Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,668,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
My credit union says "No Concealed Weapons".

So, whip your piece out and rob the place. Don't hide it in your pants.

Just kidding.

You mean hide it in your can......

That brings up a question from muse' post:

The many establishments that say no concealed weapons, what do you do with your weapon then? Return it to a car if you have one? I am serious, what do you do with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,145,716 times
Default but

I have heard many times that the law to carry and use are so different that one needs to look at both. There is a law that even if someone breaks into your house and you shoot them, you need to prove that your life was in danger if you shoot them or you can be convicted. Silly and stupid but true.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:37 AM

770 posts, read 2,747,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I have heard many times that the law to carry and use are so different that one needs to look at both. There is a law that even if someone breaks into your house and you shoot them, you need to prove that your life was in danger if you shoot them or you can be convicted. Silly and stupid but true.
AS I understand it you can shoot someone who is in the process of forcibly entering your home ( I think it's called the Castle ruling /defense). Having entered you have less authority unless they are threatening you or your family.
So, for e.g. , you hear billy the burglar downstairs and you find him about to exit you can't (officially) shoot him. If he picks a knife up and runs towards you - now thats ok in my book.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:11 PM

3,292 posts, read 8,525,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
AS I understand it you can shoot someone who is in the process of forcibly entering your home ( I think it's called the Castle ruling /defense). Having entered you have less authority unless they are threatening you or your family.
So, for e.g. , you hear billy the burglar downstairs and you find him about to exit you can't (officially) shoot him. If he picks a knife up and runs towards you - now thats ok in my book.
It would be pretty easy in a court of law to justify that you "felt you were in danger" if someone breaks into your house. I would dare say any court (at least in this area) would argue that you should not have felt in danger by someone breaking into your house. All you have to say is that you felt you/family felt in danger and that is why you used deadly force. They couldn't prove otherwise.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:30 PM

67 posts, read 333,945 times
Is there a public rifle range in Raleigh (N. Raleigh preferrably)? I'm looking for some place to skeet shoot. Thanks

Old 08-09-2007, 04:40 PM

112 posts, read 758,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
You mean hide it in your can......

That brings up a question from muse' post:

The many establishments that say no concealed weapons, what do you do with your weapon then? Return it to a car if you have one? I am serious, what do you do with them?
Return to your car and lock it up, uncover it (NC is an open carry state), or find another place to do business.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:12 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,668,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd M. View Post
Return to your car and lock it up, uncover it (NC is an open carry state), or find another place to do business.
Thank you Mr. Todd, Sorry if it seemed dumb..but I honestly did not know,

Old 08-09-2007, 08:40 PM

112 posts, read 758,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
Thank you Mr. Todd, Sorry if it seemed dumb..but I honestly did not know,
No problem. No question is dumb when you legitimately do not know the answer.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:19 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,095,424 times
One fellow in Durham was home with a sick baby. Wife had car so home looked unoccupied.

Three no good piece of crap kids cut school and burglarized his garage to get into the house.

He shot them in the back as they tried to run like the rats they were. Their worthless parents wanted the homeowner crucified although the kids had serious juvie records.

Thank heaven this was in NC. Grand jury refused to indict.

Moral is - don't shoot 'em in the back.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:16 PM

76 posts, read 325,386 times
Laws and what actually happen in court are much different. One day one person is convicted and the next one gets off free.

As far as when to shoot: Some states have equal force laws. One person brings a knife to a fight and the other can't bring a gun. And so on. If so the one with the gun is at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina