was on crutches.

Regardless of that experience, I hold doors open for everyone and always will. If I get hit with a door because the person in front of me doesn't hold it, I say, "WELL, THANK YOUUUUU!" because it's ridiculous that someone can't take two seconds to hold a door. I'm a grandmother. Grandmothers especially like having heavy doors held for them.

In my limited visits to NYC, I noticed everyone pretty much is polite in holding doors. The only time I was shocked was when I saw a woman let a door behind her SMACK a baby stroller -- and it was one heavy door and one rattled baby. I wanted to smack the woman to the ground.

And I've seen the complaint that NC people are so polite that they show up at one's door unannounced...uh, no. Eighteen years, and no one has ever done that. They are polite and call first. The only time people stop unannounced is if we're outside in the front yard doing yard work, and I love when people stop by.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:10 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Wow. I hold open doors all the time for people and even wait a little while until they get to the door. If am standing near a door and someone is approaching it, I usually hold it open. It's just the respectful thing to do.

Please feel free if you ever come across me holding open a door for you to waive your fist around and say "Hey #$%$, I can hold open my own door" and I'll be more then happy to slam it in your face

I always got smacked for not holding open doors for people as a kid. My parents aren't from this continent, let alone the South (Europe). So it's not like I was raised by Ma and Pa Kettle from Mayberry... Holding open doors is a form of respect.

Even if it is a North Carolina thing to hold open doors, smile, and say thank you. Then just go with it. When in Rome... Do as the Romans...

Old 05-26-2011, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,816 times
[quote=GayCharlotteGuy;19321497]Wow. I hold open doors all the time for people and even wait a little while until they get to the door. If am standing near a door and someone is approaching it, I usually hold it open. It's just the respectful thing to do.

Please feel free if you ever come across me holding open a door for you to waive your fist around and say "Hey #$%$, I can hold open my own door" and I'll be more then happy to slam it in your face

I always got smacked for not holding open doors for people as a kid. My parents aren't from this continent, let alone the South (Europe). So it's not like I was raised by Ma and Pa Kettle from Mayberry... Holding open doors is a form of respect.

If people opened their own doors for their own self ; there'd be no danger of anything being slammed in their face.

Thank you CharlotteGuy but in Europe women dont hold doors open for men. However men do so as an act of chivalry and thats fine. No one expects it. Also we are in America and if a door is slammed in your face, maybe you should have caught it first.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil*miss*sunshine View Post
Those of you who think its your God-given right to a door being held open should NEVER leave NC . Definitely do NOT go to ATLANTA !
I actually do frequently go to Atlanta and people hold doors open for me and I do for others. A simple courtesy. I wouldn't do what this gentlemen did however because you never know who has a gun or who's a nutjob. I would just walk away shaking my head blessing their heart.

Oh and an FYI....I'm not from NC. I grew up in Upstate NY where people are taught manners. Holding a door for others is a simple gesture of politeness.

Seriously, good luck in the job market because you're really going to need it with this attitude and major chip on your shoulders. It's hard enough finding a job and keeping one with a very positive attitude and manners. Lord help the person interviewing Sunshine and holds the door open for her!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-26-2011 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: orphan the referring post is deleted

Old 05-26-2011, 04:54 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,287,330 times
Does anyone actually believe that Sunshine is really an 18-year-old kid visiting us for the summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina