Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:53 PM

7 posts, read 14,609 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I want to move to North Carolina however; I do not know which city to move too? I currently reside in Dallas, TX by way of Minneapolis. Although, I am no fan of the heat, I am also no fan of the cold weather as well! Been there done that!!!!! I've lived here 5 years now and am so ready to move!!!! I'm tired of the traffic coupled with many other reasons!!

I work in the health insurance industry and do not like commuting no more than 20-30 minutes to work. I'm in my mid 40's and my daughter is 19, so I do not need to live near any public schools.

I still love to party and get my drink on occasionally, so living near bars/clubs and eateries would be great. I love to shop especially for shoes! I would love to live near scenic areas such as parks, etc. Living near shopping areas like, strip malls or large-scale malls would also be nice.

Will someone please suggest a few cities I can checkout? I plan on visiting before moving so I can make plan ahead before making the final decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 10:04 PM

44 posts, read 200,259 times
If you are trying to stay away from the hottest parts of NC, I would suggest somewhere a little higher in elevation... such as Blowing Rock, Boone, Asheville.. Asheville having the best nightlife scene of the three. Towns around Raleigh such as Fuquay Varina (If you can stand the traffic), Apex, Holly Springs, and of course Cary would offer what you are looking as well. Note than anything around Raleigh or Charlotte is going to be traffic laden. Hope that helps

Old 08-05-2007, 11:38 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,398,191 times
Raleigh's just as hot as Dallas....more concrete and development will make it worse. Air stays kinda still at times over the Piedmont.

Not recommending going south by any means because it just gets more humid, but near the coast (south of Houston) you do have a breeze helping move things around. You have that on the NC coast too. It's kinda expensive to buy along the coast and then there's insurance...

Old 08-09-2007, 04:54 PM

3,367 posts, read 7,727,735 times
that is complete BS. Why do you continue to spead these lies?

Look at the average highs during the summer months for the two cities:

Dallas:
June: 92
July: 96
Aug: 96

Raleigh:

June: 86
July: 88
Aug: 86

Still think the two are "just as hot"?

Old 08-10-2007, 10:05 AM
RDU

40 posts, read 140,266 times
Dallas is hotter, have never lived there, but it always seems they put together a 20-something day string of 100 degree temperatures. Raleigh only goes over 100 maybe 4 or 5 days in the summer.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:16 AM

3,286 posts, read 8,520,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDU View Post
Dallas is hotter, have never lived there, but it always seems they put together a 20-something day string of 100 degree temperatures. Raleigh only goes over 100 maybe 4 or 5 days in the summer.
I remember thinking last summer was hot, but we never even got to 100. A few days of 99 I believe. This recent little stretch is pretty hot though. I would venture to say that Dallas is overall a much hotter place to be year round than Raleigh.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,757 times
Default Weather comparison

Couldn't find any 100 degree stats for Raleigh but I can tell you from living here over 30 yrs that most summers it doesn't reach 100 degrees here. This year has been an exception, of course. Did find these stats on a weather web site. Dallas averages 37 days at 32 degrees or below and 97 days at 90 degrees or above. Raleigh averages 75 days at 32 degrees or below and 37 days at 90 degrees or above. The most most 90 degree days Raleigh has ever had in one year is only about 70/72, I think. Much less than Dallas' average. The climate in Raleigh is more mid-atlantic than southern compared to other southern cities. Raleigh has twice as many 32 degree days as 90 degree days. Most southern cities are the opposite.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,197 times
Well, a lot of people let you know about the weather! In answer to your other questions (shopping, etc.) - I would suggest either the UNCC area of Charlotte, Huntersville, or Dilworth. If you think you will be escaping traffic by coming to Charlotte - guess again!!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 PM
NCN

21,657 posts, read 25,493,558 times
Sounds like Asheville would be the town for you.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,740 times
Talking Needing some general information.....

Hi everyone...

Looking for some onformation about moving from Scotland to North Carolina. We have been out in florida few weeks back looking into property and moving out there but my partners work has now relocated and its now to North Carolina Monroe. the problem being i havent got a clue what is nice areas and how far town are from Monroe. We have a three yr old little boy so really i need to make sure things are smoothly for him sschools, weather and stores etc! Things that wouldnt be a big fuss to him well esp the weather but then Scottish weather is pitty full so the sunshine would be fab he loves wearing his sun glasses hehehe!!

Could someone give me any information how little it may be would be fantastic

Thanks

L x
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina