U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 PM

78 posts, read 183,429 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Thought I'd post this here quick before calling downtown to find out, one of yall might know.

I am interested in a vintage car that a friend has, for a restoration project, however the car has no title. The person purchased the car without a title, and although having intentions of getting one and fixing it up, he never got that far.

Is anyone aware of what has to be done to get a "lost" title in NC? Ive read a few things, from the current "owner" has to sign an affadavit saying he bought the car legally etc then a title search is done and if its not stolen all is well, to the same, but the title has to go back to the last person whos name it was in, and they have to sign off on it....been 6 years on this car.

I agreed to assist him in getting a title any way I can, also that the purchase is conditional on getting a clear title. Car is almost 40 years old. Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 PM

900 posts, read 1,428,921 times
Nothing involving the NC DMV is ever a simple process, so good luck with that. I wonder what happens if you can't find the previous owner or if they're no longer living? I sure see a lot of cars for sale on CL with no title, so I guess it's not all that uncommon.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Nothing involving the NC DMV is ever a simple process, so good luck with that. I wonder what happens if you can't find the previous owner or if they're no longer living? I sure see a lot of cars for sale on CL with no title, so I guess it's not all that uncommon.
Same here. Previous owner with title in this case is unknown. It must not be that big a deal with no title--at least I am hoping its that way. Hate to see this car go to waste. Thing that concerns me there is most of them say "for parts".

Last edited by Daytrepper; 05-23-2011 at 09:53 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 AM

2,301 posts, read 3,259,074 times
You had it right in your first post--you need to contact the DMV. The situation depends--was the car ever titled in NC? If so, then it's a matter of "catching up" the title, i.e., updating it with the current owner information. This may require affidavits, or at least an effort to contact the last named owner. If the car was never titled in NC, or if the owner of record can't be located, there's a process for that as well although I don't know the details.

Gorilla, it's not true that an untitled car "can never be driven on the street again". Untitled cars are not that uncommon, for example:

--a car built from a kit or from "scratch"
--a car purchased in another country and imported by the owner
--restored antique cars, etc.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:26 AM

60 posts, read 132,839 times
After doing more research it looks like it is possible if you have a bill of sale and a copy of the bill of sale where the previous owner purchased the car. Basically you have to show a history of ownership and it will have to be inspected by the DMV to make sure the vin numbers are correct, and that it's not a stolen vehicle.

Maybe try a carfax with the VIN number to try and track down a previous owner, and see if they would be willing to get a duplicate tittle and then transfer it to your name. There are companys that specialize in getting new titles for old cars, but I'm not sure how legit these services are. I think they transfer ownership though other states that only require a bill of sale.

NC Title & Registration w/out of state car info... [Archive] - THE H.A.M.B.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:37 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,228,872 times
A friend owns a business where he files for lost titles frequently., so any info I post will be on hearsay from him.

You can file for a lost title through the DMV. Since the title is not in your name, it will come in the name last officially owned. If you have the bill of sale information from that person to yourself, you may be able to transfer the title to yourself from that point. If you do not, you will have to A- contact the last official owner and see if they will sign it over or B- put a lien on the vehicle for storage and have it declared an abandoned vehicle with you being the lienholder. You have to give the documented owner time and the opportunity to pay the storage fees and collect the car.

I would be wary of buying any vehicle without a title if I were planning to put it on the road. There is a possibility that you get it, invest your time, sweat, and money into this car.... just to have it reclaimed by the 'official' owner. That being said, I have a 35 yo project car as well.... there is great happiness in these old cars. I wouldn't dare put any work into her without a title in my hand.... in MY name.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the replies all.

I called the DMV today and basically got the "yeah good luck with that" response. They said either the last person with the title must be found and then file for a lost title, or I could file for a bonded title which is a pain and can take up to 3 years.

We are going to try to find the last person with the title in their name. The current "owner" has bill of sale from when he bought it and several documents related to it. Would hate to see the car go to waste over some paperwork.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 11,420 times
I am from SC (now living in Charlotte) and it is perfectly legal to by a car with bill of sale and signed application of title. Unknown to me, that's quite the opposite here. Long story short the vehicle has no title, and a $2300 lien on it. Any Input???

Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 AM

3,188 posts, read 1,724,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamein View Post
I am from SC (now living in Charlotte) and it is perfectly legal to by a car with bill of sale and signed application of title. Unknown to me, that's quite the opposite here. Long story short the vehicle has no title, and a $2300 lien on it. Any Input???
If there is a lien on the car it means the lien holder legally owns the car. They want their money before you can have the title. If they find out where it is they will have the repo man come and get it. Then they can sell it for what ever it will bring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina