U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by researcherofparks View Post
If you get stopped just shoot the cop and drive away.
ANYONE who has the stupidity to say "shoot a cop" is a sick piece of crap! I'm not a cop, but I am a law-abiding citizen who believes in civility and law. Cops are just like me. They're typical fathers, husbands, sons, brothers and they put their life on the line for pieces of crap dumbasses like the one that wrote "just shoot the cop and drive away." They are just doing a job and must worry about IDIOTS like the one here that advocates shooting cops. Mannnnn ... you're obviously a messed-up, stupid individual who needs a major ass-whipping for saying what you said!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:53 AM

769 posts, read 2,479,928 times
I think you are inaccurate on a couple of issues here.

Open display of firearms is legal in NC but you may run the risk of falling foul of the law under carrying firearm to the the alarm of the public
I think it would be unconstitutional for a police officer to seize a legally held firearm, they may do so in practise but the legality of that action is doubtful also , although it may be prudent for officer safety
If you have a CCH permit you should immediately declare your possession of a firearm when stopped by police

Are you suggesting that a burglar, merely because he/she was able to enter your home, made them a 'guest' - that is not true they are still trespassing. At that point the use of force must be reasonable , if they are threatening you you are entitled to take reasonable steps to defend yourself,family and property.

Shooting someone through your front door is only authorized under the law if they are in the process of making a forcible entry. You can't shoot someone stood outside your front door just because you felt threatened - it wouldn't make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
In the state of NC, it is legal to carry a gun in plain sight or behind at least one lock. I can (and have) walked down the street with my pistol on my side on a public sidewalk. I have (not currently b/c young kids and no lock on the glove box) carried said pistol in my locked glove box. I have gone through a license check... the officer asked for my regristration... I replied with "it is in the glove box, there is a loaded pistol in there, you may want to get it out" He asked me to pull to the side... he came around and I gave him my key, he opened the glove box and removed my pistol, then told me to get my registration. He checked the info, said thank you, placed the pistol back in the glove box, locked it back and handed me the key. I was on my way.

Legally, he could have taken my pistol and given me a reciept where I'd have to pick it up at the courthouse. That is up to the discretion of the officer.

As for registration: in the State of NC, registration is no required to own a pistol. A permit is needed to purchase (not own) or take ownership of a short gun (pistol, or firearm less than 18 inches). You can register your firearm (long and short guns) with the sheriff's department of your county, but it is not a requirement to do so.

As for home protection: in the state of NC, once a person is in your home s/he is consitered a guest, you cannot shoot them unless you or other people are in direct physical danger. You can however shoot asomeone through your front door if you feel threateded as long as they have not broken the threshold.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 AM

769 posts, read 2,479,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researcherofparks View Post
If you get stopped just shoot the cop and drive away.
Thats a pretty moronic thing to say

Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,488 times
If you have a concelled permit ,you can have it any damm place you want ,in your car your truck your ass whereever you want

Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 7,488 times
concealed

Old 08-05-2010, 04:56 PM

3,313 posts, read 5,159,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigalini View Post
ANYONE who has the stupidity to say "shoot a cop" is a sick piece of crap! I'm not a cop, but I am a law-abiding citizen who believes in civility and law. Cops are just like me. They're typical fathers, husbands, sons, brothers and they put their life on the line for pieces of crap dumbasses like the one that wrote "just shoot the cop and drive away." They are just doing a job and must worry about IDIOTS like the one here that advocates shooting cops. Mannnnn ... you're obviously a messed-up, stupid individual who needs a major ass-whipping for saying what you said!

I asssume the poster is being sarcastic and NOT trolling

Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,828 times
I recently moved to Durham, and heard that you need to register ALL firearms, not just pistols, with the Sheriff/County. Is this true? I've looked around and haven't found any information that wasn't explicitly for pistols.
Thanks for any help!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:16 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,189,836 times
NC Legislature has had a proposed Castle Doctrine bill that has been held up by Rep Deborah Ross. Start calling her and pressure her to let the bill come up for a vote. Find out more from Grass Roots NC at Welcome to GRNC.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
One fellow in Durham was home with a sick baby. Wife had car so home looked unoccupied.

Three no good piece of crap kids cut school and burglarized his garage to get into the house.

He shot them in the back as they tried to run like the rats they were. Their worthless parents wanted the homeowner crucified although the kids had serious juvie records.

Thank heaven this was in NC. Grand jury refused to indict.

Moral is - don't shoot 'em in the back.
That was the Michael Seagroves case. The story began with him being a friend to those same kids. They rode a go cart past his house, it broke down nearby. He saw them and called out to bring it to his garage. He fixed it and gave them gas too. They saw he had nice things in the garage and came back another day to steal from him. What a way to repay his kindness. There were 4, he killed 1. Wish I remembered the names of the other 3, to check on Dpt of Corrections website. Be interesting to see if they were "scared straight" or if they went on to more crime. My $ is on the latter.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd M. View Post
Just because a city is labeled "safe" doesn't mean that crime can't or won't happen there. Take for example the lady that was shot at the ATM a few weeks ago in the "safe" city of Cary. Complacency about a city or area being safe quickly can turn the area unsafe.
It also doesn't mean the person will always be in Cary. Many people travel around for their jobs & other business. Ask around & see how many of your friends & family never leave Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina