U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2007, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Reputation: 39844

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
What about the people who owned the house that they bought?

Unless the previous owner died or moved across the country then somewhere down the chain someone bought a new home and thus you indirectly contributed to suburban sprawl.

I'm not knocking you for buying in an established neighborhood, I generally prefer them to new homes, but it takes some real mental gymnastics to think that as a newcomer you aren't contributing to the problem of sprawl by purchasing an existing home.
You are missing Groove's point - the fact is, there are many resale homes already available without having to create SO MANY new developments. But 99% of the folks coming here seem to want their big, new, all the bells and whistles, McMansions.

 
Old 08-09-2007, 08:49 AM
 
577 posts, read 1,733,215 times
Reputation: 325
Ask your self who would want a place you grew up in with great QOL that you have helped form into a great place to raise a family and some day your grand kids, turn into a free for all overcrowded ,over priced cookie cutter soul less rude enviroment that people whom lived in trailers up north sell for 300,000 and move here and act like they are above every one from here just because they lived in a over priced state and lucked out? If you anwser yes something is wrong with you.Alot of us look at the price differences from the past bubble as a disadvantage to the hard working middle class of southerners which has caused life to be tougher due to inflated prices here and lower QOL. If you read these boards this is a common issue in all growing states not just NC, its kinda like the lucky against the local under dog. But understand this is not a new thing people have been tranplanting here from up north for as long as I can remember and everyone gets along in the end I do thik NY MA NJ get the brunt of abuse because the stand out and have trouble blending in like CA or another midwest or southern state.
 
Old 08-09-2007, 08:58 AM
 
34 posts, read 89,932 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMeOutOfNY View Post
A lot of threads on here eventually turn anti-Yankee. Being yet another Yankee looking to relocate, I was just curious of what exactly "we" do to make the natives dislike us so much.

From what I gather - we are moving down there by the busload, overcrowding the schools and roads, forcing the taxes up to pay for improved infrastructure, and complaining about the different stores and food we may be used to. For example, I am used to grabbing an egg sandwich from the deli in the morning before work. I am so used to having that, that it would seem strange if trying to get that is not an option. I wouldn't "understand why I can't get one" - but I sure would love some Cracker Barrel on the weekends.

As a New Yorker looking to get out, a beautiful new house with some land and low taxes is very appealing. I have no hope of ever owning that up here given the cost of living. Yes, I will probably move to a nice new cul-de-sac development which was once farm land or open space. Is it really "our fault" that there are affordable places being built that are attractive to us? If it is going to overtax the infrastructure isn't that the fault of the poor planning of the local government (and/or developers)? We all know they would never take a break from over construction... there is too much money at stake.

Eventually some areas of NC will become "Little Long Island" and people will be squeezed out of there until we find a new place to ruin. We will complain about the overcrowding and the taxes, then leave the waste land en masse looking for a new place to "destroy". Kentucky, here we come. Sound right?
Look before you leap! and watch out for a lot of flack from this post, hopefully it wont get locked down like my post of yankee calling all yankees, some people just can't handle the truth!!!! But hey this is America right? Land of the free and all.
 
Old 08-09-2007, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Home is where we park it.
3,098 posts, read 8,336,683 times
Reputation: 3185
Well, in spite of what some people think, we don't hate yankees by default.

What we hate is the assumption that we are "uneducated hicks in a backwater that y'all have come to save from ourselves" (that's how some yankees act even if they don't actually SAY it.)

1) Embrace our culture and don't tell us how much better your's was back home.

2) Enjoy our local restaurants (NOT the chains) without complaining about why you can't get NY/Chicago or whatever pizza/bagels, etc here IN NC...OUR cuisine is NOT PIZZA. It's pig pickin's and oyster shuckin's.

3) Wave at people all the time.

4) Slow down your life...you will actually feel better.

5) Remember southerners take pride in being nosy, get over it. It's because we CARE.

If you remember these things, you won't have the troubles others do when you get down here. Liz
 
Old 08-09-2007, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Home is where we park it.
3,098 posts, read 8,336,683 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
But 99% of the folks coming here seem to want their big, new, all the bells and whistles, McMansions.
Lot of the LOCALS want those too! Liz
 
Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 AM
 
331 posts, read 1,032,905 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are missing Groove's point - the fact is, there are many resale homes already available without having to create SO MANY new developments. But 99% of the folks coming here seem to want their big, new, all the bells and whistles, McMansions.
Now that you put that way I understand his point. Still, it isn't as if new homes are going up while existing homes are sitting vacant. Purchasing any single family home contributes to sprawl. If a person really wants to combat sprawl then greater density is the only option but not many people want to live like that (certainly not me). Density is the very things that most transplants are trying to escape.
 
Old 08-09-2007, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,764,437 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are missing Groove's point - the fact is, there are many resale homes already available without having to create SO MANY new developments. But 99% of the folks coming here seem to want their big, new, all the bells and whistles, McMansions.
Exactly. If everyone buys an exisitng home (and there are plenty), there is no demand for new development. No demand means the builders (destroyers imo) won't destroy or build anyhting. We have so many issues in CLT with ozone and much of it is caused by the destruction of trees. This is likely going to cause us not to meet the 2010 federal ozone standards and our hwy funding from the feds will be cut. And you think traffic is bad now?
 
Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Now that you put that way I understand his point. Still, it isn't as if new homes are going up while existing homes are sitting vacant. Purchasing any single family home contributes to sprawl. If a person really wants to combat sprawl then greater density is the only option but not many people want to live like that (certainly not me). Density is the very things that most transplants are trying to escape.
It reminds me of how a drowning person will drown their rescuer just to try to get out of the water.
 
Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Apex, NC
3,031 posts, read 7,376,836 times
Reputation: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Exactly. If everyone buys an exisitng home (and there are plenty), there is no demand for new development. No demand means the builders (destroyers imo) won't destroy or build anyhting. We have so many issues in CLT with ozone and much of it is caused by the destruction of trees. This is likely going to cause us not to meet the 2010 federal ozone standards and our hwy funding from the feds will be cut. And you think traffic is bad now?
This is simply not true. We bought a 10 y/o home in Raleigh, then the owner of that house bought a bigger new home in a cheaper section of the city. She is an NC native BTW. So most people selling those "older" homes will turn around a by a brand new house when their home sells.

Tell me what the difference is, if I just bought the new home to begin with and the other person just decided to stay in their old home? Just because I buy an older home, doesn't mean the person that lives there no longer matters. They need to move somewhere else...
 
Old 08-09-2007, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,808 posts, read 5,858,372 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Ask your self who would want a place you grew up in with great QOL that you have helped form into a great place to raise a family and some day your grand kids, turn into a free for all overcrowded ,over priced cookie cutter soul less rude enviroment that people whom lived in trailers up north sell for 300,000 and move here and act like they are above every one from here just because they lived in a over priced state and lucked out? If you anwser yes something is wrong with you.Alot of us look at the price differences from the past bubble as a disadvantage to the hard working middle class of southerners which has caused life to be tougher due to inflated prices here and lower QOL. If you read these boards this is a common issue in all growing states not just NC, its kinda like the lucky against the local under dog. But understand this is not a new thing people have been tranplanting here from up north for as long as I can remember and everyone gets along in the end I do thik NY MA NJ get the brunt of abuse because the stand out and have trouble blending in like CA or another midwest or southern state.
FWIW, not all of us come down here with a huge amount of cash to plunk down on a home, though I can see how it may seem that way.

We hope to someday contribute and give back to our new community to help make sure that the QOL continues to be good and strong, for everyone. We can do that by volunteering, having good jobs that contribute to the local economy, and just being responsible citizens. We don't want to take anything away from anybody else.

But let me pose a question to you...

Would you rather pay $400K + to live in 700 square feet (or less) of condo space, or would you rather spend less than that to own a single family home? For us, the answer is clear... and that's part of the reason we decided to relocate.

Honestly, we aren't trying to step on anyone's toes here... really, we aren't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top