U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 04:27 PM

75 posts, read 246,115 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all!

I'm compiling a list to use as a running gag in my novel. I'm looking for parental cliches. You know the stuff like, "Close that door! I'm not paying to heat the neighborhood!"

They don't have to be funny by themselves... the context I'll put them in will make them funny.

Remember any? I especially want regional cliches.

Cheers,
Diana

"Eat your supper. There are starving children in China."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 04:36 PM

180 posts, read 679,892 times
From my Mother: When I was kid I used to walk to school in a blizzard!

I guess she meant that we were lucky to have school cancelled...

Old 08-30-2006, 05:48 PM

Heheheh... or barefoot, uphill... both ways.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:03 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,015,971 times
Okay, my husbands family is from eastern north carolina and I don't understand half of what they are saying and I am also from north carolina....but they say things like:

When you ask them what they think of something, they will say:
"it's like your drawers"...........which means, it is like your pants, up to you, as in they are up against your body. They also use words like britches for any long pants, or basically anything wore on the legs

they say, "well, i swanee" for I swear

They say, "bless her heart or bless his heart just before they are going to insult someone" as in "bless her heart, she just didn't get the looks in the family".

Those are the only things I can think of off of the top of my head, but I am sure more will follow.

oh, how about "do you want a coke" then the person will respond "sure" What kind" and their response may be "a sprite".

Leigh

Old 08-30-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Okay, my husbands family is from eastern north carolina and I don't understand half of what they are saying and I am also from north carolina....but they say things like:

When you ask them what they think of something, they will say:
"it's like your drawers"...........which means, it is like your pants, up to you, as in they are up against your body. They also use words like britches for any long pants, or basically anything wore on the legs

they say, "well, i swanee" for I swear

They say, "bless her heart or bless his heart just before they are going to insult someone" as in "bless her heart, she just didn't get the looks in the family".

Those are the only things I can think of off of the top of my head, but I am sure more will follow.

oh, how about "do you want a coke" then the person will respond "sure" What kind" and their response may be "a sprite".

Leigh

Hey Leigh!
Thanks for those! I was going to ask what your typical carbonated beverage was called anyway! It varies so much from region to region... cola, pop, soda, sodie, coke-cola... That's precious!

Cheers,
Diana

Old 08-30-2006, 06:20 PM

741 posts, read 3,263,426 times
"In my day potato chips were a delicacy" HUH! And the famous "Money doesn't grow on tree's ya know" And yes, the "I had to walk 12 miles barefoot in the snow to get to school" Sure.....

Old 08-30-2006, 06:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,653,391 times
Well my parents walked up hill both ways in the snow too ....

Also if you made a face you were warned if could freeze like that

I could have lost my head several times if it wasn't attached to my shoulders

And the one that cursed me and have already said it to mine many times

I hope you have 100 just like you

Old 08-30-2006, 06:30 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,015,971 times
Diana

My in laws looked at me strange when I ask for a soda (my parents are not from the south). Here, everyone calls soda coke, regardless of what it really is. Now, of course there are people who will not drink coke, but must have pepsi, but that is a whole different story.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:34 PM

12,025 posts, read 28,329,125 times
How about while riding in the car, your dad would look back and say..."do you want me to pull over now?"

Or your mom would say..."do you want me to smack you?"

We NEVER answered yes to either!!!

Vicki

Old 08-30-2006, 06:36 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,653,391 times
You should look into children cliches too, based on Vicki R's post

Are we there yet?

These some how get past on too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina