Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your thoughts
What can be done to help the new citizens of NC? 12 60.00%
a southerners point of view 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:24 AM

34 posts, read 97,832 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to Wilson , NC in January, hum, how shall I put this, The minute I open my mouth, a get a confused stare, the smile drops and the attitude changes. My children and I are having the hardest time making friends, or shall I say developing friendships, other than politeness.
It really amazes me that this day and age, with all the advances that people are so predjedus!! I grew up in a small town,and while there was always new people moving in, as long as they were a GOOD family, it did not matter to anyone how they talked, where they came from . Southerners don't want to be considered backwards etc., yet we get this response!!! Change is a fact of life and weather they want it or not, we are coming in droves, i think they better get over it , because this behavior only evokes anger and resentment, Come in open arms when we vacation and spend our money here, but try to mingle and live among them and well how dare we!!!Shoo us aside and maybe they will pack up and leave...Ever wonder how they economy has picked up in your town? Why there are more choices,restaurants etc.What ever happened to the more the merrier, good will towards mankind,what are we teaching our children???

Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 AM

915 posts, read 3,179,750 times
lol ..boy oh boy..you moved into the wrong town! Of all the places in NC you moved to Wilson!
Move to Raleigh..it's about 45 min away.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:50 AM

310 posts, read 1,714,996 times
Since I moved to Raleigh, I found nothing but friendliness and welcomming.
In my first day here, my neighbor, who I just met, helped me moving my furnature to the third floor...now what do you call that..

Old 07-24-2007, 10:54 AM

419 posts, read 1,397,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
lol ..boy oh boy..you moved into the wrong town! Of all the places in NC you moved to Wilson!
Move to Raleigh..it's about 45 min away.
I have to agree. Raleigh and the surrounding suburbs are far more tolerant to Northerners. Keep in mind, no matter where you go in NC, you will still get the occaisional ribbing from being up north.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 AM

36 posts, read 158,649 times
Chedonna,

I fully understand. My sister lived in Wilson-she made it all of 4 months. We went down in May to retrieve her stuff and were not treated very well. We went into the big BBQ place in town and were looked at like we were space aliens. My family is moving to Clayton next year-it is alot more "balanced" in terms of how you are treated. I think Wilson is more of the small town mind-set. Its a shame, there are really nice areas. Hang in there, with more people coming into the area, there is bound to be change. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:09 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Raleigh is much more diverse and cosmopolitan than Wilson.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:48 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
Default Yankees

No problems in E NC (Greenville/Winterville). We learned quickly 4 hrs. ago, if you are inviting neighbors to a bar-b-que, there better be a pig on it. You will get the occasional ribbing, but in fun. We love it here and are very accepted.
A little tip about Wilson, it has the only open MRI in the entire state.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:52 PM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedonna View Post
...Ever wonder how they economy has picked up in your town? Why there are more choices,restaurants etc...
I have wondered these things. It must be the Yankees, I guess.

Honestly I don't think the citizens of Wilson owe you any thanks for saving their town. Expecting it is not the way to fit in. These people are experiencing changes in the town they've lived in all their lives, and most do not see it as a change for the better. Many don't want Home Depot, Starbucks, and Office Depot. They want the local hardware store, local cafe/coffee shop, and local office supply store where the owner greeted them by name.

Some lifelong southerners blame the changes on "Yankees." Whether that blame is misplaced, I don't know.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:12 PM

859 posts, read 3,320,998 times
It seems horrible that in 2007 people are run out of town because of the state where they were raised. However you slice it, that is just being prejudice.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:24 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
I have wondered these things. It must be the Yankees, I guess.

Honestly I don't think the citizens of Wilson owe you any thanks for saving their town. Expecting it is not the way to fit in. These people are experiencing changes in the town they've lived in all their lives, and most do not see it as a change for the better. Many don't want Home Depot, Starbucks, and Office Depot. They want the local hardware store, local cafe/coffee shop, and local office supply store where the owner greeted them by name.

Some lifelong southerners blame the changes on "Yankees." Whether that blame is misplaced, I don't know.
Change is often a double edged sword: they may not like the Yankee influence regarding the big-box stores and constant construction covering the area but are they complaining about the good schools and medical care and booming economy? Bet not.

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 07-24-2007 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina