U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 10:41 AM

29,522 posts, read 26,987,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If you want to stick strictly to politics, it all boils down to exactly what I said. In the MidAtlantic you have a generation of women who, regardless of political affiliation, vote for choice. The reason for this is my generation sees a correlation between pro-life politicians & policies that are unrelated but not promoting gender equality.
I never said anything about the reasons Mid-Atlantic states are reliably blue; I only stated that they are, and that's not quite NC as of yet. It's not even true of VA at the moment, although it will probably get there and before NC.

Quote:
If you want to keep it racial, try Pitman, Glassboro, Clayton. I definitely recommend a visit to Chatsworth as well as Franklin Twp. Penns Grove is a community with a high concentration of rural evangelicals. Swedesboro,15/20 years ago, would have been a totally different experience. Several housing developments went in there during the boom before the bust. Mullica Hill has always had a bit of money, but they also saw new housing built during the bubble.

If you're working in the area that you asked about on the South Jersey board, ask them about the area that used to be the center of the oyster industry before the oyster beds were wiped out by disease. There are also natives in that area with accents that are similar to Virginia accents. I continue to be amazed by the lower number of stars & bars that I see in my area of NC when compared to South Jersey.

I don't live all that far from rural areas & if I go to Shelby or Gaffney I will run into individuals from rural areas. They don't seem significantly different from folks who I've run into in South Jersey. Keep in mind that Woodstown functions as a suburb for Wilmington. It's never been a totally rural town, however, you should try the Cowtown Rodeo & the Cowtown Flea Market.
Quote:
Forgot to mention that most people tend to not discuss politics with strangers, so you could be talking with a tea party member & not know it. The same goes for religion. Even the evangelicals aren't as likely to discuss religious topics with you until they know you. That might be the vibe that you've picked up. Just because they're not talking about certain things doesn't mean that those things aren't there.
Here is my original statement:

Yup, and even the red areas in an area like south Jersey have a very different vibe than comparable places in the South. For instance, I live in suburban south Jersey and work in rural south Jersey, and seeing Tea Party/anti-Obama political propaganda is extremely rare, whereas you could close your eyes, spin, and point and land on something like that in the rural South.

It's true. There's a pretty noticeable difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 11:15 AM

21,792 posts, read 27,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I never said anything about the reasons Mid-Atlantic states are reliably blue; I only stated that they are, and that's not quite NC as of yet. It's not even true of VA at the moment, although it will probably get there and before NC.

Yup, and even the red areas in an area like south Jersey have a very different vibe than comparable places in the South. For instance, I live in suburban south Jersey and work in rural south Jersey, and seeing Tea Party/anti-Obama political propaganda is extremely rare, whereas you could close your eyes, spin, and point and land on something like that in the rural South.

To me, the noticeable difference is that people do discuss their feelings about politics & religion openly & freely in NC even with strangers. Go to a redneck bar in Franklin Twp & you will overhear things that would not be said to strangers. Gloucester City has some biker bars. Try one out.

What you listed, teaparty & Obama, hits the political & racial areas that I addressed. It's all there, but when they rarely address those topics with strangers, it seems to you that they aren't there & therefore it's "different".

Chatsworth is in the Pine Barrens. You may or may not have heard of Pineys. Elmer is in the middle of nowhere.

If you don't care why the state goes blue in national elections, that seems a bit disingenuous. The religious right can swing NC & VA red. State-wide they can't swing NJ red. If the southern counties had succeeded in breaking away & forming a separate state, South Jersey would be a red state.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
To me, the noticeable difference is that people do discuss their feelings about politics & religion openly & freely in NC even with strangers. Go to a redneck bar in Franklin Twp & you will overhear things that would not be said to strangers. Gloucester City has some biker bars. Try one out.

What you listed, teaparty & Obama, hits the political & racial areas that I addressed. It's all there, but when they rarely address those topics with strangers, it seems to you that they aren't there & therefore it's "different".

Chatsworth is in the Pine Barrens. You may or may not have heard of Pineys. Elmer is in the middle of nowhere.
You're still arguing against something I never stated. I never said anti-Obama and pro-Tea Party sentiment isn't here; I'm talking about the relative lack of expressions thereof which give this area a very different vibe. Of course people talk about commonly-held views in spaces they frequent, that's obvious.

Quote:
If you don't care why the state goes blue in national elections, that seems a bit disingenuous. The religious right can swing NC & VA red. State-wide they can't swing NJ red. If the southern counties had succeeded in breaking away & forming a separate state, South Jersey would be a red state.
Again, you're seriously misreading my post. I never said nothing about "not caring;" where are you getting that from? And thanks for making my point; NJ is reliably blue and has been for several presidential cycles now while that's not true of NC and VA (although VA is somewhat trending in that direction).

Old 06-20-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:
You're still arguing against something I never stated. I never said anti-Obama and pro-Tea Party sentiment isn't here; I'm talking about the relative lack of expressions thereof which give this area a very different vibe. Of course people talk about commonly-held views in spaces they frequent, that's obvious.

Again, you're seriously misreading my post. I never said nothing about "not caring;" where are you getting that from? And thanks for making my point; NJ is reliably blue and has been for several presidential cycles now while that's not true of NC and VA (although VA is somewhat trending in that direction).
People in the MidAtlantic are brought up to avoid talking about religious & political views unless it's with family & friends. The feeling is that there's no reason to potentially make an enemy over topics that are easily avoided. A moderate Republican can take the state but the abortion issue in the Republican platform has prevented them from taking the state for several presidential cycles. It's what the press refers to as their woman problem. NC is about to have the same situation.

Overall, politics are pretty close from PA/NJ to NC. The breakdown is much more similar between PA & NC. The big difference is that people aren't inclined to be "in your face" about politics & religion. This is why I agreed with the poster who said that NC is more like Virginia & the rest of the MidAtlantic.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Overall, politics are pretty close from PA/NJ to NC. The breakdown is much more similar between PA & NC. The big difference is that people aren't inclined to be "in your face" about politics & religion. This is why I agreed with the poster who said that NC is more like Virginia & the rest of the MidAtlantic.
Virginia, sure. The rest of the mid-Atlantic? Not so much, at least not at this point. Had NC remained blue in 2012 I'd say so, but it didn't whereas the rest of the mid-Atlantic states have been blue for the past six presidential elections.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Virginia, sure. The rest of the mid-Atlantic? Not so much, at least not at this point. Had NC remained blue in 2012 I'd say so, but it didn't whereas the rest of the mid-Atlantic states have been blue for the past six presidential elections.
One last time.

In 2012 the NC Republican party sent out mailings with outrageous claims about Democrats aimed at igniting the religious right. It worked. If they did the same in the MidAtlantic states it would only go so far. They aren't a high enough percentage of the population. Philadelphia, Baltimore, & DC have more in common with each other than NYC. Their metros include rural areas. The Republicans have alienated a large portion of the women voters. Republicans in Virginia & NC have been very busy alienating women and blacks. Who's going to believe jobs, jobs, jobs? People know that they lost Volvo & Lidl. There's plenty of time to lose more. If they p*ss off enough people even gerrymandering won't work. McCrory is very unlikely to see a 2nd term.

Slashing school budgets, sticking it to experienced teachers, defunding Planned Parenthood, anti-choice laws. Theze are not ways to endear them with women.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:59 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,227,554 times
North Carolina has more in common with South Carolina and Georgia than Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc. We have more in common with Virginia over any other state, though.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:53 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,109,746 times
To be candid, the high percentage of Southern Baptists in North Carolina explains its cultural conservatism. Virginia and Maryland have a much lower Southern Baptist population. I know there are many individual exceptions, but generally Southern Baptists tend to be extremely conservative and very politically active. A lot of denominations and religious fellowships are just as conservative, but only a couple are as politically active and involved in the culture wars as the SBC. It will be interesting to see if in-migration will decrease the power of Southern Baptists in the state.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:03 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,227,554 times
Another interesting point, does North Carolina have more in common with the Deep South or Mid-Atlantic? With more transplants flooding in, I'm sure most would make the argument that the urban areas of the state are becoming more like the Mid-Atlantic. For example, comparisons drawn between the Research Triangle and Northern Virginia. However, most of the rural areas in NC aren't too different from rural South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, etc.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
To be candid, the high percentage of Southern Baptists in North Carolina explains its cultural conservatism. Virginia and Maryland have a much lower Southern Baptist population. I know there are many individual exceptions, but generally Southern Baptists tend to be extremely conservative and very politically active. A lot of denominations and religious fellowships are just as conservative, but only a couple are as politically active and involved in the culture wars as the SBC. It will be interesting to see if in-migration will decrease the power of Southern Baptists in the state.
I specified the Evangelical group because of a propensity to inject their religious views into various debates. While most of those groups in NC are connected to the Southern Baptists, in South Jersey they usually trace back to the Reverend Carl McIntyre, who was connected to the Presbyterian church. Philadelphia does have a fairly large number of Baptists, including Southern Baptists.

Quakers tend to be conservative but they don't tend to get involved in modern political wars. One of their core values is tolerance. That is one thing that they do speak up for. Some people mistake it for liberalism. Maryland probably has the least Quakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or