U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2011, 02:38 PM

6,128 posts, read 9,159,139 times

Advertisements

my parents want to get the heck out of connecticut, cost of living and general attitude up here is not condusive to living a GOOD life.

theres a couple of requirments...

dad needs to be within 1 1/2 hours (2 tops) to an airport servicing most of the east coast (he travels for work and would prefer to not fuss with multiple connecting flights to get to the likes of florida or New york when he needs to...)

he also sails and wants to be close to water...ocean, lake he doesnt care but it must be a LARGE body, large enough that he can spend an entire day sailing (right now his boat is on the sound acess to ocean) he says it doesnt have to be the ocean, but it has to be navicable with a 26ft sail boat. for at least a few hours of back and forth.

RURAL...now this is the sticking point, dad would be happy with "middle of nowhere", mum wants "small town charm".
both want at least 5 acres (preferably more) on which they can raise a few chickens, goats, rabbits ect...but mum wants to be close enough to town for basic grocery shopping...shes also looking for a very "quaint" southern town, little local stores, cafe's "pretty" and very frinedly...
she doesnt have any frineds here in ct, the pace up here isnt realy good for slowing down and just chatting...and were form the uk where people "just pop round" here everyhting is schedualed and its not working for her...
shed like somewhere wiht some kind of night life, be it summer concerts in the park or a nice local cafe/pub/bar with a live act once in a while where they can just go one evening a week for a night out.

in terms of Larger convenicnes (movies, walmart, home supply store, feed store ect...) as long as its no more than an hour away from "big shopping"
shell be fine as long as the town has a little general store and quaint feel...
they do NOT like malls, so that plays NO part in their needs.

cost of living...obviously anywhere south fo virginia would decrease cost of living but obviously the closer you live to the major cities (and the ocean) the more expensive it can get...
there hoping to get a small older home with character on 5-10 acres for under $150K

in terms of house style, there big fans of wrap around porches, victorians, and southern plantation style homes....again "older homes wiht character"

dads been looking online and likes the look of the likes of oriental, and little washington, but yeah, having never been to nc we have no idea where to start looking...(and obviously closer to the coast means further form the larger airports)

ive been told there are large lakes relitivly close to the charlotte area and of course theres an airport in charlotte...so is there any towns around that general vicintiy that might suit there needs...
or are any of the costal towns close enough to larger airports to be worth looking into...?

there both inlove with little seaside towns that tend to draw in some tourism industry with quaint little store fronts...and "things to do" but i know you cant realy get land in those on the coast areas either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 03:15 PM

143 posts, read 176,329 times
From what you've described, it sounds like they might find McDowell County to be of interest to them. Depending on where you are in the county, it is about 1 hour to the Asheville airport and about 2 to Charlotte. Though there is already a Lowes and WalMart in Marion, they are currently in the process of building a Super WalMart with several other stores that will be included in that complex. You'll find that Main Street in Marion is lined with several small shops and cafes and there are concerts in the park during the summer. They also have a farmers (tailgate) market 2 days a week during the summer.

Lake James is located in the eastern part of the county in Nebo. Though the housing costs around Lake James are a little higher than what you have described, you'll find that there are several properties in the surrounding area that should fit into their budget.

My husband and I moved here from Vermont about 4 1/2 years ago and I can assure you that it is a lot slower pace that what you find in Connecticut.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:19 PM

72 posts, read 88,918 times
Given what you are looking for, I would recommend Alexander/Burke/Caldwell Counties if you wanted to be closer to the mountains and cooler climate. You can drive to Hickory for city stuff, and about 1.5 hours to the Charlotte airport. There are quite a few lakes in that area (Lake James, Lake Hickory, Lake Rhodhiss, etc.)

Otherwise, you might should look in the Eastern part of the state. Oriental is known for sailing, but very expensive. Washington, NC may be perfect. Rural, low cost of living, not too far to the coast, and about 2 hours or so the Raleigh-Durham airport. Washington probably has more of the "look" in housing you are looking for as well.

Both CLT and RDU offer direct service to major cities on the East Coast.

Good Luck in your search.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:09 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,523,268 times
Rural areas close to Charleston, SC would honestly be my suggestion.

Rural coastal areas close to Wilmington would be your best bet in NC. You can probably find a good deall of cheap land in Pender County. Wilmington is only about 1.5 hours from RDU.

Thererare other areas in Eastern NC that meet your criteria, like the aforementioned Washington, Beaufort, and Oriental, but they are all farther than 1.5 hours to the airport. if oriental is too expensive you might want to look at other places in Pamlico like Minesott Beach/Arapahoe. Or on the intracoastal waterway on the back side of Carteret. New Bern would be a good fit as well. Still, all of these are greater than 1.5 hours. The New Bern Airport (EWN) does have connector flights. I've seen where it's been cheaper to fly out of EWN than a direct from CLT or RDU. If the distance to an airport is a concern stick to the I-40 corridor from Raleigh to US-17 just North and South of Wilmington.

(edit: EWN flies to CLT,RDU, and ATL so you typically only have a single connection from EWN to one of those hubs http://www.newbernairport.com/index.php?pg=flights)

Old 06-14-2011, 10:58 PM

884 posts, read 814,739 times
There are actually quite a few places that fit the bill. What else is drawing them to NC, if they have never visited (or maybe I'm reading that wrong?) That could help us make better suggestions.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 PM

8,098 posts, read 10,655,075 times
Obviously, the better airports are going to be near large cities, so you have opposing things on your criteria list there. NC doesn't really have any airports close to the cost, but as someone mentioned, there are large lakes near the Charlotte Area. Otherwise, you might look at the area near the Northeastern corner of NC, which is near the beach and Outer Banks, but also not too far from the Norfolk/Virginia Beach metro area which I presume would have a large airport. No shortage of small towns in NC, but being enar BOTH a major auirport AND a large body of water will be the limiting factors here. I would check into other states (in addition) for those criteria if they are the major ones.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:10 PM

2,284 posts, read 3,212,155 times
Depending on how often your dad sails, he might want to consider the wind (or lack thereof). Most inland lakes have plenty of hot days where the air is thick and heavy and wind is nowhere to be found. The coast would provide more reliable sailing conditions. But the lakes will provide some days that are great for sailing, so if he's content to wait for the good days then the inland lakes may make sense. Any of the large lakes in NC will have plenty of rural land and small towns within a reasonable driving distance.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:27 PM

45 posts, read 122,383 times
RDU has commercial flights from here to MIA, TPA, MCO, FLL, LGA, EWR, IAD, DCA, JFK, BOS, CLE, DEN, LAS, CLT, PHL, and maybe a couple other ones that I don't see on a day to day basis.

living east of raleigh might be good for you guys... somewhere around Wendell/Knightdale or further. Just depends on how far you wanna drive to get to the airport. But ILM doesn't fly to anywhere near as many places direct. CLT is too far from the water for what it sounds like you are looking for.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,743 times
Like other have said, there a lot of places here that would fit your criteria. My thought would be to try looking around Chowan/Bertie counties in NE North Carolina. Both are very close to the water (Albemarle sound, perfect for boating) and largely rural. A few people have mentioned Washington/Oriental, which is quite close, but I personally think the town of Edenton in Chowan County is a lot nicer, though it still has the same feel. Your parents could purchase a farm house in the country within about 10-20 miles of Edenton, where they could go for the whole townie thing. From what I've seen, there are a good amount of old farmhouses with some property that you might be able to find in your price range.
The one thing is that I think it might be a little bit of a culture shock - North Carolina is quite a lot different than New England, especially in the country. From my experience, everyone's always really friendly, so that's not a problem. You just have to think that in some of the smalltowns (and I mean a pop of less than 500) very little has changed since it was created. The families are all the same, the general store is owned by the same person, etc. Although someone new wouldn't be viewed with hostility, they probably would be highly suspicious.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:48 PM

8,001 posts, read 9,684,196 times
Wilmington!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina