U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,361 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Don't get this whole thing about needing to carry in a restaurant ...and now possibly one
that serves alcohol....!!! Yes,, the constitutional right to own and bare arms.. I get that.
But to need and want to have a weapon on your person when dining out in a public restaurant .......the public domain..... With families .... I don't get it. With little to no real training in firearms......and without the constant mindset of an officer or person
confronted with violence... I don't see the positive side. Most are going to **** their pants if confronted with a "bad person"....or shoot someone innocent. Is it an ego thing
a rambo fixation... I fail to understand this need. I spent 13 months in combat in viet nam and have been robbed at gunpoint... I still feel i was better off without a weapon during that robbery.... And i was scarred to death just like you would be..,my employees were safe along with me and i didn't shoot anybody or get us killed playing hero. Unless you are very well trained and constantly on guard for violence... I don't know how carrying in a public domain can be positive overall. Just a thought..!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
 
Location: North of Hell, South of Heaven.
310 posts, read 591,872 times
Reputation: 495
As someone who has successfully thwarted a violent criminal with the use of a handgun, I understand your worries, but also resent them. Concealed or otherwise, there's nothing inherently wrong with people who choose to exercise their RIGHT (with proper paperwork of course - don't you love how our rights are all regulated now?) to carry a weapon in public, displayed or concealed. This gives rise to another realization; That a LOT of the public at large has been indoctrinated to automatically fear/hate firearms and their owners. This should alarm everyone. A firearms is a tool, no more, no less. Sitting on my hip it can no more jump up and hurt someone than the steak knife you use to cut your steak, which, if properly aimed and used forcefully enough, makes a darn effective weapon when jammed in someone's neck.

The point is - don't drink the Kool Aid. Don't allow yourself to be indoctrinated that the mere presence of firearms equals danger. I can't speak for everyone, but I train in both marksmanship and tactical responsiveness (drawing properly, shooting on the move, accurate directed fire on target) on a DAILY basis. So if you see that guy with a "cocked 'n locked" Kimber Custom II 1911 on his hip in your restaurant, rest assured, I'm there to protect and defend you, your family, your friends and everyone else, including myself in a RESPONSIBLE way. Also, please keep in mind that a badge and a uniform does NOT automatically make one an expert in the responsible use of their firearm. Unless it's changed, I believe the Police only have to qualify with a 70% hit rating when they qualify for firearms use. Did you read that correctly? 30% of their magazine is ALLOWED to miss their target. Do you want 30% of a 17 round 9mm or 14 round .40 S&W magazine flying all over the place? I think not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2011, 08:08 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,864,395 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
As someone who has successfully thwarted a violent criminal with the use of a handgun, I understand your worries, but also resent them. Concealed or otherwise, there's nothing inherently wrong with people who choose to exercise their RIGHT (with proper paperwork of course - don't you love how our rights are all regulated now?) to carry a weapon in public, displayed or concealed. This gives rise to another realization; That a LOT of the public at large has been indoctrinated to automatically fear/hate firearms and their owners. This should alarm everyone. A firearms is a tool, no more, no less. Sitting on my hip it can no more jump up and hurt someone than the steak knife you use to cut your steak, which, if properly aimed and used forcefully enough, makes a darn effective weapon when jammed in someone's neck.

The point is - don't drink the Kool Aid. Don't allow yourself to be indoctrinated that the mere presence of firearms equals danger. I can't speak for everyone, but I train in both marksmanship and tactical responsiveness (drawing properly, shooting on the move, accurate directed fire on target) on a DAILY basis. So if you see that guy with a "cocked 'n locked" Kimber Custom II 1911 on his hip in your restaurant, rest assured, I'm there to protect and defend you, your family, your friends and everyone else, including myself in a RESPONSIBLE way. Also, please keep in mind that a badge and a uniform does NOT automatically make one an expert in the responsible use of their firearm. Unless it's changed, I believe the Police only have to qualify with a 70% hit rating when they qualify for firearms use. Did you read that correctly? 30% of their magazine is ALLOWED to miss their target. Do you want 30% of a 17 round 9mm or 14 round .40 S&W magazine flying all over the place? I think not!
Nice speech, and I have no doubt that you believe everything you posted but somewhere along the line you bought into somebody else's speech. You might even be a hero again some day.

The right to own a gun or carry a gun or carry a concealed gun has nothing to do about your safety or about stopping criminals.
It has everything to do about collecting votes for certain politicians. Nothing more nothing less.

You read about and you can recite all the statistics you want. It's all about votes.
The facts are that millions of NRA dollars are spent every year so that you vote for the right politician.

I have a couple of family members who give me the same speech as you every time I talk to them and in the end I am always wondering. "what the hell are they afraid of"?
No doubt about it there is gun paranoia in NC as your post shows.

Personally I am not anti gun and if everybody had a gun at home to protect their person or property I see nothing wrong with that but we certainly don't need a lot of "Johnny quick draws" eating in our bar/restaurants just so they can save the day for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2011, 10:42 PM
 
197 posts, read 415,182 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDTIMER1946 View Post
Don't get this whole thing about needing to carry in a restaurant ...and now possibly one
that serves alcohol....!!! Yes,, the constitutional right to own and bare arms.. I get that.
But to need and want to have a weapon on your person when dining out in a public restaurant .......the public domain..... With families .... I don't get it. With little to no real training in firearms......and without the constant mindset of an officer or person
confronted with violence... I don't see the positive side. Most are going to **** their pants if confronted with a "bad person"....or shoot someone innocent. Is it an ego thing
a rambo fixation... I fail to understand this need. I spent 13 months in combat in viet nam and have been robbed at gunpoint... I still feel i was better off without a weapon during that robbery.... And i was scarred to death just like you would be..,my employees were safe along with me and i didn't shoot anybody or get us killed playing hero. Unless you are very well trained and constantly on guard for violence... I don't know how carrying in a public domain can be positive overall. Just a thought..!!!!
I'm not here to **** in your "Wheaties" but I respectfully disagree in what you posted. Before I go further I want to say, I respect you for fighting for America in Vietnam. I salute you for your service.

That aside, what do you say to this woman?

YouTube - Suzanna Gratia Hupp explains meaning of 2nd Amendment!

Just because you're in a restaurant with your family and eating a meal, it doesn't mean violence will not come your way. I have a fundamental right to protect myself, AND my family at all times without regard to where I am.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/707779/posts

Read the reader comments below that article.

Last edited by Dregg; 04-02-2011 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
4,761 posts, read 6,436,322 times
Reputation: 5271
In North Carolina, a person with a concealed carry permit, who is carrying at the time, may not have any alcohol in their system. They are held more accountable for where and how they carry their firearm than those without a permit. Should a person carry into an establishment that serves alcohol, and proceed to drink, they absolutely should have their permit revoked.

And if you believe that the police will be there to protect you, think again. Courts have held that the police have no duty to provide protection. Simply put, they just have to do the paperwork when you are victimized. So, if the police have no duty to protect you, shouldn't you be willing to take that duty upon yourself? I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 AM
 
41 posts, read 177,473 times
Reputation: 34
maybe off topic, but in NC especially near Cary, any place to shoot/practice handgun? is it have to be in commercial shooting range that I have to pay lots of $$$?

I saw some youtube video, ppl seems to be shooting in the open/back yard?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 10:57 AM
 
2 posts, read 5,840 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66 View Post
maybe off topic, but in NC especially near Cary, any place to shoot/practice handgun? is it have to be in commercial shooting range that I have to pay lots of $$$?
Check out the Wake County Firearms Education & Training Center in Apex:

WakeGOV.com - Firearms Education & Training

You'll need to attend an intro training class first, and it's $10 an hour to shoot afterwards. Seriously, it's a first class range: huge, friendly, very professional, very safe. I drive 40 minutes to shoot there. They also have a bunch of other classes, courses, and tournaments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
45 posts, read 251,823 times
Reputation: 69
I don't know if it has been covered yet, but I didn't feel like reading the 6 pages b/c I know there was probably liberal vs conservative gun drama, but the special thing about owning firearms in Cary is this:

First off, Cary isn't the most firearm friendly city. YES, you can conceal carry in accordance with state laws as long as you have a CCW. The special thing is that Cary has a City Ordinance BANNING open Carry.

You see, NC is an open carry state. I can put my pistol on my holster of the side of my hip and walk pretty much anywhere that I would be able to Conceal Carry. (If people get freaked out though, and ask you to leave, you have to abide by their wishes for the most part though b/c you can't be responsible for inciting public fear etc etc). The city of Cary has banned this, so do NOT think you can lay your firearm on your car seat and be legal since it is in the open.

In any other city in NC, you can let your pistol sit on your car seat and be perfectly legal since it is an open carry state.

Hope this clears any confusion up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 03:23 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,068 times
Reputation: 10
Firearms within the Town of Cary ( http://www.townofcary.org/Departments/police/Community_Services/Firearms_within_the_Town_of_Cary.htm?PageMode=Prin t - broken link)

Links to NC General Statues and contact information for Cary PD.



http://ncja.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/a18f57fc-d990-43f0-8982-feb1f4c72deb/NC-Firearms-Laws-Pub-2011.aspx (broken link)

North Carolina DOJ Firearm Laws.

Last edited by hockey22; 11-14-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 01:23 PM
 
38 posts, read 56,764 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikstix View Post
I don't know if it has been covered yet, but I didn't feel like reading the 6 pages b/c I know there was probably liberal vs conservative gun drama, but the special thing about owning firearms in Cary is this:

First off, Cary isn't the most firearm friendly city. YES, you can conceal carry in accordance with state laws as long as you have a CCW. The special thing is that Cary has a City Ordinance BANNING open Carry.

You see, NC is an open carry state. I can put my pistol on my holster of the side of my hip and walk pretty much anywhere that I would be able to Conceal Carry. (If people get freaked out though, and ask you to leave, you have to abide by their wishes for the most part though b/c you can't be responsible for inciting public fear etc etc). The city of Cary has banned this, so do NOT think you can lay your firearm on your car seat and be legal since it is in the open.

In any other city in NC, you can let your pistol sit on your car seat and be perfectly legal since it is an open carry state.

Hope this clears any confusion up.

Just to make an add on to that. It's not illegal to open carry in Cary. Only on public greenways and streets, private property, like walmart, chic-fil-a, etc. is fine. It's a ridiculous law that somehow got grandfather in we need to get rid of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top