Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 05:06 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Whole lot of nothing between Raleigh/Durham and Richmond, as well.
The whole lot of nothing to the north seems more likely to develop before the whole lot of nothing to the south in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 09:03 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Getting back to the original topic, I feel like Charlotte is easily more similar to South Carolina. It's not too different from the Research Triangle, but it feels much more southern (NASCAR, Billy Graham/Bible Belt Buckle, etc.). I guess the Research Triangle isn't stereotypically southern or less than Charlotte (if it isn't), because it seems to be receiving the "anywhere USA" suburban reputation. They're both very "New South" in the same league as Atlanta and Nashville, but Charlotte still strikes me as being more southern. Charlotte is probably more similar to Atlanta and the SC Upstate, while the Research Triangle could go towards Richmond and Northern Virginia (but far more southern). I'm trying not to generalize, but coming from Raleigh, I've always seen Charlotte as more Bible Belt-ish and conservative (Jesse Helms was from Monroe, outside Charlotte). What do y'all think? Notice any differences between the two?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Getting back to the original topic, I feel like Charlotte is easily more similar to South Carolina. It's not too different from the Research Triangle, but it feels much more southern (NASCAR, Billy Graham/Bible Belt Buckle, etc.). I guess the Research Triangle isn't stereotypically southern or less than Charlotte (if it isn't), because it seems to be receiving the "anywhere USA" suburban reputation. They're both very "New South" in the same league as Atlanta and Nashville, but Charlotte still strikes me as being more southern. Charlotte is probably more similar to Atlanta and the SC Upstate, while the Research Triangle could go towards Richmond and Northern Virginia (but far more southern). I'm trying not to generalize, but coming from Raleigh, I've always seen Charlotte as more Bible Belt-ish and conservative (Jesse Helms was from Monroe, outside Charlotte). What do y'all think? Notice any differences between the two?
Is your definition of Southern NASCAR & being conservatively religious?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Is your definition of Southern NASCAR & being conservatively religious?
No, but I feel like those are pretty darn southern!

Old 02-12-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
No, but I feel like those are pretty darn southern!
Well. . .how do you feel about the location of Pocono & Dover? See what's between them. There are some very conservatively religious people in Philadelphia who just happen to be Catholic. There are also a lot of extremely conservative religious people in South Jersey who are Presbyterian, Methodist, & born again Christian. That's the MidAtlantic. . .

Old 02-13-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well. . .how do you feel about the location of Pocono & Dover? See what's between them. There are some very conservatively religious people in Philadelphia who just happen to be Catholic. There are also a lot of extremely conservative religious people in South Jersey who are Presbyterian, Methodist, & born again Christian. That's the MidAtlantic. . .
I suppose so, but I've always seen Charlotte as the "Gateway to the Deep South" in some ways and you can see that a little IMO.

Raleigh/Durham is still quite southern, no doubt about it. However, I feel like it (along with the Triad) has far more in common with Virginia.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:31 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Past: More like Virginia
Present: More like South Carolina
Future: More like Mississippi

Thanks GOP!

Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 AM

111 posts, read 143,444 times
Quote:
Areas more similar to Virginia: Research Triangle, Triad, Outer Banks

Areas more similar to South Carolina: Charlotte, Fayetteville, Wilmington, Sandhills region

Anyone agree or disagree?
I would have to disagree

Old 02-19-2015, 09:34 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Past: More like Virginia
Present: More like South Carolina
Future: More like Mississippi

Thanks GOP!
If anything, the state is getting more liberal due to all the transplanted Yankees. Even though NC may currently be controlled at the state level by the GOP, that's mostly due to conveniently gerrymandered districts.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:09 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If anything, the state is getting more liberal due to all the transplanted Yankees. Even though NC may currently be controlled at the state level by the GOP, that's mostly due to conveniently gerrymandered districts.
Evidence to the contrary: NC has 2 Republican US Senators, a majority Republican Congressional delegation (10 to 3!) and a Republican governor. Also, the GOP took control of the General Assembly prior to the current redistricting.

NC is most assuredly not getting more liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina