Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:28 PM

306 posts, read 1,306,450 times

Advertisements

Can you be a true believer in the United States of America and still show animosity towards people from other US states? Could the resentment towards the newcomers be considered unpatriotic?

Old 08-08-2007, 04:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpea View Post
Can you be a true believer in the United States of America and still show animosity towards people from other US states? Could the resentment towards the newcomers be considered unpatriotic?
Some will adapt to change and some won't, no matter what state everyone's piling into.

NC has changed a lot in the last 10-15 years with some of the most rapid growth of any state in the nation.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:37 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,831 times
Good question.
Speaking for myself...I have no animosity towards people from elsewhere...just those who move here and make jokes about "us dumb rednecks..."
I don't think that makes me less patriotic.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Snowpea, not quite sure what prompted you to ask this question, but I will take a stab at it.

No, it is not unpatriotic to resent any newcomer to your city or state when they flood in in such record numbers that infrastructure and schools are seriously taxed AND when they get here they do nothing but find things to complain about (why aren't the roads wider, why are there so many trailers at my kids school, why don't they have decent pizza, blah, blah, blah.)

But make no mistake, the minute those twin towers were attacked on Sept 11, we were all Americans, whether we liked each other of not, whether we "resented" each other or not. It's kind of like that annoying big bully of a brother we get so aggravated with, but let somebody else pick a fight with him and all bets are off

Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,878 times
Quote:
Yes. No. Next question.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:54 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Snowpea, not quite sure what prompted you to ask this question, but I will take a stab at it.

No, it is not unpatriotic to resent any newcomer to your city or state when they flood in in such record numbers that infrastructure and schools are seriously taxed AND when they get here they do nothing but find things to complain about (why aren't the roads wider, why are there so many trailers at my kids school, why don't they have decent pizza, blah, blah, blah.)

But make no mistake, the minute those twin towers were attacked on Sept 11, we were all Americans, whether we liked each other of not, whether we "resented" each other or not. It's kind of like that annoying big bully of a brother we get so aggravated with, but let somebody else pick a fight with him and all bets are off

Great post...

Bottom line is this; WE might see the differences in each other, but when it comes down to it we're all Americans and we mostly value the same things and are much more similiar then we are different. People that hate our way of life don't think of us as Northern/Southern/Western/Eastern Americans...they look at us as Americans...period! We are the same people with regional differences, just like any other country in the world.

I would feel the same way if a Terrorist blew up any building in Raleigh as I would if they blow up the Space Needle in Seattle.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:46 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
RE: "Do N. Carolinians believe in the United States?"

Of course they do. Maybe a better question would be, "Do transplants believe in North Carolina?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's kind of like that annoying big bully of a brother we get so aggravated with, but let somebody else pick a fight with him and all bets are off
That's sort of like how I see it.

The United States is just one governmental body, and just b/c someone might feel obligated to North Carolina doesn't mean they don't feel equally obligated to the United States.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 AM

34 posts, read 97,855 times
Quote:

Good Question, America is so diverse you would think that no matter where you choose to live that acceptance of any American would be common place. Then again its kinda like high school, mine is better than yours.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:45 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone here has any animosity toward anyone for being a newcomer. Not liking the way a person behaves is different than not liking the person. Behavior can be changed. People are pretty much stuck with what has been given them as a person. We just all do the best we can. I am not going to spend any more time than I have to being around someone with a filthy mouth berating my ancestors. If they clean up their mouth and their attitude they will become acceptable to me. I like that we live in a free country where we have a choice for making our own friends.

I think our country is probably the best country in the world, but it certainly has a lot of room for improvement.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:52 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,944 times
Hello, Nc is home to Fort Bragg ,cherry point, Seymore johnson airforce base ect ect, Also I hate to break this news but the resentment towards NY and NJ is not select to NC, fom what I can see its across the whole country, heck even NYers talk junk about NJ and so back the other way, I only dislike the folks with agendas and bad tudes otherwise its all peace and love all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina