Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 03:50 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
My post was plainly & clearly based on what was in the news & how North Carolina was viewed in the national news at that time. I was alive then. I doubt that you were.

You have twisted things that I have posted in other boards to try to start an argument. Don't do it here. Post your view all you want, but don't involve me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Tennessee was better than North Carolina during the 50's and 60's, not quite as militant. North Carolina and Arkansas were the toughest outside the Deep South (although Virginia actually acted a little Deep South-ish at some points). Our politics were a little more moderate, so we had more KKK members than the rest of the South combined for a few years (roughly 1963-66). North Carolina wasn't violent like Alabama or Mississippi, we manged to sneakily get around integration using the Pearsall Plan. This is what puzzled Orval Faubus over in Arkansas, he couldn't figure out how we were getting around integration in such a sneaky way. It's safe to say we were just as racist up here, but we were a little more polite about it. Many North Carolinians like to think we weren't an Alabama or Mississippi and they're right in some ways, but we weren't that much better. Chapel Hill wouldn't have integrated if they weren't forced, their own chancellor made comments along the lines of, "Just because we have to admit them doesn't mean we have to interact with them." He wanted to keep black students in a separate section of stands at UNC football games. Apparently Greensboro was the first city in the South to announce they'll go along with the Brown decision, but barely did anything. In fact, Greensboro and Charlotte were two of the last southern cities to fully integrate their schools. We didn't have the vicious murders/bombings up here like you'd find in the Deep South, but it's an overstatement to say we were much more progressive. It's just that state leaders were concentrated on matters such as kicking off Research Triangle Park over preserving segregation. As opposed to George Wallace, Terry Sanford was looking towards the future.
I remember seeing deep South governors standing their ground & promising defiance, & inciting violence. Same for Arkansas.

If you want to throw in the KKK, you nationalize the argument.

How did NC handle integration? Quietly. Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Philadelphia, South Jersey went about it quietly. I'm not saying how well they did it, just the method. Quietly.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
jayjaycb is under 30 years old. there's a certain admiration for his desire to research things, but his lens is definitely book-based.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:29 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
jayjaycb is under 30 years old. there's a certain admiration for his desire to research things, but his lens is definitely book-based.
Hey, for under 30, you have to admit I know some things about NC most people in NC wouldn't. Just sayin'

Old 06-23-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Hey, for under 30, you have to admit I know some things about NC most people in NC wouldn't. Just sayin'
Just remember books are skewed. The books are trying to prove a point.

I remember hearing about the civil rights movement on the radio & seeing film clips on TV.

Remember this. . .boomers are the transition generation. I remember an announcement on the news that the last Civil War veteran had died. We saw the demonstrations on TV newscasts. We were the 1st generation to grow up with television. Vietnam came into our living rooms, later. Oh & our mothers had been the Rosie the Riveters during WWII. They told those of us who were female that we could be anything. Now that was a fairytale in the 50s & 60s. . .but we believed them.

Ask people in your real life about some of these things. Delve into who settled the different areas of North Carolina. don't just leave it at the NC border. The Quakers are incredibly easy to trace back. They're going to take you back to Philadelphia, South Jersey, & Delaware. The Moravians will take you back to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, etc., etc. Then there's the Germans who will take you back to Pennsylvania or Virginia.

Read about how Quakers were handled during the Civil War. NC & VA handled them as they were handled in PA, NJ, & DE. That's just not pointing to the Deep South. Are there differences with the majority of the MidAtlantic? Of course.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:08 AM

774 posts, read 1,856,559 times
Default Very Interesting discussion

Not having grown up in North Carolina, this discussion tells me a lot!

I was around the Duke campus one day and a black brother told me about the complexities of North Carolina's black population and why it's so.

When Duke was built, they borrowed professors from Princeton to come down and teach.
Those professors didn't want to be associated with lynching, so when they saw something they didn't like ... a black guy going with a white girl for instance... they'd get with the blacks in the community that could "influence" things and told them to run the guy off, and that's what they did.

It's still in the culture.
There are many in the black community who feel it's their job to "check" new blacks coming in.

Likewise, there are many native-born whites who seem afraid that blacks will somehow rise up and do to them what whites have done to blacks... a kind of guilty paranoia not based in reality.

It's almost as if blacks, whites... Native Americans ... nobody wants things to get out of hand. Nobody wants trouble. Nobody wants the apple cart getting tipped over... despite all the alcoholism, drugs, violence, and injustice.

Like Ken Burns said about his award-winning documentary, "The Civil War" ... there are discussions we need to have that we aren't because we kept pushing them aside.

It's just not mentally nor emotionally healthy to hang onto old baggage and try to attach one's identity to an era we should have grown out of 100 years ago. The Civil War was America's most seminal event. We need to talk about who we are as a country existing in 2015.

None of us can change 1864.
We don't need to.
Wisdom can come out of trauma.
But we need to process it ... honestly ... and grow

Old 06-27-2015, 08:41 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Not having grown up in North Carolina, this discussion tells me a lot!

I was around the Duke campus one day and a black brother told me about the complexities of North Carolina's black population and why it's so.

When Duke was built, they borrowed professors from Princeton to come down and teach.
Those professors didn't want to be associated with lynching, so when they saw something they didn't like ... a black guy going with a white girl for instance... they'd get with the blacks in the community that could "influence" things and told them to run the guy off, and that's what they did.

It's still in the culture.
There are many in the black community who feel it's their job to "check" new blacks coming in.

Likewise, there are many native-born whites who seem afraid that blacks will somehow rise up and do to them what whites have done to blacks... a kind of guilty paranoia not based in reality.

It's almost as if blacks, whites... Native Americans ... nobody wants things to get out of hand. Nobody wants trouble. Nobody wants the apple cart getting tipped over... despite all the alcoholism, drugs, violence, and injustice.

Like Ken Burns said about his award-winning documentary, "The Civil War" ... there are discussions we need to have that we aren't because we kept pushing them aside.

It's just not mentally nor emotionally healthy to hang onto old baggage and try to attach one's identity to an era we should have grown out of 100 years ago. The Civil War was America's most seminal event. We need to talk about who we are as a country existing in 2015.

None of us can change 1864.
We don't need to.
Wisdom can come out of trauma.
But we need to process it ... honestly ... and grow
I think you're the one living in 1864.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:59 AM

Default Really...

Okay "carolinadawg2" ... why do you say that?

Point out where you see that and give me contradictions to my thinking.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You've clearly never read about Robert Williams.

Independent Lens . NEGROES WITH GUNS: Rob Williams and Black Power . Rob Williams | PBS
Reading some of these posts shows how varied and layered even Southerns view themselves as.

There are many good and positive post here... but there are many who illustrate people who are shallow thinkers not in touch with reality.

I suppose this is one of the benefits of Social Media and the Internet...
People can voice their truth to the World Wide Web, that they wouldn't do in person.

For instance BajanYankee's posting of Robert Williams statement of violent SELF DEFENSE during the Civil Rights movement:
"I advocated violent self-defense because I don't really think you can have a defense against violent racists and against terrorists unless you are prepared to meet violence with violence, and my policy was to meet violence with violence." —Rob Williams
We're talking about a statement made when it was still legal to lynch black people. We're talking 1956.
Illogically, I think there are many whites who fear that blacks will somehow rise up and do to them what their racism has done to us.

Mr. Williams' statement was one of SELF-Defense.
Why would that concern you if you didn't have plans to oppress him into 2d or 3rd Class "Citizenship?"
The only person alarmed about black people defending themselves unless he or she somehow thought they had the right to attack them??

"Human beings see the world as we are ... not how it is."
Projection ... projecting one's own intentions onto others is not only common... but it is zenith of Criminal Thinking and Narcissism.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:59 PM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
When it comes to the issue of abortion, NC has views in the middle of Virginia and South Carolina. 52 percent of NC residents say that abortion should be legal in all or most cases, whereas the residents of SC and VA say so by 46 and 58 percent, respectably. NC's views are very close to the national average.

Map: American Attitudes on the Legality and Availability of Abortion Nationwide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina