Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 12:22 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
South Carolina is still a backwards hell hole.
And if Berger, Moore, Rucho, Brown, et al have their way, NC will be the same soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 01:37 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
And if Berger, Moore, Rucho, Brown, et al have their way, NC will be the same soon.
The current crop of legislators have already pulled some stunts that go beyond what you typically see down in Columbia...plus things have been a bit quiet lately in SC, interestingly enough.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:45 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
If you look at the votes, and whats been done legislatively in the General Assembly, its obvious that the General Assembly post-2010 is more conservative than pre-2010. And the term "Jessiecrat" (sic) really has virtually no meaning anymore.

So, how many Democrats in the General Assembly voted in favor of Amendment One?
10 Democrats.

In regards to post 2010, vs pre 2010 I see nothing to indicated the state is more conservative. Maybe you should define what "conservative" means.

I disagree about Jessiecrat but then again, you seem to be lost in the false narrative of "liberal" vs "conservative", red vs blue, democrat vs GOP so I can understand that.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
10 Democrats.

In regards to post 2010, vs pre 2010 I see nothing to indicated the state is more conservative. Maybe you should define what "conservative" means.

I disagree about Jessiecrat but then again, you seem to be lost in the false narrative of "liberal" vs "conservative", red vs blue, democrat vs GOP so I can understand that.
Yes, 10 out of 52. And no Republican voted against it. So the vote was pretty much right along party lines, thus putting the almost final nail in the Jessiecrat (sic) coffin.

You see nothing to indicate the state is more conservative?! Then your vision really sucks. Here's few "accomplishments" of the NC General Assembly since 2010:

"They ended a one-cent sales tax, put a constitutional amendment on the ballot to ban gay marriage, required counseling before an abortion, cut funding to public schools and universities, and implemented tort reform. Most importantly, they passed a gerrymandered redistricting map that ensured their electoral success in 2012."

Here's a few more:

"They introduced voter-ID bills, anti-Sharia-law bills, and drug testing for welfare recipients. They “revised” boards and commissions to end some appointments and expand others. They cut taxes for the wealthy and ended the earned-income tax credit for the working poor. They took control of Asheville’s water supply and Charlotte’s airport. They redistricted county commission and school-board districts that were controlled by Democrats."

Oh, don't forget saying no to Medicare expansion. And guns in bars and parks.

Thats pretty much a full scorecard of today's conservative agenda.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, 10 out of 52. And no Republican voted against it. So the vote was pretty much right along party lines, thus putting the almost final nail in the Jessiecrat (sic) coffin.

You see nothing to indicate the state is more conservative?! Then your vision really sucks. Here's few "accomplishments" of the NC General Assembly since 2010:

"They ended a one-cent sales tax, put a constitutional amendment on the ballot to ban gay marriage, required counseling before an abortion, cut funding to public schools and universities, and implemented tort reform. Most importantly, they passed a gerrymandered redistricting map that ensured their electoral success in 2012."

Here's a few more:

"They introduced voter-ID bills, anti-Sharia-law bills, and drug testing for welfare recipients. They “revised” boards and commissions to end some appointments and expand others. They cut taxes for the wealthy and ended the earned-income tax credit for the working poor. They took control of Asheville’s water supply and Charlotte’s airport. They redistricted county commission and school-board districts that were controlled by Democrats."

Oh, don't forget saying no to Medicare expansion. And guns in bars and parks.

Thats pretty much a full scorecard of today's conservative agenda.
  • 10 Democrats is enough to prove my point. i.e. You can't define it by one's membership in a political party.
  • Are you saying that increased taxes are a hallmark of liberalism?
  • Amendment one. Voted in by ~20% of registered voters in NC. 20 years ago this would have been much much higher. The state is definitely less socially conservative towards Gays & Lesbians. Can it be better? Sure, but that wasn't the question.
  • Funding to schools & universities? Teachers also got pay increases and McCrory's new budget increases it again.
  • Gerrymandering. Haha. That has nothing to do with being conservative. It's politics. Democrats have done it too.
I won't address items that have been introduced or items that are related to opinion such as Charlotte's airport. I don't think you have proven your point about the "state".

Old 03-12-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
  • 10 Democrats is enough to prove my point. i.e. You can't define it by one's membership in a political party.
    20% hardly "proves" anything.
  • Are you saying that increased taxes are a hallmark of liberalism?
    Umm, no.
  • Amendment one. The state is definitely less socially conservative towards Gays & Lesbians. Can it be better? Sure, but that wasn't the question.
    Then why ask it?
  • Funding to schools & universities? Teachers also got pay increases and McCrory's new budget increases it again.
    Teacher pay does not equal school funding.
Quote:
I won't address items that have been introduced or items that are related to opinion such as Charlotte's airport. I don't think you have proven your point about the "state".
You also didn't address most of my points. I think I *have* proven my point. Quite well, actually.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:19 AM

Amazing that you don't think teacher pay isn't part of the school funding process. This is why I usually ignore your posts.

I don't care about opinion, but opinion isn't proof that the state is more or less conservative than it traditionally has been in the past.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:34 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
This thread will be closed soon, start a new thread if you wish to discuss politics. This is far from any conservation dealing with VA/SC.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:03 PM

132 posts, read 181,419 times
Thank you JayJayCB! I was enjoying the first 9-10 pages until the politics showed up.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Amazing that you don't think teacher pay isn't part of the school funding process. This is why I usually ignore your posts.

I don't care about opinion, but opinion isn't proof that the state is more or less conservative than it traditionally has been in the past.
Nothing amazing about it, since I didn't say teacher pay isn't part of school funding, I said the two things aren't the same, which is what your comment implied.

Please feel free to ignore all my posts. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina