Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 AM

6 posts, read 16,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Used to work highway construction and sorry, but you get no sympathy from me. Sounds like you were pretty pre-occupied in an area where I used to make my living. Based on the circumstances, are you 100% confident you could have avoided a worker that stepped into your path. Yep, I thought so. It is a matter of life and death. That is why the penalties are as they are. I can't believe the permissiveness of folks that have told you how to avoid paying your price for breaking the law. Disgusting.
You are correct - It is a life/death situation and I would not want to put anyone in danger. I am not a reckless person and do not have any prior speeding violations. You are also right that I was pre-occupied and tired and therefore made a mistake...it was truly unintentional...although I understand none of that would have mattered if I had hurt or even killed someone. I am not trying to make any excuses for myself. I honestly feel very bad about my actions and have already learned a valuable lesson from this situation. I have not exceeded the speed limit once since then and don't plan to again. I am happy to pay the fine that I deserve and if my insurance goes up, I will hate that, but I understand those consequences as well. All that being said, I feel like I have no choice but do everything I can to try and keep my license from being suspended. I think most poeple would do the same thing. I depend on driving for work, so obviously if it happens it will be a terrible consequence for me. Please do not think that I am just trying to get off without a penalty or that I am the type of person who does not take something like this seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 AM

I totally agree that this is a life/death situation. I normally do not behave in a reckless manner and the last thing I would want to do is endanger the life of anyone working or driving on the road. I do understand the seriousness of this offense and I feel terrible about my actions. I am not looking for sympathy here. LLN is right that I was preoccupied and tired and that is no excuse to speed through a work zone, but that is the reason that I made a mistake and did not notice the limit had dropped. I am completely OK with paying the fine I was charged and if my insurance rates increase, I will hate it...but I understand that actions do have consequences. I do want to try and keep my license from being suspended, as anyone would. I do feel like that is a fair thing for this first (and last offense). That doesn't mean that I don't take this deadly serious and that I have not learned an important life lesson as a result. You can rest assured I have not exceeded the speed limit one time since then and I plan to make sure that it does not happen again.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,694,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Whoa, calm down. If you're referring to me with your "permissiveness of folk" comment, it's not me that's being permissive. It's the state of NC. Sometimes they see fit to go easy on someone when the facts of the case allow it. Sorry, but that's just how things work, and I didn't make the rules.
Just following orders (insert German Accent)

How'd that philosophy work out for those guys at Nuremberg. Yeah, thought so.

And rightfully so!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,140,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Just following orders (insert German Accent)

How'd that philosophy work out for those guys at Nuremberg. Yeah, thought so.

And rightfully so!

What? So I'm a Nazi because I explained how the traffic court system works here? You seem to have some major issues...I'm not "just following orders", nor am I encouraging people to violate traffic laws. What on earth are you talking about???

Old 06-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Just want to clarify after recent comments that I certainly understand the serious nature of this offense. I was preoccupied and tired, but I know that does not excuse my actions and I take full responsibility for them. I would never ever want to hurt anyone working or driving on the road and I fully understand that it is critical to follow the speed limit. It is there for a reason. I have learned a valuable life lesson from this experience, I assure you. I understand the consequences and don't have any problem paying the fine and accepting the insurance points (even though I really hate it...my own fault). However, I think anyone would do what they could in order to try and get some mercy and legally get the charge reduced to avoid license suspension. I made a serious mistake and am not trying to make light of that in any way. Just trying to mitigate the mistake and learn from it. I can promise that this driver won't be speeding in the future! Thanks again to those who have offered advice. I don't interpret that as being "permissive". Just pherhaps some kind folks who have possibly been in my shoes before and are trying to help someone else.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,121 times
Montgla77,

I am in a similar situation as you were at the time of your post and was wondering how it turned out for you? I am trying to decide how to proceed, e.g. traffic school, lawyer, etc., before my court date in November.

Thanks.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 AM

gabryella74 - I hired a local attorney. He went to court for me and had the charge reduced to 9 mph above the speed limit. I still paid the fine (plus attorney fee), but the reduced charge means that my license did not get suspended and I did not get points against my insurance. I did get 2 points against my license. This was a good option for me because I had a clean driving record with no other offenses. And by the way, I am very careful not to speed now, so good lesson for me!

Old 07-04-2013, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 833 times
I got a speeding ticket back in April for going 74 in a 55 in Rowan County. I was headed to Virginia and my car radiator was not working properly and it was about 33 degrees outside. I was freezing going down the road and just not thinking right and trying to get to my destination to get warm. I know I am still guilty, but that is the truth. My car was soon towed away after that and so was my ticket. I forgot about the court date and just recently realized that I had missed the date. I called the clerk of court in Salsbury and they told me to hurry up and take care of this. Well apparently I have to try and get another court date before it's to late, but I don't have the money for an attorney. I have never had a DUI, and I have not had a speeding ticket in over 10 years. What can I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina